Windows 10: what is a "read only" file

Discus and support what is a "read only" file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys I recently installed Libre, and a couple of saved spreadsheets, when opening them, it says "read only" or copy Any clues please, should have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frenchman96, Mar 6, 2021.

1. what is a "read only" file

Hi Guys

I recently installed Libre, and a couple of saved spreadsheets, when opening them, it says "read only" or copy

Any clues please, should have done a screenshot sorry, will do next time it happens.

:)

frenchman96, Mar 6, 2021

2. Problem with 4500MHD to read Sony .mts files

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Which player are you using?
    • Did you try to play the same video's using different player?
    I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Install all the Windows updates including optional updates and check if it works.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to update the video driver from the device manager and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X and select device manager.
    • Expand display adapter and right click on installed driver and click on update.
    Step 3:
    If doesn't work, I would suggest you to install the latest available drivers on manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 6, 2021
  3. file explorer and reading list on windows 10

Hi Colinus,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. We certainly help you with this issue. I want to inform you it is temporary issue it will short out immediately there is no need to go back in previous operating system.
    I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. Are you referring to reading list app?

If you are using reading list app so I would suggest you to run windows app troubleshooter to fix issue.

Follow the below steps.

• Go to control panel and select troubleshooting then in top left corner of your screen select view all.

• Click on windows store app and click on it and run it.
    I want to inform you. You can sort, group, and arrange items in a folder or library view by an added column (detail) in ascending or descending order in windows 10 file explorer.

for more information follow the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Note: It is also applicable for windows 10 as well.

Try these steps and let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 6, 2021
  4. Marie Ave Win User

what is a "read only" file

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

what is a "read only" file

1. what is a "read only" file - Similar Threads - read file

2. I am stuck in read-only all my folders and files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I am stuck in read-only all my folders and files: A black square is on all of my folders marking read-only. I have tried using TPM to maybe take it our of read-only mode by using Set-Disk or changing their file/folder permissions, and also check to see if DiskPart would work using the commands ATTRIBUTES or GPT to change...
  3. Is there a way to read old encrypted files using fresh installed OS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to read old encrypted files using fresh installed OS?: Short story, because some failed booting attempt, I decided to install new win10 into a new drive. Now obviously, with fresh-new installed OS I lost access to my encrypted files on my old drive. I remember most of my settings in my old system, including its password if that...
  4. Cannot change READ ONLY file attributes using Administrator Account

Cannot change READ ONLY file attributes using Administrator Account: Why is it not possible to remove read only from folder from an Administrator account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-change-read-only-file-attributes-using/a6ca87cb-c994-48a4-bace-211832be8d09
  5. Windows 10 new feature of 'Read text aloud' not working with pdf file format?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 new feature of 'Read text aloud' not working with pdf file format?: I need help for using Windows 10 new feature of 'Read text aloud' on my of pdf format file. I open the windows feature using ' the Windows logo key + Plus sign +' in my windows 10 OS. It is not reading text from one of my pdf format file....
  6. Trying to make Font file not read-only, says you need administrator permission

Trying to make Font file not read-only, says you need administrator permission: Trying to open Font file on Glyphr.com->You don't have permission to open this file, contact the file owner or administrator for permission->Try to open Font file in File Explorer and it works->Figure I might be a different user when I open it online and look up how to remove...
  7. explorer going slow on reading a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer going slow on reading a file: when i open a video file on my explorer, the green light that scans it is loading on the explorer goes slow when it comes near the end of reading the video file, the video file runs fine and plays, but it is just when the explorer is trying to read that certain file when it...
  8. Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will making a folder Read Only avoid deletion of files?: I am planning to use the duplicate file finder feature of ccleaner to remove duplicate files form my multiple backup HDD. I was thinking of making the primary data folder on my Main HDD as Read only (suign the read only feature of Win10) and then find duplicate files and...
  9. File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system: The File Explorer on my computer is not reading the files on my DVD/CD-ROM. The DVD/CD-ROM drive is working fine. Other CDs work ok. This CD, there are no files listed, shows "0 items". Right click on properties show file system is UDF and about 28MB used space. Right...
  10. Black Screen Before Startup - Help Reading Boot Trace File

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black Screen Before Startup - Help Reading Boot Trace File: Hi all, This is my first post, not sure if I should have introduced myself first? I am experiencing a quite long black screen between the BIOS and the Windows Logo. Windows is installed on a Samsung SSD, while docs and stuff are on other internal HDDs, which are excluded...