Windows 10: What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Discus and support What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaxxxx, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jaxxxx Win User

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct?

Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake i5 (6200U) perform better with DDR3 than overkill of DRR4 - DDR4 seemed to have latency issues, like bottle necked traffic. I have seen where there is this 10 second lag before a program responds when opening a new application using DDR4, where an i5 6th gen seems to utilize DDR3 laptop memory much smoother, instant gratification while opening up a new application. BUT, overall, while the application is up and running, DDR4 has the advantage to perform better being its at a higher frequency - 2133 HZs as opposed to DDR3 at 1600 HZs, so is there sometimes a trade off using DDR4 over DDR3 in lower ended laptops, say those who do not have a dedicated graphics card?

One more unrelated question, if I can? While swapping out a mechanical drive is as easy as they say, correct, I am not concerned about my programs I have on the mechanical drive, I just want to swap that mechanical drive out for an SSD. I do the swap, use a USB boot to Windows 10 downloaded on that USB media created tool, boot using the USB option, correct, or just boot normally, and your BIOS will automatically detect the USB Media created tool? Just a bit confused on just how easy all of that is while doing a swap, like I say, not worried about saving previous programs and files, they all exist on an external drive anyway...

Hope that isn't asking too much??? Hope my usual windows 10 forum responders reply. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory? :)

:)

jaxxxx, Nov 4, 2016

2. Dual Channel and Flex mode

I would like to know how dual channel and flex mode works. I think I do but need some clarifications please.

I have 1x 4gb DDR3 and 1x 8gb DDR3 totally 12gb. So, CPUID says they are running in dual channel mode.

My questions are as following:

Q1) 1x 4gb + 0.5x 8gb are running in dual channel; and remaining 4gb is running in flex mode. Is that correct?

Q2) If I consume over 8gb of ram then what happens?

a) 4+4 gb will be running in dual channel, and remaining 4gb running in single channel mode? Or,

b) the entire 12gb will be running in single channel mode?

Q3. Any difference whether I place my ram back or front? For example, 8gb in slot 1 and 4gb in slot 2; or reverse 4gb in front and 8gb in slot 2?

Thanks

Presentelaw, Nov 4, 2016
  3. JohnSmuda Win User
    i am reinstalling windows and will change memory later. should i wait to do the install when i have all the memory i want to add installed?

thank you. then I will install right away! I wanted to be sure because who knows what windows does under the hood. it might install version 10.a for single channel 3gb memory and version 10.b for dual channel 8gb. and you will never be told about the
    'a' and 'b' part!

JohnSmuda, Nov 4, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

In theory a set of matched 2*8GB modules should be faster. In practice however I'd doubt anyone would notice a difference.

I have a machine equipped with DDR3 (I7 4770) and another running DDR4 (I5 6500). Not a fair comparison but I haven't noticed the impact of the type of RAM used. The amount of it, yes. Of course the I7 CPU is much more powerful than the I5 too.
    Swapping a HDD out for a decent SDD makes the most difference overall.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 4, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I've never seen a motherboard run a choice of DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, usually just one type. The RAM modules I've used and salvaged won't interchange on the same board, are built slightly different and won't fit in the same slots. You can see that by lining up the modules to see the contacts and the all-important notch for fitting in the slots on the motherboard.

Berton, Nov 5, 2016
  6. pbcopter Win User
    Dual channel is faster. 2 x 8GB.

pbcopter, Nov 5, 2016
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Dual channel is always better then single.

RAM Performance Benchmark: Single-Channel vs. Dual-Channel - Does It Matter? | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds Hardware Benchmarks

Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? - The NUC Blog

What's your memory assessment speed? - Windows 7 Help Forums

As others have said, it`s all in your head, the only way to prove it is to run winsat mem with 1 stick in single channel then 2 sticks in dual channel.

As far as booting from a usb stick, you have to choose it in the one time boot menu (not the bios) unless you go into the bios and list usb as the first boot option (you do not want to do that)

My settings

1) DVD drive
    2) Boot drive
    3) Disable
    4) Disable

etc
    etc
    etc

Any time you want to deviate just use the boot menu, as mentioned *Smile

For example, If you want to boot into a Linux distro on a flash drive, just follow the above rule.

AddRAM, Nov 5, 2016
  8. Dude Win User

^ This, Dual channel is better

Dude, Nov 5, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Neither have I but Skylake CPUs support both DDR3 and DDR4 type of RAM at 1.2 to1.35 V.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 5, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    So it's up to the makers of motherboards to include the proper slots for the modules to fit in and supply the proper voltage.

Berton, Nov 5, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Absolutely.
    I think Intel opted to include DDR3 support as they were uncertain when exactly DDR4 would hit the market.
    That said I don't know of any socket 1151 MB that accepts DDR3 modules but these may exist.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 5, 2016
  12. jaxxxx Win User
    I didn't mean having a mobo and putting in 3 different "Types" of RAM on the same mobo,

I was mentioning on some lower ended i5 mobos (100 Series), they have over compensated or they thought, by putting in crazy amounts of DDR4 RAM, when in fact, without a good GPU and just an average CPU, it serves no purpose. I have seen, in particular, a friend bought a cheap Acer E15, and that mobo supported 32 GBs of DDR4, and so he bought it, put in 32 GBs of DDR4 thinking it would be fast, without a GPU, just an HD 520 and we both were scratching our heads, the machine was a real lager, even just opening up Internet Explorer, it lagged about 10-15 seconds before it could open any application, but once the app was running, it was extremely fast. Something wasn't quite right with that setup.

We tweaked everything to the same using another lower ended laptop, a Lenovo Ideapad, which had an i5 (same one - 6200U), and that machine ran very smooth, very responsive, also no GPU either, same as the Acer, just an HD 520. Both machines were sub $500. The Lenovo worked much better with just 8 GBs of DDR3 than the Acer with 32 GBs of DDR4. That is what I meant.

By the way, Intel still uses DDR3 in its skylake family, actually the skylake family both support DDR4 and DDR3, but not combined. *Wink

Thanks for all the feedback, I guess for some dual channel users, 2 x 8 GBs of any RAM is better than 1 x 16 GBs, or vice versa. I wish there was proof, just for the sake of it. Also, never use 1 stick of 4 GB and the other slot with a higher or lower amount, keep them equal, correct?

Thanks again for the advice fdegrove, addram and dude.

jaxxxx, Nov 5, 2016
  13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

You're welcome.

If you want to take advantage of dual channel operation then you should buy a matched set of two modules (some MBs support quad channel too).

Say you have a 4GB module and a 2GB module then you could still use both. Just stick one in channel A the other one in B. Makes for 6GB single channel.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 5, 2016
  14. jaxxxx Win User
    Yes, I have seen that configuration in laptops that have a MB with 4 slots.

jaxxxx, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory? - Similar Threads - Better Dual Single

2. Windows crashes when using dual channel memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows crashes when using dual channel memory: Yup, the title is the problem. If I use windows with my RAM in dual channel it has a higher chance to crash where in single-channel both sticks perform good. I don't understand why this is happening. Does anyone know?...
  3. Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels: Hi, I’ve been getting frequent BSODs in Windows10 for some time now (Linux is running ok), and after a clean reinstall I still got them. I’ve decided to do a memory check (per this guide ) and the tool only detects memory issues when both RAM sticks are inserted. When any...
  4. single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3: I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800, 2 slots both used Toshiba: DDR3 Dual channel PC3-10700 2 slots one used I'm confused so please correct me if I am making...
  5. Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Single vs dual channel RAM in a laptop: I have a new Dell Vostro 5590 i7 10510U laptop with 8GB DDR4 RAM 2666 Mhz and a NVidia MX250 GPU with 2GB. Win10 Pro. NVMe SSD. The RAM is running in single channel currently. There is an available RAM slot that can be used to increase RAM. If I add another 8GB “stick’’ of...
  6. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  7. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  8. Memory, Single or Dual Rank

Memory, Single or Dual Rank: Just looking for memory to upgrade my laptop, seen on Amazon that there's a kit, 2 x 16Gb and it's dual rank Not heard of this? Will it work just as well? 138781
  9. Memory, Single or Dual Rank

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Memory, Single or Dual Rank: Just looking for memory to upgrade my laptop, seen on Amazon that there's a kit, 2 x 16Gb and it's dual rank Not heard of this? Will it work just as well? 138781
  10. Dual Channel Mode

Dual Channel Mode: What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight simulation program that is just now in Early Access! This and World of Warships are basically the only games I play. Flight Sim...