Windows 10: What hit me? BSOD on the 12th

Discus and support What hit me? BSOD on the 12th in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; HI, I'm new here, a little above average in computers, but that doesn't say a heck of a lot about average users of computers. I updated my system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PostPaleo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. PostPaleo Win User

What hit me? BSOD on the 12th

HI,

I'm new here, a little above average in computers, but that doesn't say a heck of a lot about average users of computers.

I updated my system yesterday (11th of April, 2017) all went well. This morning, as I always do on start up checked for any windows updates and I swear it wanted to upload Creator and I thought, ok today is the day, no big deal. Long load time, got done and it started to update/install, it got to 30% and I walked away from the screen, I got back to a black screen. My machine isn't the fastest, but not that slow, but I gave it a while, at least 15 minutes or a half hour. I run a spartan hard drive, not that much on it. Wouldn't come out of the black screen so I hit the turn off switch. Recovered to a previous version. I hit the update to look see again and it wanted to do a 1709 update, I think, and I was thinking it might have installed Creator in-spite of the black screen, so it downloads.... Black screen at 50% install. I rebooted and recovered. No more updates and it now says I can be the first on my block to get the Creator update.. I don't think so. ;p

What hit me? What was that masked updates?

Edit: I work on my neighbors machine, he didn't have the update. I checked some friends, after warning them earlier, and they didn't have the update. My girlfriend runs almost the same machine mine is, just minutes after getting mine back in shape and she didn't have the update/s.

:)

PostPaleo, Apr 12, 2017

2. Stop Code: VIDEO TDR FAILURE What Failed atikmpag.sys with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series since the Windows Fall Creator update 1709

Hello Aileen,

I followed the instructions to put the problem information in my OneDrive account on 28th January.

Now, I have to report that since the 12th February, the laptop has not exhibited the BSOD Video_TDR_Failure. There have been some automatic updates and it would appear that Microsoft has fixed it for me!

Thank you to all who have replied to my post and it seems I have just had to wait for Microsoft to fix it.

Regards

Richard Corner, Apr 12, 2017
  3. July 12 windows 10 update broke my USB's

before July 12th update to windows 10 all my USB devices use to work just fine now after the July 12th update if i unplug my USB headset it desyncs my xb1 controller from my PC and if i try to resync it cuz it doesn't want to work the first time ill end
    up getting a BSOD

ArcticGamez, Apr 12, 2017
  4. jamis Win User

Pretty sure a half hour is nowhere near enough time for CU install. If you look at other threads here about the CU load/install time you'll see that. Don't know the speed of your CPU and internet connection speed, but I suspect that forcing a power off in the middle of the update created the problem.

jamis, Apr 12, 2017
  5. PostPaleo Win User
    Total time was a lot longer than a half hour, it was at the black screen for about a half hour. It was at 30% installed last I saw and I walked away, when I came back the black screen, then I waited the 15 min to a 30 mins. I have an i7 and a SSD, 16 gig ram mem.

The second downloaded update, 1709?, same thing, only it was at 50% installed when the black screen hit. Again I waited and nothing. Power switch fix.

I did go out to the MS site and ran their fix tool. I didn't really understand all it did, but it did say I still had corrupted files, everything else it fixed. Any downloads I have listed are complete, I see nothing that should be removed. And the update page still shows the creator update as "coming soon".

On a side note. I use CCleaner and it lists the backup files. I had one before this, it shows none now. May have nothing to do with the above, but very odd. I have never had that happen before.

PostPaleo, Apr 12, 2017
  6. jamis Win User
    I just finished the Creator's Update. Open the My Computer drop down for my environment. Total update time start to finish was 104 minutes with five black screens during the install and update phases. All black screens came back to life on their own.

jamis, Apr 13, 2017
  7. PostPaleo Win User
    Yesterday I updated my girl friends machine, went without a hitch. Her machine is almost identical to mine, except I have an SSD and my wifi is in the box, brief black screens. I tried mine again, Creator Update using the web update tool, after using the update repair tool from MicroSoft, which reported everything fixed. This time I got a black screen after the restart at 80% installed. I waited an hour and a half with the black screen on. Power switch fix, it restored back.

PostPaleo, Apr 13, 2017
  8. PostPaleo Win User

I tried for a forth time.... updated all drivers (they were before), used the fix tool from MS, this time (the forth) I used a hard wire, no wifi. Failed at 73%.

This isn't the first time MS has screwed up with basics and I'm beginning to think they aren't paying attention to Asus machines or they don't like them.

I can't begin to tell you the stupid fix for another major update, it had to do with a freakin mouse port, and ya we were up all night for that for that (we figured out a fix, never sure they bothered), and it was a popular pro Asus motherboard. But this one is nuts.

This son of a bitch is gonna cost me and there is no reason for it. Find it and fix it.

Just when I begin to think MS is beginning to catch a clue, why you wanna cost me money? Again? Pissin me off, if I didn't game, I'da left your sorry asses years ago.

Not happy.

PostPaleo, Apr 17, 2017
  9. PostPaleo Win User
    Trying for a fifth time, Avast off.

PostPaleo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What hit me? BSOD on the 12th - Similar Threads - hit BSOD 12th

2. Occasional BSOD when hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Occasional BSOD when hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del: Im slighlty concerned about an infrequent BSOD problem that has occured a few times 3 or 4 times? over past 1-2 months. It only ever happens when im playing a games and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the desktop. When this does happen, the BSOD display only lasts a few seconds,...
  3. Occasional BSOD when hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Occasional BSOD when hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del: Im slighlty concerned about an infrequent BSOD problem that has occured a few times 3 or 4 times? over past 1-2 months. It only ever happens when im playing a games and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the desktop. When this does happen, the BSOD display only lasts a few seconds,...
  4. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bsod during shutdown on new pc 12th gen !9 12900k

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bsod during shutdown on new pc 12th gen !9 12900k: Hello i recently built a new pc, after messing with it a bit i noticed a weird issue during shutdown and not every time i shutdown either its random. it will bsod and give this error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" i believe this is a driver issue but can not understand what the dump file...
  5. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bsod during shutdown on new pc 12th gen !9 12900k

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT bsod during shutdown on new pc 12th gen !9 12900k: Hello i recently built a new pc, after messing with it a bit i noticed a weird issue during shutdown and not every time i shutdown either its random. it will bsod and give this error "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" i believe this is a driver issue but can not understand what the dump file...
  6. What hotkey did I hit?

in Windows 10 Support
    What hotkey did I hit?: I was typing something in notepad, and still getting used to my new keyboard, must've hit some combination of hotkeys that caused a Bing search (opened in Chrome, but with Bing search) of the contents of the notepad. Does anyone know what hotkey combination cause this? I...
  7. BSOD Help Me IDK What To Do

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD Help Me IDK What To Do: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ihavzdaloopsbrother [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m3sxlp/bsod_help_me_idk_what_to_do/
  8. what keys do i hit to save what i just wrote

in Windows 10 Customization
    what keys do i hit to save what i just wrote: tell me how to save a page https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-keys-do-i-hit-to-save-what-i-just-wrote/6836cbfe-e56c-4a61-9dc4-b333fce63948
  9. Like What You See - Accidentally Hit "Not a Fan"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Like What You See - Accidentally Hit "Not a Fan": For once really liked a picture shown on my screen saver. Somehow, must have clicked "not a fan" and now the image is gone. Even checked the LocalState - Assets folder to find it and it's not there. What can I do to get it back or find it?...
  10. what is the “correct“ finger for hitting ENTER?

in Windows 10 Support
    what is the “correct“ finger for hitting ENTER?: I am now learning to type with more fingers so I need to develop a ''correct'' habit 99415