Windows 10: What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?

Discus and support What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I need to delete two older User Names / Desktops. There are some items that we would like to keep / maintain. Is it possible to retain these Windows... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Mike Lynch, Feb 15, 2020.

1. What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?

I need to delete two older User Names / Desktops.

There are some items that we would like to keep / maintain.

Is it possible to retain these Windows 10 Desktop Items / Icons?

:)

Mike Lynch, Feb 15, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - delting photo in user profile

Hi Claus,

Thank you posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, you need to know how to delete a photo that you have added to your user profile on the system.

I certainly understand your concern.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Get into this PC window and open the C:Drive where your Windows operating system is installed. If you have it in another drive then get into it.
    • Double-click the View option of the Menu Bar and make sure to select the checkbox which is for Hidden Items.
    • After enabling the Hidden Items box, you can view the secret or hidden folders with a glass like look of the
      C: Drive on your screen.
    • The OS stores all the user account pictures in a secret location. So the above steps will enable you to follow the below path and see the contents.
    C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

• All the earlier used pictures will be seen there. Hence, delete the unrequired ones.
    • Alternatively, instead of doing so many adjustments, you can directly copy and paste the below path in the File Explorer or on Run command
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

• This will also fetch you the same location without going through any modifications for the hidden places.
    • Now, opt for undesirable photographs and tap on Delete button.
    • Done.
    For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by
    “Nessalive” replied on May 21, 2013 in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

Remove account picture

The above article holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Feb 15, 2020
  4. What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?

Copy desktop items between users

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that, in most of the cases it will be possible to copy desktop items from a different user profile.

It may not be possible to copy desktop items from a different user profile if the user profile is corrupted\password protected.

Follow the path:

C:\Users\User name\ Desktop

Note: Under Public folder click on
    View tab and check Hidden items if you don’t find
    Public Desktop folder.

Hope it helps.

Kindly let us know if you need further assistance on Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted?

1. What happens to W10 Users Desktop Items when their Profile is deleted? - Similar Threads - happens W10 Users

2. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user profile deleted: I am resetting my Windows 10 laptop. Tried to clean ALL files & re-login. But it saysThe User Profile Service service failed the sign-inUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-deleted/22cf925c-474c-459a-950a-435569558fdf
  3. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    user profile deleted: I am resetting my Windows 10 laptop. Tried to clean ALL files & re-login. But it saysThe User Profile Service service failed the sign-inUser profile cannot be loaded https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-deleted/22cf925c-474c-459a-950a-435569558fdf
  4. user profile deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Delete User Profile

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  6. Delete User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete User Profile: I see a second user profile that auto pops up at the Windows Hello sign in. It asks for the username and password and I believe it's an account I accidentally created somehow. How do I delete this profile? I checked in Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Manage...
  7. Delete User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Deleting a User Profile.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting a User Profile.: I have 2 profiles on my laptop and I want to delete the secondary one as it is no longer used. How to delete the user profile along with the data? And how to do delete while retaining the data? And will deleting a profile of 80+ Gigs improve the performance of my laptop?...
  9. Deleting a User Profile.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting a User Profile.: I have 2 profiles on my laptop and I want to delete the secondary one as it is no longer used. How to delete the user profile along with the data? And how to do delete while retaining the data? And will deleting a profile of 80+ Gigs improve the performance of my laptop?...
  10. Windows just deleted the desktop settings and user profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows just deleted the desktop settings and user profile: i am unable to access any files beyond a desktop which first showed just the empty recycle icon. It comes up with my user name ... when I type in my PIN it accepts it spins for a minute and screen goes black. Nothing happens ... no desktop display at all now. Even the...