Windows 10: What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"?

Discus and support What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 home/1909 (at the moment; feature update to 2004 is available, which I'll probably do after my next backup cycle at months' end).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Davidk, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Davidk Win User

What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"?

Running Windows 10 home/1909 (at the moment; feature update to 2004 is available, which I'll probably do after my next backup cycle at months' end).

Windows 10 doesn't seem to support restore points. But I keep seeing 'scheduled checkpoint' entries in Ccleaner Tools/System restore.

What are they and who sets the schedule?

:)

Davidk, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Davidk Win User

The reason I asked about schedule checkpoints is because automatic creation of restore points before routine monthly updates is not happening. And it seems that feature doesn't happen in win10 after monthly updates. If it can be configured, no one I have asked about it on MS Answers can say how.

I upgraded to win10 home/1909 on 23 June. Since then there have been a number of routine MS updates installed, but no "restore point" automatically created when that happened.

Attached is a screenshot of cclean tools/system restore, showing 2 restore points I manually created, and 2 'scheduled checkpoints' over the period since upgrade. None of the checkpoints in that list meets the time criteria outlined in the referenced weblinks.

So, checkpoint is just another name for 'restore point'???

Davidk, Jul 25, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User

- it does- just not enabled by default and often disabled after any upgrade.

Further, SR has become notorious for not completing a restore. It's great when it does work- my experience has been that it might sometimes fail to restore for a few months, then start working again on my older PC. (I rarely use a restore point, so don't have good data).

Tutorials support it - simply search
    Ten Forums - Tutorials
    for System restore - how to have one created on startup, on schedule (which I do).

If you have such a schedule set up, that may explain the name you are seeing. It is possible to name restore points as you wish.

You should see the same list of restore points here:

What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Davidk Win User

Running Windows 10 home/1909 (at the moment; feature update to 2004 is available, which I'll probably do after my next backup cycle at months' end).

Windows 10 doesn't seem to support restore points. But I keep seeing 'scheduled checkpoint' entries in Ccleaner Tools/System restore.

What are they and who sets the schedule?

Davidk, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

1. What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"? - Similar Threads - scheduled Checkpoint

2. Is Windows Task Scheduler 0x0 a permissions-related error and if so how can I correct it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Windows Task Scheduler 0x0 a permissions-related error and if so how can I correct it?: I have several reddit bots written in Python that are only used on subs I control and they're all triggered on time-based schedule via Task Scheduler. With one exception they all work flawlessly and I can't figure out why that one constantly returns the 0x0 error. They're...
  3. Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails: Hi I want to set an alarm in Clock app in widnows 10 even when my surface is in sleep mode. So, I have created a task in the scheduler to wakeup the system at specific time. But it seems that the surface won't wakeup from sleep. Below you can see the task scheduler settings....
  4. [Help] How do I get Task Scheduler to press a keystroke after opening an app?

[Help] How do I get Task Scheduler to press a keystroke after opening an app?: I have an app which I need to open at a particular time and check a radio button that says "activate" With Task Scheduler I can set it to open at the right time but cannot figure out how to get it to enter a keystroke, if I could get it to press spacebar it would check the...
  5. Scheduled task created with Schtasks.exe using an XML file does not run on boot

Scheduled task created with Schtasks.exe using an XML file does not run on boot: I asked this question on StackOverflow, I am posting it here as well since the audience is more dedicated to Windows 10. Reading the rules of the community I didn't find that would make this against the rules. Would you recommend posting it somewhere else instead? Thank you!...
  6. Why do I not have Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling?

Why do I not have Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling?: I'm on Windows 10 Version 2004, Nvidia driver 451.48 but when I go into Graphics settings I only have the "Graphics performance preference" thing, but not Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Is there a reason for that? I'd like to try it out. I'm on a 980 Ti submitted by...
  7. Activate task scheduler based on open application?

Activate task scheduler based on open application?: Hi All, I was wondering if it would be possible for task scheduler to perform the following since I wasn't able to find my answer anywhere else. Search for open/running application If specific application is open, trigger copy files from directory into specific directory....
  8. windows defender task scheduler seems to be broken after going 1909 to 2004 happpened twice

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender task scheduler seems to be broken after going 1909 to 2004 happpened twice: so long story short i 1st went into 2004 back on 16th of last month all 4 tasks when you go into a new version will always get reset no task run now on 3rd day verification scan runs and afterwards windows defender cache windows defender cleanup windows defender scheduler...
  9. Windows 10 could see a major shift in its feature update schedule

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 could see a major shift in its feature update schedule: According to sources, Microsoft is considering options to move to a single feature update per year for Windows 10 to speed up the development of Windows 10X. Microsoft has already finished and released Windows 10 version 2004, the year’s first feature upgrade. Next is...
  10. What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is a "scheduled Checkpoint"?: Running Windows 10 home/1909 (at the moment; feature update to 2004 is available, which I'll probably do after my next backup cycle at months' end). Windows 10 doesn't seem to support restore points. But I keep seeing 'scheduled checkpoint' entries in Ccleaner Tools/System...