Windows 10: What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

Discus and support What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; sdfsdfasdf [This article has been significantly revised and updated since its original publication. in January 2016] Microsoft's ambitious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

[ug]sdfsdfasdf[/ug]
    The text that appears in the fine print at the bottom of that page has changed slightly over the past year. Here's how it now reads (emphasis added):

What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016? [​IMG]

The fine print on the Windows 10 upgrade offer, as of June 2016.

Here's the tl;dr version if you don't want to keep reading:

1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.

2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.

3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

In fact, Microsoft's real goal with this upgrade offer isn't just to get its installed Windows 10 base to a billion. The long-term goal is to help close the books on Windows 7 in an orderly fashion before its extended support commitment ends on January 14, 2020...

Read more: What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016? | ZDNet

See also: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

Brink, Jan 28, 2016
  2. lx07 Win User

They will extend it I'm sure.

:)

3. How to reserve free windows 10 upgrade from windows 8.1 after 29, July 2016

I have seven computers running Windows 8.1 Pro, Recently I have upgraded. my four system to windows 10,

I've got a question that is my remaining windows which i have not upgraded to windows 10 is eligible for free upgrade for windows 10 after 29, July 2016.

If yes then what is the process to do after 29 July 2016, If no then is there any way to reserve that free upgrade for future (after 29 July 2016)

vinodjames, Jan 28, 2016
  4. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

Gordon B-P, Jan 28, 2016
  5. unifex Win User
    I am not going to upgrade my Windows 7 machines at all and so I don't care one way or another. My Windows 10 copy has it's own license key, but I have it just for fun and testing purposes. It's not good for work. That's why I'm keeping Windows 7. I do wonder as one of the commenters on ZDNet mentioned, how exactly they want to "end support" for Windows 7 on new hardware? Do they have an agreement with Intel that Windows 7 drivers will suddenly stop working after some date? That would certainly be illegal. Otherwise, I don't see what would prevent me from installing Windows 7 on a Skylake based machine ... (I already run Windows 7 on an Acer laptop designed for Windows 8; Acer does not provide any support for Windows 7 on that laptop, yet that's where I'm writing this post now - works like a charm).

unifex, Jan 28, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    There are still too many niggling Windows 10 issues so I won't upgrade my main Windows 8.1 desktop PC until I'm content. I have Windows 10 on my laptop so I'll decide whether to upgrade the desktop based on how reliable MS software engineering is over the next few months.

Steve C, Jan 28, 2016
  7. I too have Windows 10 on my hobby laptop for the same purpose, i.e. gauging when I can safely upgrade my more important computers. Unfortunately, my present view is that you can't gauge that with a single computer, because Windows 10 is presently inconsistent from one computer to the next (you can see plenty of lucky and unlucky users on this forum)

The quoted article in the OP says that the most likely scenario #3 extends the free upgrade year for a second year. I should hope that by then the OS is safe to upgrade to.

FrozenCursor, Jan 28, 2016
  8. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

Microsoft no longer provides Windows Updates under those specified terms.

9. lx07 Win User
    Not quite true. They just don't guarantee that Windows 7 will work with new processor architecture and unless your new PC is on their (rather limited) list they will not bother fixing it.

If you buy a new SkyLake laptop today and downgrade it to Windows 7 then unless it is Lenovo or HP you are on your own. Even if it is on their list that is only for 18 months.

If you buy a new laptop next year with whatever new architecture then you are definitely on your own.

There is a whole thread about it here Microsoft warns enterprises to upgrade to Windows 10 or be left behind - Windows 10 Forums but I think it is just bla bla to push people to upgrade even if they don't want to.

I imagine (though to be honest I can't be bothered to test it) I could install NT4 or Windows 95 and that would still probably work (even though I was not even born at the time).

10. No old computers won't stop working but computers sold after the date with the the Skylake processor restriction for older OS's. The PC now even if it's a Skylake won't have the restriction built in.

orlbuckeye, Jan 28, 2016
  11. Well, rather than interpreting a tenforums' thread discussing what winbeta.org wrote about Microsoft, how about getting it straight from the horse's mouth?

Here is Microsoft's own blog post by Terry Myerson, Executive VP at Microsoft

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...on-innovation/

12. No since the restriction is built into the processor you won't be able to install and older Windows OS on that Intel processor. Windows 7 updates will be sent out until the day when support ends.

orlbuckeye, Jan 28, 2016
  13. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

Check the specified terms in the original Microsoft blog post linked to in my previous post.

14. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

We're exactly six months through Microsoft's unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 10. The offer officially expires July 29, 2016, on the one-year anniversary of the new operating system's release. But what happens then? I see three possible scenarios.

Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-ha...-july-29-2016/

Cluster Head, Apr 3, 2016
  15. Berton Win User
    According to my calendars we have under 4 months until that deadline. That article was written by Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | January 29, 2016.

Berton, Apr 3, 2016
Thema:

What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

1. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016? - Similar Threads - happens those free

2. What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?: I have both Windows 7 and 8.x retail licenses. They have now been used up by upgrading to Windows 10 (both as hosts and as vm's). A few questions: 1) Where can I find Microsoft information as to what will happen with these licenses after July 29, 2016, i.e. after the...
  3. future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    future questions about getting a free upgrade after 29 July: As far as I know, the free upgrade to 10 is going away in a few hours. I speculate that there will be at least a few posts asking how to get the free upgrade after the offer's expiration. (That may include some who do an upgrade through means other than Windows Update,...
  4. How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016?

How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016?: How shall users upgrade to free Windows 10 after July 29, 2016 if they need to reinstall OS? What should they prepare for reinstallation of Windows 10 in the future, creating a copy or what else? Thank you for your answer. 54729
  5. How to get Windows 10 after July 29

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get Windows 10 after July 29: I have Windows 8.1 and am not upgrading to Windows 10 for awhile to see how things go. I noticed today July 29th that the upgrade icon in my taskbar disappeared. So when I decide to upgrade will I need to go to Windows Update or Windows Store ? 9424
  6. what happens after 29 July

what happens after 29 July: What happens after 29 July 2016 if you have to (or just want to) reformat a machine that either had windows 8 preinstalled (the case with my laptop) or had an OEM windows 7 home premium disc (my desktop). Out of curiosity could I reformat and revert to windows 7 on the...
  7. Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Free Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile Will Continue Past July 29: After I asked about whether the free upgrade for Windows 10 Mobile would end on July 29 as it is for Windows 10 for PCs, Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar clarified the firm’s evolving strategy: The Windows 10 Mobile upgrade will now continue to be free past the end of the month....
  8. Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends When Windows 10 was released to consumers in July of 2015, it was free for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users — for one year. This was a new tactic for Microsoft. Instead of having consumers pay for...
  9. Windows 10: What to expect on July 29

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: What to expect on July 29: With the launch of Windows 10 less than a week away, here’s what you can expect to find when the operating system launches on July 29. It’s not quite as simple as “Windows 10 will be available that day.” Windows Insiders (read: Windows 10 preview testers) will get first...
  10. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?: Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know. 8167