Windows 10: What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

Discus and support What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So im just wondering, how does Windows react when one of the drives making up half of a striped volume in disk management dies? Does Windows continue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GarbageSauce, Oct 13, 2019.

1. What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

So im just wondering, how does Windows react when one of the drives making up half of a striped volume in disk management dies? Does Windows continue to mount and allow me to view what’s on the other drive?

What about when this happens to a mirrored volume? Is the surviving drive still mountable and would I be able to recover my files? Does Windows solicit a new drive to rebuild the mirror?

I am asking this because I’m looking for some basic backup solutions and after hearing about countless horror stories of software based raid controllers (disk management) malfunctioning and causing serious data loss, I’m honestly considering just mounting both backup drives separately and using something like SyncToy to mirror one to the other.

:)

GarbageSauce, Oct 13, 2019

2. how Windows 10 mirroring using AMAZON Fire TV stick?

Hi,

Try this.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open Action Centre.
    • Click on Connect.
    • PC will search and show which devices are available to mirror/cast.
    • Click on the device which you would like to mirror/cast.

Please do let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Oct 13, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    My Drive Turned Into Dynamic Disk ! Please Help me !!! What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies? :(

If you right click the Pen Drive do you get either of the options, 'Break Mirrored Volume' or 'Remove Mirror'?

To break a mirrored set, follow these steps:

• In Disk Management, right-click one of the drives in the mirrored set, and then choose Break Mirrored Volume.
    • Confirm that you want to break the mirrored set by clicking Yes.
    • If the volume is currently in use, you'll see another warning dialog box. Confirm that it's okay to continue by clicking Yes.

To remove a mirror, follow these steps:

• In Disk Management, right-click one of the volumes in the mirrored set, and then choose Remove Mirror
    • In the Remove Mirror dialog, select the disk from which to remove the mirror.
    • If the mirror contains a boot or system volume, you should remove the mirror from the secondary drive rather than the primary. For example, if Drive 0 and Drive 1 are mirrored, remove Drive 1 rather than Drive 0
    • Confirm the action when prompted. All data on the removed mirror is deleted.

DaveM121, Oct 13, 2019
  4. What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

Mirrored drives

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I will certainly help you with this.

As this issue is confined to Mirroring drives, I suggest you to post this query on Microsoft TechNet forum for better suggestion:

Technet forums

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Thank you

Parth P Patel, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies?

1. What happens when a striped and mirrored drive dies? - Similar Threads - happens striped mirrored

2. What is happening to my E-drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is happening to my E-drive?: What is the "WindowsApp" folder doing in my drive E? So I download my games in drive E. Previously it was only Bluestacks Fifa Mobile but yesterday I downloaded the game World of tanks Blitz 8 gb via Chrome. then I downloaded a game World of Warships which is from the same...
  3. Select what happens with removeable drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select what happens with removeable drives: i get this error randomly while playing games but i dont have any removeable drives i have 1 hdd and when that error shows up anything on my hdd crashes and it happens so often what might be the problem...
  4. What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done

in Windows 10 Customization
    What Happens to Other Drives When a clean installation is done: Hi, I am using a windows 10 pro 32 bit architecture pc.My pc had become so slow these days so i thought to do a clean installation.But i have few important files in other disks like that of the photo uploaded.I have a doubt if the data in disk other than the system reserved...
  5. Mirroring a striped volume with another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirroring a striped volume with another drive: Hello everyone. I have 3 drives: two 1TB drives and one 2TB drive. I currently have a striped volume setup for the two 1TB drives. I am wondering: is there a way to mirror the striped volume with my 2TB drive? I am realizing that this is likely not possible with Windows Disk...
  6. Mirror Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mirror Hard Drive: I am trying to mirror my hard drive with an external hard drive. However the add mirror is greyed out. How can I get it ungreyed out. I have created a volume for the external hard drive that didn't work. I tried creating a pool that didn't work. Why is it greyed out....
  7. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...
  8. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...
  9. Software mirror drive - What if OS changed

Software mirror drive - What if OS changed: If the OS used to set up a mirror drive is changed to W7, W8 or a different install of W10, does the mirror drive has to be set up from scratch again? 27987
  10. Whats happened to my hard drive?

Whats happened to my hard drive?: I have two disks, one 256gb SSD which my OS was installed on. The other is a 1tb HDD that had all my data on. I just "refreshed" windows using the delete all option. When asked, I selected only erase the disk containing my OS Now the reinstall is done, my HDD seems to be...