Windows 10: what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it?

Discus and support what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I want to return my dell computer to costco. I have already licensed the office suite on it (not 365). I am assuming I won't be able to use that key... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by ydono, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ydono Win User

what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it?

I want to return my dell computer to costco. I have already licensed the office suite on it (not 365). I am assuming I won't be able to use that key code on my replacement computer. So, how does this work?

:)

ydono, Jan 28, 2020

2. Office 2013 retail is “permanently assigned” to a single computer

Here's an update to the policy, which Microsoft probably made after reading this thread (because TPU is tops on their list *Smile what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it? :) ):

Office News Blog

OnePostWonder, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Office 365 Home and Personal Licensing and Activation Improvements Office

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...on/ba-p/788745

Brink, Jan 28, 2020
  4. what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it?

Office 2013 retail is “permanently assigned” to a single computer

what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it? 3ccc2441-b2d8-411a-8edb-3b922565967d.jpg

There have been some licensing tweaks in the latest retail version of Microsoft Office that users may be surprised by and they are definitely not in your favour. It’s easy to skim through and accept the terms when you install new software but eagle eyed reporter Adam Turner of The Age confirms the drastic changes to the Office 2013 license are real and could impact many buyers who upgrade, refresh or even repair their PC hardware.

When you install your new retail copy of Microsoft Office 2013 on your computer the license is tied to that machine for its life. If your machine goes kaput or you upgrade to a new computer then you can’t reinstall this copy of Office onto the new machine, you’ll have to buy a new copy which will be then tied to that machine. This new license is a lot like the Windows OEM license, but applying it to an application suite rather than an operating system seems far less reasonable. In effect the new Office 2013 retail and OEM licenses are the same.

Here is the key difference in the Microsoft Office 2010 and Office 2013 retail licenses, as highlighted by Hot Hardware:

Office 2010: “One Copy per Device. You may install one copy of the software on one device. That device is the ‘licensed device.’”Office 2013: “One Copy per Device. The software license is permanently assigned to the device with which the software is distributed. That device is the ‘licensed device.’”

The Age reporter suggests that this licensing change is designed to push users from buying Office to subscribing to Office 365. In trying to clear up exactly what rights he had as an installer of a retail copy of Microsoft Office 2013 Turner contacted Microsoft and got the following answer; “A perpetual license of Office 2013 can only be installed on one personal computer. This means that the customer can only install it on one device, either a desktop or laptop, but not both. If the customer has a system crash, they are allowed to reinstall Office on that same computer. If there are problems with this process, customers can contact Microsoft technical support.” A later communication from Microsoft’s PR department added “No, the customer cannot transfer the license from one PC to another PC.”

So it seems like “upgrading” to Office 2013 will downgrade your license to be equivalent to an OEM one, the same is true for new buyers of retail Office 2013. However the situation remains a little unclear and Turner is still waiting for more precise answers to his queries about various circumstances when you might need to re-install Office.

When we looked at the latest Office release it was noticed that Microsoft had been a bit stingy and whereas with the 2010 edition there were 3-user home licenses available, the 2013 edition only had single-user home versions on offer. Meanwhile there are many other office productivity suites available, several of them for free, including the excellent LibreOffice 4.0 launched last week.

Office 2013 retail is “permanently assigned” to a single computer

micropage7, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it?

1. what happens when I return a computer that has licensed office on it? - Similar Threads - happens return computer

2. What happened to the "Return To MSN Homepage" feature ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to the "Return To MSN Homepage" feature ?: Please Help:In the past whenever I was on the MSN homepage & clicked on a scrolling headline or used search it would go to that/those pages & @ the top left there used to be an option "Return To MSN Homepage" you could click on & it would do just that.It has dissapeared & now...
  3. What happened to the "Return To MSN Homepage" feature ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happened to the "Return To MSN Homepage" feature ?: Please Help:In the past whenever I was on the MSN homepage & clicked on a scrolling headline or used search it would go to that/those pages & @ the top left there used to be an option "Return To MSN Homepage" you could click on & it would do just that.It has dissapeared & now...
  4. What has happened?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What has happened?: I've exhausted every step known to man. This is a fresh install of windows 10 and this is how it installed. It will not detect hardware and it will not accept the manufacturers drivers....
  5. What has happened?

What has happened?: I've exhausted every step known to man. This is a fresh install of windows 10 and this is how it installed. It will not detect hardware and it will not accept the manufacturers drivers....
  6. What has happened?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. what happened to my Office products?

what happened to my Office products?: my office 2019 stopped working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happened-to-my-office-products/177426a3-b216-4076-b631-65629aad81d2
  8. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CORTANA???

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO CORTANA???: After a recent update Cortana dies not work like it use to before the update. My laptop has windows 10 pro installed on it. Windows 10 pro is up to date. I have reset my pc but this did not fix the issue with Cortana. I wish I had not have reset windows 10. I lost some...
  9. What has happened to Windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What has happened to Windows?: I don't understand what is going on at Microsoft. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about 2 years ago and initially I thought all was great. Now, with each new Windows 10 update, my high end laptop becomes more like an expensive paperweight. I cannot permanently...
  10. What happens to my Windows license when I switch to a new computer ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What happens to my Windows license when I switch to a new computer ?: On my current circa 2011 PC, i have Windows 10 which I freely upgraded from a previous Windows 8 64 bit, which I installed myself (System Builder license). I want to finally buy a new computer, as my old one is having issues, but I would like to keep the Windows license if...