Windows 10: What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests?

Discus and support What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The Widgets window on Windows 11 is a controversial feature. It is liked by some users, as it gives quick access to weather and stock market... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 18, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests?

The Widgets window on Windows 11 is a controversial feature. It is liked by some users, as it gives quick access to weather and stock market information, sports, news and a lot more. Others dislike it or consider it unsuitable for minors.

Windows 11 users may customize the display of information to a degree. They can pin and unpin some widgets, or customize their news feed.

News, it turns out, can't be disabled entirely. It is pulled from MSN Home, which itself accumulates news from various newspapers, magazines and online sites. The default selection of news is based on the regional settings of the operating system and interests that Microsoft associates with the user.

The news feed may focus on technology, sports and entertainment for some. Others may see more gossip and celebrity related news, or news about finance.

What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests? windows-widgets.png

Windows 11 users have two main options to customize their news feed:

1. Change interests using a not-so-elegant management interface.
    2. Block stories about certain topics or block entire news sources.

There is also an option to hide the entire Widgets icon on the taskbar.

Users have some control over the news and information that is displayed in the feed. What happens, however, if all interests are unchecked? Won't Windows 11 display any news to a user who disables everything, or will it display a default selection of news based on Microsoft's own preferences?

Windows 11 users can't customize the news feed using Windows 11 controls. Microsoft takes them to the MSN website instead, where interests may be added or removed. Select the Widgets icon, then the user profile icon at the top, and finally the manage interests link displayed on the page to get there.

What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests? windows-11-news-interests-manage.png

Interests are divided into groups, such as gaming, lifestyle or health. Each group lists several smaller groups of interests, such as music, TV or books under Entertainment, or Casual Gaming, Fortnite, or eSports under Gaming.

There is no option to subscribe to an entire group of interests. You can't subscribe to Health or Travel directly, but need to check all the options provided instead. Even then, it is not entirely clear if all gaming news will be prioritized in the news feed, or only those selected.

A search is provided to find other topics of interests. Enter Microsoft, and you get a lot of results. Type Windows or Office, and you get none.

What happens now, when you uncheck all interests? You still get a feed, but this one is not based on interests, as there are none, but on "past activities" according to Microsoft. When you check the selection, you may wonder what activity of yours resulted in the suggestion of these news topics. These may not relate to activities or interests at all.

In closing, it is clear that the customization options for the news feed do not work overly well. Even if you are careful, you may still see news and articles on topics that you are not interested in. Parents may want to hide the entire Widgets interface, so that children are not exposed to the content displayed by it.

More control over the news feed might encourage more Windows 11 users to give it a try.

Now You: do you use the Widgets news feed in Windows 11?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 18, 2023
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Apr 18, 2023
  3. How to disable news and interest in Windows 11 widget

Haylie -

"I DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF THE WHOLE WIDGET, since I want the other widget, however I DO NOT WANT THE NEWS AND INTEREST WIDGET."

I did not show you how to get rid of all Widgets, only to remove the News and Interests Widget, which is exactly what you just said you want.

I also showed how to modify it in my last post, which is what you could do if you actually wanted to keep it and just adjust the news feed. But now you're saying "I DO NOT WANT THE NEWS AND INTEREST WIDGET."

Again here is how to remove the News and Interest Widget in Windows 11 ONLY:

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-news-and-inter...

https://pielaptop.com/how-to-disable-widgets-on...

Here is how to add or remove any other Widget in Windows 11:

https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/add-or-remove-...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Apr 18, 2023
  4. arejfour Win User

w11 weather widget and news feed

How can I just get the weather widget without the news feed? I've tried everything, I can think of, but I have been unable to figure out how I can just have the weather widget without all the news feed. I have no interest in the news feed at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

arejfour, Apr 18, 2023
Thema:

1. What happens when you disable all Windows Widgets Feed Interests? - Similar Threads - happens disable Widgets

2. Disable all News & Interests Feeds but keep only Weather

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable all News & Interests Feeds but keep only Weather: I finally upgraded my windows 10 to windows 11. However, Weather widget is getting massively filled with those useless feeds. I only want to see the weather app in detail when I hover or click on it. Windows 10 was better in this case cause there was a feature called tiles...
  3. Disable all News & Interests Feeds but keep only Weather

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable all News & Interests Feeds but keep only Weather: I finally upgraded my windows 10 to windows 11. However, Weather widget is getting massively filled with those useless feeds. I only want to see the weather app in detail when I hover or click on it. Windows 10 was better in this case cause there was a feature called tiles...
  4. what happened to the news and interests toolbar widget?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what happened to the news and interests toolbar widget?: not too long ago, it got an update that FINALLY allowed it to work on secondary monitors, and on vertical toolbars.....now.....that has been removed....what the hell gives? i LITERALLY only liked it because i could see the temp and the time, just by glancing at my taskbar on...
  5. News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds: I've reset the apps and re-installed latest Windows 10 on top of existing apps and data and also ran sfc /scannow and the following DISM commands:"DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"the...
  6. News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    News and Interests and MSN weather widgets don't load any feeds: I've reset the apps and re-installed latest Windows 10 on top of existing apps and data and also ran sfc /scannow and the following DISM commands:"DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth""DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"the...
  7. Disable Windows 11 Widgets News Widgets or Manage Interests Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 11 Widgets News Widgets or Manage Interests Not Working: I am seeking a way to turn off the obnoxious news stories feed in the widgets of Windows 11. I despise them. I would like there to just be weather and nothing else. I do not see a way to turn it off, so I clicked settings, clicked "manage interests", and this page Microsoft...
  8. Disable Windows 11 Widgets News Widgets or Manage Interests Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 11 Widgets News Widgets or Manage Interests Not Working: I am seeking a way to turn off the obnoxious news stories feed in the widgets of Windows 11. I despise them. I would like there to just be weather and nothing else. I do not see a way to turn it off, so I clicked settings, clicked "manage interests", and this page Microsoft...
  9. News and Interests widget is "having trouble loading my feed"

in Windows 10 Customization
    News and Interests widget is "having trouble loading my feed": So, I received the an update that added the new "News and Interests" widget to my windows machine about a week ago from now. Since then, my laptop has gotten it, my friends have gotten it, etc, but despite working on everyone's machine, it refuses to work on mine. It shows...
  10. What happens when you disable/uninstall OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens when you disable/uninstall OneDrive?: I know how to disable OneDrive but wonder what will take its place in the defaults for Word, Excel and Oulook's PST files among many other apps. Thanks. 122819