Windows 10: what is bitlocker writing, after copying file?

Discus and support what is bitlocker writing, after copying file? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; When I transfer a 1gb file, bitlocker keeps writing something to the drive. looking at the graph, you can see it taper off. in constrast, with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by link626, May 16, 2020.

1. link626 Win User

what is bitlocker writing, after copying file?

When I transfer a 1gb file, bitlocker keeps writing something to the drive.

looking at the graph, you can see it taper off.

in constrast, with bitlocker off, there is no taper off.

what is bitlocker writing after the file has already been transferred?

Does bitlocker encrypt on the fly, or encrypt after a file has finished copying?

Does bitlocker write double the data? thereby using up an ssd's life sooner?

with bitlocker...

what is bitlocker writing, after copying file? [​IMG]

without bitlocker...

what is bitlocker writing, after copying file? [​IMG]

:)

link626, May 16, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 16, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 16, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. what is bitlocker writing, after copying file? - Similar Threads - bitlocker writing copying

2. Shortcuts not accessible after copying files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts not accessible after copying files: I copied a lot of my files from WindowsC: to DATAD: but then wasn’t able to use the shortcuts for some apps on my desktop receiving a message saying the file had been moved or removed and the shortcut wasn’t going to work properly any more...
  3. Shortcuts not accessible after copying files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts not accessible after copying files: I copied a lot of my files from WindowsC: to DATAD: but then wasn’t able to use the shortcuts for some apps on my desktop receiving a message saying the file had been moved or removed and the shortcut wasn’t going to work properly any more...
  4. File Table broken after copying files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Table broken after copying files: After installing a new Windows 10 (Home) on my friends new SSD we tried to copy files (~170GB) from my PC (Windows 10 Pro) via SATA-Cable. After launching his system the files were gone (not showing in the explorer). chkdsk on the other hand found the problems. The second...
  5. BitLocker Go & File Writing Issues

BitLocker Go & File Writing Issues: Hello, and thank you in advance for your support. I am using the latest Windows 10 pro version on a x64 laptop (HDD hard-drive). I use a USB flash drive to keep some important folders in sync with my laptop using an open source program called Freefile Sync. Usually...
  6. Bitlocker fulldisk encryption, writing files to disk while encryption is in progress?

Bitlocker fulldisk encryption, writing files to disk while encryption is in progress?: So if i enabled fulldisk-encryption with bitlocker, and while it is encrypting i am for example creating textdocuments or whatever on the disk being encrypted, it will also be encrypted or will it not be? Edit: I am not creating textdocuments but copying big files to the...
  7. NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled: Dear Community, I have installed a Corsair Force 510 480GB NVME drive, installed Windows 10 Pro on it and tested the performance with CrystalDiskMark. Sequential Read of 1GB files: 3500MB/sec Sequential Write of 1GB files: 2200MB/sec Then I enabled Bitlocker for the...
  8. inconsistent copy and write speeds

inconsistent copy and write speeds: Hey there. I just wanted to Copy an 15GB file from a HDD to my M.2 SSD and noticed that the speed is really inconsistent. Its always switches from 150 MB/s to 5 MB/s Can i do something about it? submitted by /u/Kxnek_ [link] [comments]...
  9. Copy file in Clipboard after hibernate !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy file in Clipboard after hibernate !: If i copy a file and then hibernate the pc. After that i reopening my pc, after hibernating. can i paste that file ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-file-in-clipboard-after-hibernate/bef02a21-abbd-44f4-8dae-08c007b7d3c5"
  10. Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock Icon after moving Bitlocker files.: [img] Hi, I had some folders and files in a drive which were locked by Bitlocker. I did a re-install of my Windows 10 to add a SSD. During this, i just opened the the bitlocker drive with password and moved those files to an external drive(I did not decrypt them before...