Windows 10: What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?

Discus and support What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Family 3-Pack of Windows 7 Home Premium installed and activated on 3 PCs using the same Product Key. If I upgrade one of the PCs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TV2, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?

I have a Family 3-Pack of Windows 7 Home Premium installed and activated on 3 PCs using the same Product Key.

If I upgrade one of the PCs to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, does that free up one of the Windows 7 licenses to use on another PC?

:)

2. What happens to my Win7 retail boxed license after update to Win10?

I'd like to know if i can use in a few months my Win7 retail boxed serial, to activate my Win7 on a completely new PC (I'll change my desktop configuration in march/april 2016), then update for free to Win10 (before 7/29/2016, of course).

I need to know if my Win7 retail boxed serial will be still usable after Win10 free upgrade?

Thanks a lot

CelestronC14, Jan 8, 2016
  3. 4RLM Win User
    What happens to my existing Windows 7/8.1 licenses after my free Windows 10 upgrade?

I have 2 Windows 7 OEM licenses, a Windows 7 Retail license, and a Windows 8.1 OEM license (all legitimately obtained and activated-no pirating). My primary system is a laptop that came with Win8.1 OEM, which I had to downgrade to Win7 OEM (due to software
    incompatibilities with Win8.1), and I have since used the Win8.1 key embedded in the laptop's UEFI to install Win8.1 OEM in a Virtual Machine on that laptop.

I understand what license types I will get if I upgrade my systems to Win10 (i.e. OEM 7/8.1 to OEM 10, Retail 7 to Retail 10) and what those licenses entail (such as transfer and support rights). However, I need to know what happens to those old licenses
    if I take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade offer. If I upgrade the Win7 Retail copy to Win10, will I still be able to use the Win7 Retail copy on a separate computer (or VM), or will that license become unusable/invalid? If I upgrade from Win7 OEM to
    Win10 OEM, can I install Win7 with that OEM license to a VM on the same hardware, or am I essentially trading the Win7 license for a Win10 license?

Basically it boils down to this question: Is the free upgrade program replacing my exiting Win7/8.1 licenses with Win10 licenses and then invalidating/revoking those Win7/8.1 licenses, or am I getting Win10 licenses
    in addition to the Win7/8.1 licenses I already have?

4RLM, Jan 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You have a license for 3 installations of Windows and 3 only. It can be any combination of Windows 7 or upgrades to Windows 10 but only 3 total.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2016
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Got it. Thanks.
    Hope springs eternal *chuckle

6. davidhk Win User
    No. That win 7 key is still tied up to the system which is now running Win 10.
    Can't use it to a 4th computer.

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Quick clarification: If I upgrade from 7 to 10 in order to get the PC activated on Microsoft's servers for my free upgrade, then restore my Windows 7 image to continue using it for a while - am I all set in terms of licensing? I am using either one or the other and all is cool?

8. davidhk Win User

Yes. You'll be ok in that case.

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I just updated on another W7 PC (not a clean install). It went much better than I expected. I am pleasantly surprised. I may just keep it.

My Office machine is much more complex.

10. davidhk Win User
    Yes. Cut Win 10 some slacks. Get used to it. It's not as bad as some insist.
    I have one running RTM Home version 10586, and one running Insider Preview 11082. I have no issues at all.
    There are programs I detest, but I don't have to use them.

davidhk, Jan 9, 2016
  11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Agreed. I find it fairly customizable with some notable exceptions.
    But I am working on it now. It will look like Win 7 by days end.

Thema:

1. What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - happens Win7 License

2. upgrade win7 to win10 using a win11 license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade win7 to win10 using a win11 license: Good morningI wanted to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, but we can't find windows 10 licenses anymore from our resellersPC is not compatible with windows 11I wanted to ask if it was possible to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 using a windows 11 licenseI know that...
  3. upgrade win7 to win10 using a win11 license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade win7 to win10 using a win11 license: Good morningI wanted to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, but we can't find windows 10 licenses anymore from our resellersPC is not compatible with windows 11I wanted to ask if it was possible to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 using a windows 11 licenseI know that...
  4. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  5. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  6. what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?: the problem is when i download a program or look at a website, it has a low picture quality and it bugs me. my theory is that my os still thinks im windows 7 because i found out that i have a folder named "win7" and the files and programs from my desktop is copied in that...
  7. What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?: I recently purchased a PC running Windows 10 Home. I have another PC which originally ran Windows 8, and which I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license on. I am planning to transfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the new PC. Is there any way to revert the old PC to Windows 8 or...
  8. What Happens to Windows 10 Pro Digital License (Purchased upgrade) after In-warranty...

What Happens to Windows 10 Pro Digital License (Purchased upgrade) after In-warranty...: Hello, I purchased a Surface Go with Windows 10 Home. Love it. Then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro at Microsoft Store. I dropped the thing, the screen shattered, machine broke (not booting up), and had it sent for hardware replacement. The hardware replacement comes with...
  9. upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?: If I replace my motherboard, will I still keep my windows 10 license (free upgrade done)? My Windows Activated Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA178 Changing my motherboard from the old GA-EG31M-S2 to GA-H61M-S2V-B3 My hard-drive stays the same!...
  10. What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day?

What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day?: As per title. I've upgraded my Win7Pro to Win10 Professional a few months ago. I want to install Win7 back for testing purposes. I still have my Win7 activation key. What's going to happen after the testing when I'll install Win10 again? Will it be activated or will I...