Windows 10: What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests)

Discus and support What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Below are features that I consider important omissions or stepbacks, which I believe can be rectified or added in the autumn update pack 1. Networks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by poset, Aug 5, 2015.

1. poset Win User

What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests)

Below are features that I consider important omissions or stepbacks, which I believe can be rectified or added in the autumn update pack

1. Networks - I can no longer rename or merge networks. As a roaming user I need it quite often. Renaming networks makes it easier to manage them. Merging networks helps maintain common profiles such as default printers or firewall policy.

2. Start Menu - There is no way to pin an application to the "Frequently used" list - a feature that I love about Windows 7. Pinning applications, application jumplists and pinning jumplist items make life so much easier - I have my current stuff at hand, in a single place. Frequent items view of Windows Explorer does not do the trick.

3. Windows Explorer - Quick access view might be a good idea if it wasn't so chaotic (so is my impression of it). the Start at option should include Libraries and there should be a possibility to rearrange root items in the navigation pane (Quick Access, One Drive, This PC, Libraries, Network), either via settings dialog box or by dragging. I am also missing the slider that controlled the size of icons/thumbnails. There is a "layout" setting, but it is not that fine-grained.

4. Windows Update - I've already written about it in another thread. There's very limited control over What, When and How. Although MS provided a few workarounds they do not quite do the trick. There should be a "Power User Mode" added to Settings, which would allow manual triggering of updates (other than by policy) and selecting which packages to install. Windows Defender should continue updating itself independently.

5. Settings - It is a good and common practice to include Apply/Cancel buttons in a settings page/screen/dialog/whatever. It is safer and gives users the ability to think twice before acting. Should be a piece of cake here, I believe.

6. Appearance - Please add controls for window border thickness, window caption colours, font sizes for individual item types. Plus a colour picker where applicable.

The above may seem minor, but they repel me from switching over from 7 to 10. Those and the catastrophically long resume from hibernation.

:)

poset, Aug 5, 2015

2. Missing sum setting

what device are you using, and is it actually missing (was there before) or are you requesting such a feature?

adrianhughesNSD, Aug 5, 2015
  3. re-notifications

Unfortunately, Microsoft has shuttered the windowsphone.uservoice.com site in favor the Feedback app that comes with Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile.

It's currently not available in Windows 10 Mobile. If this is a must have feature, then you will want Android or iOS. It's not what people want to hear, but that's the reality of it.

Christopher Miller, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Greywolf Win User

There is not enough rep in the world to apply to this post which would adequately compensate users for this lost functionality. I hope someone at M$ wakes up and allows this to become a reality.

Greywolf, Aug 5, 2015
  5. 1. You can change the network name by right clicking the network icon on the taskbar and choosing "Open Network and Sharing Center", on the left click "Change Adapter Settings", right click the network and rename.

Here I changed mine from "Ethernet" to "James Net":

What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests) [​IMG]

2. Isn't that kind of the purpose of the tile section of the start menu?

3. Icon style can be changed by clicking "View" at the top of Explorer:

4. Agree...

fracking4oil, Aug 5, 2015
  6. poset Win User
    Wooow, that was empowering! Rejoice, you've just got one unfaithful converted ;-)

Yes, I know. But I meant changing connection names, not adapter name.

Not exactly. Tiles don't have jumplists and they take up a lot of space.

That's what I meant - there is a setting, but it is rather coarse. The slider was much finer when it came to picture thumbnails. It is almost the same. Almost makes big difference.

poset, Aug 6, 2015
  7. You have the same fine control if you hold Ctrl and scroll with the mouse scroll wheel. At the top of the scroll you'll have the fine adjustment you want, at the bottom you go between the presets found in the view section.

fracking4oil, Aug 6, 2015
  8. poset Win User

Nope, doesn't work for me.

poset, Aug 6, 2015
  9. poset Win User
    Well, now it does. It required updating the trackpoint driver. However, the new driver keeps resetting mouse wheel lines to 1

poset, Aug 14, 2015
  10. Dch48 Win User
    I don't like how you can't control how and when icons show in the notifications/system tray area. Control over them is very rudimentary compared to how it was in 8 and 7.

Dch48, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Completely agree with this. It's one of the failings in moving to the Settings way of doing things. They implemented it as if this was a cell phone, change it and poof, it's in effect. I really would like to see Apply/Cancel buttons.

Ztruker, Aug 15, 2015
  12. Hate to bust your bubble, folks -- but MILLIONS of Insiders provided feedback to MS month after month after month -- and what did we get? An incomplete version, rushed out the door, that gave in to Metro stuff -- even the Start Menu is half-metro. A junior version of IE that has only a fraction of its features. But hey! It's Metro. Same thing with Settings -- move a bunch of Control Panel stuff into a new window, but make it Metro. Never mind that not all of the CP stuff is there. As long as it's Metro -- that appears to be what mattered to MS.

If you want to make a difference, then join (or remain in) the Insider program. Perhaps now that the "rush to market" frenzy is over, if enough of you voice the same concerns, perhaps MS will listen this time. Or ... maybe not.

Mark Phelps, Aug 15, 2015
  13. What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests)

Only if you want it to be.
    You can right click and remove every tile and re-size the start menu.

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    A dual pane File explorer is way overdue, luckily there's Total Commander and few other file handling programs. Even tabs in File explorer would be better, way better.

CountMike, Aug 15, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

First I LIKE the snappiness of W10 - my W7 system is really slow and tired by comparison.

Here are the things I don't like though

1) I Miss Gadgets -- why can't we move Live Tiles from Menu to desktop.

2) Customisation is still very haphazard - for example once you've downloaded a Theme and installed it there's no way to get back into the settings to change a few things - like some themes have a number of different images -- how do you start and stop the "Slide show".

3) Cumulative updates -- it seems you have to do these on every machine -- bit of a pain --would be nice if Ms allowed a mass download which could be applied to several machines. (Not talking here about corporate IT systems - but home users who might be running 5 or 6 machines (including a number of VM's).

4) I liked the old VISTA Aero glass -- modern graphics is more than capable of handling this type of stuff -- bring it back please !!!.
    ( Did I actually say I LIKED something about VISTA --what side of the bed did I get out of today !!!).

5) File explorer is a mess with the folder arrangements.

6) Multi- Monitor operation (and I mean 4 or more like Stock trading systems etc) is still a bit of hit and miss. Of course this could be due to the Stock trading system software - but these have been around for "Donkeys Years" so It IMO is a Windows 10 glitch.

7) to pin stuff to DESKTOP you have to find the file location of your .exe (or application start file) and mess around sending to desktop (create short cut).

8) Touch isn't quite there yet -- almost though.

9) MEGA irritating -- the RENAME and DELETE options in File explorer (right mouse click on file / folder) are right next to each other -- if you are working quickly it's easy to hit DELETE when you want to RENAME something -- fortunately RESTORE from the recycle bin comes to the rescue IF YOU NOTICE IT IN TIME !!.

Now I DO like Storage spaces (not available in W7) and the overall speed etc of W10.

IMO W10 deserves to succeed -- let's hope Ms gets on its case and keeps improving it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. What I miss in Windows 10 (feature requests) - Similar Threads - miss feature requests

2. Update/Feature Request

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update/Feature Request: Hello!I'd like an update on this issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vpn-window-closes-before-copying/6d39ed2a-1fee-401a-9c2c-2355f6f88b0aIt's a big flaw in functionality and design. When will this be corrected?And is there are a workaround...
  3. Update/Feature Request

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update/Feature Request: Hello!I'd like an update on this issue:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vpn-window-closes-before-copying/6d39ed2a-1fee-401a-9c2c-2355f6f88b0aIt's a big flaw in functionality and design. When will this be corrected?And is there are a workaround...
  4. Windows cascade feature request

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows cascade feature request: Everyone know about windows cascade on the desktop. most everyone uses Alt. Tab instead. Its more effective.I would like to see something like Windows cascade where all windows minimize to their top portion only where you will only see the name of the window and have the min,...
  5. Feature request: Xbox UI for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature request: Xbox UI for Windows 10: Hi, I would like to have a feature in Windows 10 that lets you use your PC in "Xbox mode" as I call it. It's basically most Xbox features and menus on PC. It would be good for controller users that don't want the performance disadvantage that things like Steam Big Picture,...
  6. Feature Request.

Feature Request.: I have an ultra-widescreen, when pressing Win key + Left right arrow , it will snap screen left or right ...can we also have a central snap that snaps a window to the center of the screen but keeps the window size to allow you to see a quarter of the desktop either side....
  7. Windows 10 Missing Features

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Missing Features: In the recent Windows 10 May 2020 Update 2004 Version, there is a feature called quick searches which appears in the search box. But for some reason, it doesn't appear in my search box. Can someone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks![ATTACH]...
  8. Feature Request

Feature Request: This a very mundane feature request, but wanted to see if Microsoft would add a left handed checkmark to the character map. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/feature-request/c7da699a-b3ce-4f95-9d43-333db05a2ad0
  9. what is the best place to request MS add a feature to windows?

what is the best place to request MS add a feature to windows?: The title says it all. Original request I am looking for a program that will lock my icons on the desktop positions I put them in and I read about a program calledDesklock but I can't find any place to get it. Is this program any good and where can I find it. IfDesklock is...
  10. Windows 10 feature request or bug?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 feature request or bug?: I utilize Directory Junction (MKLINK /J) to share code resources between static and dynamic compilations also allowing my video bat files using FFMPEG to view my video sources in various stages in a single directory structure instead of across multiple physical drives. The...