Windows 10: what is audit mode

Discus and support what is audit mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; my win 10 won't install because it's in audit mode. what is audit mode?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WayneCormier1, Feb 2, 2020.

1. what is audit mode

my win 10 won't install because it's in audit mode. what is audit mode?

:)

WayneCormier1, Feb 2, 2020

2. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

1. Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    2. Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    3. Sign out from all user accounts
    4. Sign in to built-in admin
    5. Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    6. Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
      [*]
      When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    7. Run Disk Clean-up
    8. Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    9. Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
      [*]
      Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    10. Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    11. In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    12. When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
      [*]
      Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    13. Remove the temporary admin user
    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is what is audit mode :)

Kari, Feb 2, 2020
  4. what is audit mode

Windows 10 won't install in Audit Mode

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Audit mode is used to add customizations to Windows images. When you use audit mode, the system does not have to apply settings in Windows Welcome. OEMs and corporations should use audit mode to complete their manual customizations.

Is your computer connected to working environment or any domain?

Reply us with the information so that we can proceed with the next step.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

what is audit mode

1. what is audit mode - Similar Threads - audit mode

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode: I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is misconfigured such that two finger tap (right click) does not work. I found setting the registry under...
  3. OOBE Loop leading to Audit Mode screen of death

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OOBE Loop leading to Audit Mode screen of death: So my company provided me a new Lenovo Yoga laptop, but accidentally ordered it with 10 Home instead of Pro. After some wrangling with an ISO of Pro that we had on hand, I was upgrading my computer only to run into the OOBE Loop. I tried detaching all peripherals, disabling...
  4. How to install the Microsoft Print To PDF driver with Windows 10 audit mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to install the Microsoft Print To PDF driver with Windows 10 audit mode: Dear Support Team or advisors, I have a issue about the Microsoft Print To PDF feature with the audit mode of Windows 10 1909 version, and newer. What I do: 1. Install the windows with the offical ISO 2. When the set region interface OOBE shows, press Ctrl+Shift+F3, then...
  5. I cant update my Windows 10 because of this Audit Mode

I cant update my Windows 10 because of this Audit Mode: Pls help me to fix this, I badly want to update my windows 10[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-my-windows-10-because-of-this-audit/4479681d-7c28-4c22-be58-04dc21976b1e
  6. Does Windows Defender Antivirus supports audit mode instead of blocking mode?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does Windows Defender Antivirus supports audit mode instead of blocking mode?: I want to enable antivirus only in auditing mode so all threats are logged but not blocked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/does-windows-defender-antivirus-supports-audit/17a97864-d3c3-4644-9839-fd52decc0e7c
  7. Audit mode

Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  8. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  9. What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?: [ATTACH]Have you ever wondered how OEMs deploy Windows 10 OS with their own set of apps and drivers? Or how does the recovery partition helps […] This article What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  10. Your account has been disabled message after exiting Audit Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Your account has been disabled message after exiting Audit Mode in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will identify the cause and then provide the solution/workaround to the error message Your account has been disabled that you might […] This article Your account has been disabled message after exiting Audit Mode in Windows 10 first appeared on...