Windows 10: What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day?

Discus and support What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; As per title. I've upgraded my Win7Pro to Win10 Professional a few months ago. I want to install Win7 back for testing purposes. I still have my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by andyKCIUK, Aug 28, 2016.

1. andyKCIUK Win User

What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day?

As per title.

I've upgraded my Win7Pro to Win10 Professional a few months ago. I want to install Win7 back for testing purposes. I still have my Win7 activation key.

What's going to happen after the testing when I'll install Win10 again? Will it be activated or will I have to pay?

:)

andyKCIUK, Aug 28, 2016
  2. 4RLM Win User

What happens to my existing Windows 7/8.1 licenses after my free Windows 10 upgrade?

I have 2 Windows 7 OEM licenses, a Windows 7 Retail license, and a Windows 8.1 OEM license (all legitimately obtained and activated-no pirating). My primary system is a laptop that came with Win8.1 OEM, which I had to downgrade to Win7 OEM (due to software
    incompatibilities with Win8.1), and I have since used the Win8.1 key embedded in the laptop's UEFI to install Win8.1 OEM in a Virtual Machine on that laptop.

I understand what license types I will get if I upgrade my systems to Win10 (i.e. OEM 7/8.1 to OEM 10, Retail 7 to Retail 10) and what those licenses entail (such as transfer and support rights). However, I need to know what happens to those old licenses
    if I take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade offer. If I upgrade the Win7 Retail copy to Win10, will I still be able to use the Win7 Retail copy on a separate computer (or VM), or will that license become unusable/invalid? If I upgrade from Win7 OEM to
    Win10 OEM, can I install Win7 with that OEM license to a VM on the same hardware, or am I essentially trading the Win7 license for a Win10 license?

Basically it boils down to this question: Is the free upgrade program replacing my exiting Win7/8.1 licenses with Win10 licenses and then invalidating/revoking those Win7/8.1 licenses, or am I getting Win10 licenses
    in addition to the Win7/8.1 licenses I already have?

3. Can go back to win7 if didn't like win10?

thanks. thump up for you.

esamkanadily, Aug 28, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, your PC should automatically activate if you reinstall Win 10. Once activated, your right to Win 10 is held on MS's activation servers against your hardware.

I suggest you do the following to save a lot of time:
    a. Create a disk image using e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage (Use 'Windows Backup'). You can then restore your PC exactly as was with Win10 in under an hour. (Everyone should use disk imaging routinely anyway- strongly recommended here).
    b. Reinstall Win 7 and do what you need to
    c. Create an image of that so you can restore Win 7 any time you wish in under an hour.
    d. Restore your image of Win 10.

Note: you will need to be careful about partitions on your disk - best to delete the Win 10 ones then install Win 7, then delete Win 7 ones and restore Win 10.

And a much easier way is to get a spare disk, put that in, and install Win 7 on that.. no messing, almost no risk.

dalchina, Aug 28, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    Depending what you want to test, you might also be able to use one of the free Virtual Machines which Microsoft provide for browser testing. You'd need something to host them, but if you have Win 10 Pro you should have Hyper-V already.
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

But the above advice about taking a backup image is still good whatever you do - you never know when a backup image might be needed...

DavidY, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What happens with my Win10 license if I go back to Win7 for a day? - Similar Threads - happens Win10 license

2. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help: Inherited an Optiplex 3040 with a win10 license and a "downgraded to 7 Pro from factory" install. Hard drive errors beginning so would like to download win10 image and install on a new drive. Dell used Legacy settings on these and I would install on new drive with ahci. What...
  3. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help: Inherited an Optiplex 3040 with a win10 license and a "downgraded to 7 Pro from factory" install. Hard drive errors beginning so would like to download win10 image and install on a new drive. Dell used Legacy settings on these and I would install on new drive with ahci. What...
  4. Win10 licensed Win7 system move to win10 help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. GO back to Win7

GO back to Win7: I have win10 currently installed on my pc. I had win7 originally installed on my pc and had updated it during the free upgrade for win10. I need to go back to Win7 now, don't ask why. I had created recovery of Win7 when i had bought the pc on 3 discs. But I don't have any...
  6. Win10 reverted back to Win7

Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  7. What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What happens to Win7 License after upgrading to Windows 10?: I have a Family 3-Pack of Windows 7 Home Premium installed and activated on 3 PCs using the same Product Key. If I upgrade one of the PCs to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, does that free up one of the Windows 7 licenses to use on another PC? 36816
  8. Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10

Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10: When i navigate to settings>Recovery>Go back to Win 7, I click the "Get Started" button but nothing opens or occurs at all. I am the only account on the PC with full admin rights. Attached is a screenshot of my user list [img] 57537
  9. Best Way To Go BACK to Win7

Best Way To Go BACK to Win7: So, for whatever reason, I'm having a myriad of issues with Win10. This laptop isn't even 4 months old, and I just had to replace my HHD last week, and my internet connection is dropping out every 5 mins. I have an OLD laptop with Win7 on it sitting right beside me and it's...
  10. Problems trying to go back to Win7 after upgrade to Win10

Problems trying to go back to Win7 after upgrade to Win10: I'm trying to rollback to Win7 after Win10 update. I've got some hardware that I want to use that's not compatible. I've tried going to recovery and 'Go back to Win7' but it's telling me I need to delete the users I've created. The problem is that I removed the original...