Windows 10: What is an EVO SSD?

Discus and support What is an EVO SSD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Things in the SSD world have changed dramatically since I began using them a few years ago. There weren't too many choices then. Now I plan to convert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, May 5, 2019.

1. JJG10 Win User

What is an EVO SSD?

Things in the SSD world have changed dramatically since I began using them a few years ago. There weren't too many choices then. Now I plan to convert my laptop to one and am amazed to find so many from which to choose.

My question is what is an EVO SSD and how does it differ from the others?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, May 5, 2019
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, May 5, 2019
  3. Samsung 960 Evo SSD not recognized W10

• I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and along with it a Samsung 500gb 960 Evo SSD. I followed instructions carefully, plugged the SSD into my laptops hardware. I did the hardware changes before turning on the laptop for the first time. Everything went smooth
      and everything is set up. The problem is Windows 10 cant recognize the SSD. It doesnt show up in Disk Management or Samsung Data Migration. Ive read the forums about 100 times and no one seems to have the exact same problem as me. Ive updated Windows 10, all
      my drivers and troubleshot Windows updates. The computer cant find the SSD and I need some help.

Daniel Steinthor M. Norddahl, May 5, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

What is an EVO SSD?

SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 5, 2019
Thema:

What is an EVO SSD?

1. What is an EVO SSD? - Similar Threads - EVO SSD

2. What is an EVO SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is an EVO SSD?: Things in the SSD world have changed dramatically since I began using them a few years ago. There weren't too many choices then. Now I plan to convert my laptop to one and am amazed to find so many from which to choose. My question is what is an EVO SSD and how does it...
  3. SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SAMSUNG 970 EVO boot slower than nomal SSD: I've just upgraded my boot drive from an old SSD to a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (500GB) but windows task manager is showing my last BIOS time as being 20 seconds where as with my old ssd wa around 10s. Pls help! 130098
  4. Samsung Evo 860 SSD booting intermitently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Samsung Evo 860 SSD booting intermitently: Hello all, I have found a couple of threads here and saw others having the same issue, but didn't see how they resolved the problem. My new SSD boots 50% of the time, when it doesn't I press the reset button to get it to boot up. Runs great once booted. Initially I cloned...
  5. NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO

NVMe vs SATA for M.2 SSD? Samsung 970 EVO: What kind of M.2 do I have? NVMe vs SATA? That is the question here! Hi! I have this notebook: Dell G3 5379 and want to get a fast SSD Drive. Will this one fit? I'm confused about NVMe. My notebook has an M.2 slot and so far I only used traditional SATA 2.5" SSD drives....
  6. Samsung EVO 850 SSD no longer working after WIN10 1809 upgrade

Samsung EVO 850 SSD no longer working after WIN10 1809 upgrade: I confirm that my Desktop PC, with a rather old MB (Asus P5Q-Turbo + 8Gb RAM + Intel ICH10R AHCI interface) together with an EVO 850 SSD did not work anymore after the Win10 1809 upgrade. When the PC was successfully booting, it hanged after a few minutes (frozen with the...
  7. Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?

Is this Samsung 850 EVO SSD going bad?: I'm having lots of BSODs and the forum member who is assisting me (Lots of IRQ_Less... and KERNEL_SECURITY... BSODs on 2 month old build - Windows 10 Forums) picked up lots of retry messages from the Beta Collector that I uploaded for my Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Are all these...
  8. CAN DEGRADE THE LIFE EXPECTATION OF SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD M.2 250GB , I ALREADY ENABLED...

CAN DEGRADE THE LIFE EXPECTATION OF SAMSUNG 860 EVO SSD M.2 250GB , I ALREADY ENABLED...: I am using samsung 860 evo ssd M.2 250GB with together windows 10 enterprise 64bit 1809 build no 17763.292 . I am worrying about the life expectation of above SSD . because i enabled RAPID mode , this mode gives fatest sequential Read rate and Write rate . As...
  9. Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10

Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10: hello fellas, I'm in desperate need of some advice from experts :P Google and some other forums can't help me with my problem, i've looked everywhere and its the 2nd time this problem exists. my problem: I have a SSD built into my computer, where win10 and some programms...
  10. Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD 860 EVO randomly freezing on Win 10: hello fellas, I'm in desperate need of some advice from experts :P Google and some other forums can't help me with my problem, i've looked everywhere and its the 2nd time this problem exists. my problem: I have a SSD built into my computer, where win10 and some programms...