Windows 10: what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim

Discus and support what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After full scan on defender I have a message saying that there is a threat "C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim" please note the wim bit is not a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JeffHarvey1, Jul 13, 2019.

1. what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim

After full scan on defender I have a message saying that there is a threat "C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim" please note the wim bit is not a typing error. what is this threat and how do I remove it?

:)

JeffHarvey1, Jul 13, 2019
  2. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Jul 13, 2019
  3. MGoBlue93 Win User
    After Windows 10 WIM deploy, system fails to boot

I have some brand new notebooks (they are HP Z Book G4 Studios). From the state I received the units, I wanted to deploy the company image, instead of using what came loaded by the factory.

Before posting, I did search this site and I did look at: Applied wim file does not correctly boot

No help.

Deploying the WIM failed. It's a Windows 10 WIM. The WIM had the HP drivers added to it... if there was a problem with the drivers, I would expect a BSOD. But that is NOT the problem as no BSOD is received.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Press F9 to access boot menu
    2. Connect USB DVD drive with WinPE disc inserted
    3. Boot to WinPE (created with the latest version of the AIK/ADK or whatever MS is calling it these days).
    4. Run the following diskpart commands: select disk 0, clean, create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick, assign letter=c:, and active
    5. Run dism /apply-image /imagefile:e:\myWIM.wim /index:1 /applydir:c:\
    6. Run bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    7. Exit WinPE and reboot.

After exiting and the subsequent reboot, I get an OS not found error right after POST.

I booted into the installation media, rescue mode, and ran:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

The bootrec.exe command returns:

Successfully scanned Windows Installations
    Total identified Windows Installations: 1
    Add installation to boot list? Yes/No/All:

So I enter Y

...and it fails!!!

I can go to c:\ and do a dir and see the file system as expected (so again, assuming so WIM integrity problems).

1. Is there anything special about doing this on Win 10 that is different (Win 10 does put a 100 MB and 450MB partition on the drive when it does a clean install right? Recovery areas and such?
    2. When I do the diskpart clean, that wipes those two partitions out. How critical are they to run?
    3. I've used the same process which worked on Windows 7 -- are there BIOS settings, partitioning, etc., which is preventing this from booting for me? I haven't had such problems before; just with Win 10.

The drive from the factory was gpt. I did run diskpart convert mbr. The whole process failed in the same way

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

MGoBlue93, Jul 13, 2019
  4. dually Win User

what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim

Installing Drivers in Recovery M4 SSD

I can't seem to figure out how to install drivers so that can copy my system image to new laptop hard drive. I went as far as to install a new inactivated windows 7 onto the hard drive so I know it works, but when I point recovery at C:\Windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys, I got an error something along the lines of "not relevant to system hardware" (or something like that I forget the exact wording).

I can list the drive in diskpart, and I made sure it is not excluded for copying the image, but after 3 days of fiddling, I still can't get it to work. Where is the driver that I need for recovery to be able to install an image to the new hard drive? I checked crucial website, but they don't seem to list drivers for M4. I assume that since I was able to install a fresh inactivated Windows 7 from a startup disk that the driver I need would be somewhere in that system so maybe I'm just pointing recovery at the wrong file?

dually, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim

1. what is C:\System Recovery\OS\Preload\Install.wim - Similar Threads - System RecoveryOSPreloadInstall wim

2. What happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ?: I see everywhere what happens if you delete system32 or c:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM but what happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-you-delete-cwindowssystem/65c5503f-4284-41a5-b9ff-89dd588a98be
  3. What happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ?: I see everywhere what happens if you delete system32 or c:\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM but what happens if you delete c:\windows\system\ ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-happens-if-you-delete-cwindowssystem/65c5503f-4284-41a5-b9ff-89dd588a98be
  4. Create Wim image of a running system anyone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create Wim image of a running system anyone: Hi folks Does anybody know how to make a WIM image of a running system -- the reason I'd like this is that I use a Win to Go on an external SSD at times - often want Windows in totally different languages also with a load of applications in different languages -- not always...
  5. What do i do with a firmware .wim file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What do i do with a firmware .wim file: So i have an iLife zedbook 3g, its those hybrid tablets that allow you to have android and windows on it. All in all my windows started acting weird so i reinstalled windows but i did it with the creation tool from the microsoft website. Now here is the problem, that removed...
  6. C# or C++: What are the differences?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C# or C++: What are the differences?: Would you even notice a difference in the code for "Hello World"? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/get-started/tutorial-console-cpp?view=vs-2019 This is an introduction to C++. Would it look different in C#? Or should I look for a general introduction to C without paying...
  7. How to Unmount or Discard failed WIMs in bulk on a Windows system

in Windows 10 News
    How to Unmount or Discard failed WIMs in bulk on a Windows system: [ATTACH]WIM or Windows Image is a file-based disk image format that was developed by Microsoft to deploy Windows. To understand it better, ISO or VHD […] This article How to Unmount or Discard failed WIMs in bulk on a Windows system first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  8. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  9. c:\Looks --- What is it?

c:\Looks --- What is it?: All of my windows machines now have a "C:\Looks" folder. My Linux devices don't have it. My Android devices don't have it. Really curious as to whether this is a Microsoft folder, and if so, what the purpose of the folder is. The folder is empty on all my Windows 10...
  10. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to Fix HP Sure Recovery downloading \sources\boot.wim is failed?