Windows 10: What is CMOS and what is it used for?

Discus and support What is CMOS and what is it used for? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; CMOS or Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor is a small amount of memory in the motherboard of your computer and is used to store BIOS settings.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

What is CMOS and what is it used for?

CMOS or Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor is a small amount of memory in the motherboard of your computer and is used to store BIOS settings. They are very important for your computer as they store system files that keep track of your date and time and some hardware settings. So, let us see what is CMOS and what is it used for? in details.

What is CMOS?

What is CMOS and what is it used for? [​IMG]

CMOS, as mentioned earlier, is a small amount of storage on the motherboard and is used to store BIOS settings. It consists of both N-type and P-type transistors and they are used in an opposite configuration. So, a signal that turns ON one type of transistor turns OFF the other one. This way, a logic device is designed without the need for a pull-up resistor.

CMOS has a few perks as it has high speed, high noise margin, low power dissipation, and can operate on a wide range of input voltages.

What is CMOS used for?

CMOS is widely used in different chips such as Microprocessor, Microcontroller, Static RAM, etc. In computers, it is used along with BIOS. So, let us see how it works alongside BIOS.

On the RAM of your computer’s Motherboard, a CMOS chip is present. This chip would inherit one of the characteristics of RAM, it deletes the computer’s setting when you turn OFF your computer. However, with the help of a CMOS Battery, the chip can be powered constantly, hence, your computer’s setting will not get deleted.

So, when you turn ON your computer the CMOS chip will provide the necessary information to the BIOS to boot your computer.

A CMOS sensor is used for many other things such as in a digital camera to convert images into digital data but in your computer, it is used to store BIOS settings.

What is the difference between BIOS and CMOS?

BIOS or Basic Input/Output System is a program that takes care of your computer from the time it starts up to the time the Operating System takes control. CMOS is a place where BIOS stores the date, time, and other system configurations.

So, CMOS and BIOS are related but one is a physical chip and another one is a firmware used to boot up your system.

Hopefully, we have helped you in getting a grasp of CMOS and what is it used for.

Related: CMOS Checksum Error fix for Windows computers.

What is CMOS and what is it used for? [​IMG]
    This article What is CMOS and what is it used for? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 9, 2021
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, May 9, 2021
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, May 9, 2021
  4. What is CMOS and what is it used for?

clear CMOS

As @Law- II said .....

please fill your system specs.
    If you have a desktop motherboard i would suggest to see if you CMOS battery is not dead.

scoutingwraith, May 9, 2021
Thema:

What is CMOS and what is it used for?

1. What is CMOS and what is it used for? - Similar Threads - CMOS used

2. How long do CMOS batteries last? WIN 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long do CMOS batteries last? WIN 10 Laptop: I have a windows 10 HP laptop and constantly worried of something happening to it and been curious about a few things-How long do CMOS batteries typically last and what are signs it's failing?-Do CMOS batteries last longer if constantly powered? at least that is what one...
  3. How long do CMOS batteries last? WIN 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long do CMOS batteries last? WIN 10 Laptop: I have a windows 10 HP laptop and constantly worried of something happening to it and been curious about a few things-How long do CMOS batteries typically last and what are signs it's failing?-Do CMOS batteries last longer if constantly powered? at least that is what one...
  4. How long do CMOS batteries last? WIN 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11 not hibernating when reaching Critical, resulting in loss of CMOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 not hibernating when reaching Critical, resulting in loss of CMOS: Hi,No idea when this started. I sit all day at my work laptop. This is my personal use/home laptop.I get Low battery warning/message pop-up no action.I have noticed Battery Saver being activated.I have reset Control Panel-Power-Advanced Power-Battery back to default, but the...
  6. Windows 11 not hibernating when reaching Critical, resulting in loss of CMOS

Windows 11 not hibernating when reaching Critical, resulting in loss of CMOS: Hi,No idea when this started. I sit all day at my work laptop. This is my personal use/home laptop.I get Low battery warning/message pop-up no action.I have noticed Battery Saver being activated.I have reset Control Panel-Power-Advanced Power-Battery back to default, but the...
  7. Random crash after a CMOS reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random crash after a CMOS reset: Hello, guys! I reset my CMOS and the crashes that I had stopped. But today, I started my PC and had another crash. For a moment, I thought that the crash was the same from before, but when analysing it I could see some differences. Can you tell me what is CHECKPOINT: 16,...
  8. Random crash after a CMOS reset

Random crash after a CMOS reset: Hello, guys! I reset my CMOS and the crashes that I had stopped. But today, I started my PC and had another crash. For a moment, I thought that the crash was the same from before, but when analysing it I could see some differences. Can you tell me what is CHECKPOINT: 16,...
  9. Windows time service source does not change to DC from "Local CMOS Clock"

Windows time service source does not change to DC from "Local CMOS Clock": Hello,I'm experience an issue with Windows Time service on selected domain joined workstations.All workstations are configured to sync time from Domain controllers - NT5DSHowever selected group of devices which physically located in the same network segment showing CMOS clock...
  10. Windows time service source does not change to DC from "Local CMOS Clock"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows time service source does not change to DC from "Local CMOS Clock": Hello,I'm experience an issue with Windows Time service on selected domain joined workstations.All workstations are configured to sync time from Domain controllers - NT5DSHowever selected group of devices which physically located in the same network segment showing CMOS clock...