Windows 10: What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

Discus and support What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'd like to use the File History Back Up feature. I bought a Solid State Drive and now have it running as my system drive. My old drive is connected as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Steven Edward Wood, Apr 5, 2021.

1. What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

I'd like to use the File History Back Up feature. I bought a Solid State Drive and now have it running as my system drive. My old drive is connected as a second drive and has all my saved data. I want to know what will happen if I select my second drive as the Back Up Drive. Will it erase all my saved data? Will I be allowed to select a folder or create a new folder on my Back Up Drive where the saved data will go? I need details so I can understand what will happen if I select a drive that has existing data.

:)

Steven Edward Wood, Apr 5, 2021

2. File History - Cannot "Add a Drive" again after selecting "Stop using drive"

pizzle101,

There is a work around.

Create a new folder in the existing drive or you can select the drive that you need and share it on the network and give permission to everyone and then follow these steps

• Enter File History in the search box, and then tap or click
      File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Change your File History drive page, do one of the following:

• Select a network location, tap or click Add network location, browse to or enter a location, tap or click
        Select folder, and then tap or click OK.

• In the network location \\127.0.0.1 and select the shared drive.

• When you're asked, tap or click Yes to copy all of the versions of your files to the new drive.

Mark Antony86, Apr 5, 2021
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Apr 5, 2021
  4. What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

1. What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up? - Similar Threads - happens select drive

2. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  3. How to select files to be backed up in File History?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to select files to be backed up in File History?: How to select files to be backed up in File History?I am using Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-select-files-to-be-backed-up-in-file/daf5ef55-1097-4ee5-a903-e3e13eaf8c08
  4. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  5. Back up using File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back up using File History: Hi, I am trying to back up using file history but when I try to add a drive it says "No usable drives found". My WD Elements drive works fine and I can save my work there but when I try to Add a drive for back up using file history it says no usable drives found. Please help....
  6. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  7. Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history

Cannot select an existing back up drive in file history: I had to reinstall windows and am currently trying to restore my files from a previous backup. In the reinstall process, it gave my computer a new name. When I have tried to restore my files, I select the drive and only one back up folder is shown. The original back up...
  8. backing up files using File History to a flash drive

backing up files using File History to a flash drive: I have been using File History (Windows 10) to back up my files on a flash drive but am unable to verify that these files have in fact been backed up. They don't appear when I examine the contents of the flash drive using file explorer. I have not needed to recover any...
  9. Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder

Using File History to Back Up a One Drive Folder: Is it possible to use File History to back up a OneDrive folder to a local network drive? Please note that I am >>not<< asking about using a OneDrive folder as the >>target<< of the backup. I want to make a local backup of a OneDrive folder on a local server. When I try...
  10. W10 File History not backing up selected folders

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    W10 File History not backing up selected folders: Been having trouble with my WD external drive backup s/w, it keeps losing track of its external drive, so I decided to simply try using W10 File History to manage things. First, I have installed a SSD and migrated my OS there (as C:/), then formatted and set up all libraries...