Windows 10: What is an EVO SSD?

Discus and support What is an EVO SSD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Things in the SSD world have changed dramatically since I began using them a few years ago. There weren't too many choices then. Now I plan to convert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JJG10, May 5, 2019.

1. JJG10 Win User

What is an EVO SSD?

Things in the SSD world have changed dramatically since I began using them a few years ago. There weren't too many choices then. Now I plan to convert my laptop to one and am amazed to find so many from which to choose.

My question is what is an EVO SSD and how does it differ from the others?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, May 5, 2019
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, May 5, 2019
  3. Samsung 960 Evo SSD not recognized W10

• I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and along with it a Samsung 500gb 960 Evo SSD. I followed instructions carefully, plugged the SSD into my laptops hardware. I did the hardware changes before turning on the laptop for the first time. Everything went smooth
      and everything is set up. The problem is Windows 10 cant recognize the SSD. It doesnt show up in Disk Management or Samsung Data Migration. Ive read the forums about 100 times and no one seems to have the exact same problem as me. Ive updated Windows 10, all
      my drivers and troubleshot Windows updates. The computer cant find the SSD and I need some help.

Daniel Steinthor M. Norddahl, May 5, 2019
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

What is an EVO SSD?

SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 5, 2019
Thema:

What is an EVO SSD?

1. What is an EVO SSD? - Similar Threads - EVO SSD

2. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo: Today I got my new 870 evo, I installed it and proceeded to initialize the drive as well as give it a new volume. I then download the Samsung wizard tool for data migration and proceeded. I noticed that during the migration process my new D: drive disappears, goes offline and...
  3. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo: Today I got my new 870 evo, I installed it and proceeded to initialize the drive as well as give it a new volume. I then download the Samsung wizard tool for data migration and proceeded. I noticed that during the migration process my new D: drive disappears, goes offline and...
  4. Trouble transferring my OS from my previous SSD to my new 870 evo

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD: Hi!I just installed a Samsung EVO 870 SSD. It does appear in my device management but it doesn't in file explorer and storage management. So i cannot use it. If anyone has a solution i would very much appreciate it :....
  6. Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD: Hi!I just installed a Samsung EVO 870 SSD. It does appear in my device management but it doesn't in file explorer and storage management. So i cannot use it. If anyone has a solution i would very much appreciate it :....
  7. Problem with Samsung EVO 870 SSD

8. After installing a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD Or SSD in general the laptop fails to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD Or SSD in general the laptop fails to...: I recently looked into upgrading my Asus Creator Q530VJ Laptops SSD, by making use of the 2nd M.2 PCIe slot that it had. So, I bought a Crucial P3 1TB SSD and plopped it in, device didn't recognize it, nor did it even show up under File Explorer. So I factory reset my laptop,...
  9. After installing a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD Or SSD in general the laptop fails to...

After installing a new Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD Or SSD in general the laptop fails to...: I recently looked into upgrading my Asus Creator Q530VJ Laptops SSD, by making use of the 2nd M.2 PCIe slot that it had. So, I bought a Crucial P3 1TB SSD and plopped it in, device didn't recognize it, nor did it even show up under File Explorer. So I factory reset my laptop,...
  10. Doing a fresh Server 2022 install on a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB NVMe M.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Doing a fresh Server 2022 install on a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB NVMe M.2: I am trying to install Windows Server 2022 on a new Beelink Mini PC system with a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD. The install prompts me for a driver, which I can only assume is for the SSD. Samsung's web site only has an exe that contains the drivers and I...