Windows 10: What is CSRSS.exe?

Discus and support What is CSRSS.exe? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, Earlier today I was online and my HP notebook started a very loud beeing sound that beeped continuously. A phone number on what appeared to be... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by CatheMarable, Jan 28, 2020.

1. What is CSRSS.exe?

Hello,

Earlier today I was online and my HP notebook started a very loud beeing sound that beeped continuously. A phone number on what appeared to be Microsoft's logos. It looked just like the Microsoft store. I am afraid I did a stupid thing. They wanted remote access to my computer and I allowed it. They ran a bunch of what looked like DOS stuff through the screen. I filmed it on my cell phone because I was already getting nervous about it. I also have still pictures as they entered other information or as I noticed different things. Then they wanted $199.00 to remove CSRSS.EXE. When I said no it was a one time fee of $99.00. THey very quickly wrapped the phone call up and said it would be 30 minutes and the laptop would restart. As I am writing this I can't believe I let them in my laptop. They said it had a CSRSS.EXE Trojan on my laptop and that is what was stealing my information and slowing down the laptop. My laptop has been very slow for the last couple of weeks. I don't know what just happened. First I need to know if this is a real virus/malware/trojan issue and second am I in worse shape because It someone enter my laptop remotely?

:)

CatheMarable, Jan 28, 2020

2. CSRSS @ c/i386

(dell)

CSRSS @ c/i386

How to get rid of CSRSS virus?

click start..search for csrss and comes out with 5 results:
    - CSRSS from C/i386
    - CSRSS from c/windows/system32
    - csrss and numbers end with hdmp from c/windows/PCHEALTH/ErrorRep/userdumps
    - csrss and numbers end with mdmp from c/windows/PCHEALTH/ErrorRep/userdumps
    - csrss and numbers end with mdmp from c/windows/PCHEALTH/ErrorRep/userdumps

went to C/ and found a folder called i386 and size of 988mb... open up... full of files... notepads, exe's, picture icon ect...

heres some of the names on the files in the i386 folder:
    - sendmail.dll
    - WINLOGON
    - WSSCRIPT
    - DellSys.dll
    - AGENTSVR (shows man in suit with black shades and hat as icon)
    - (jpeg file) name desktop_screen_shot. as preview on left side show desktop and desert wallpaper and browser open and paintshop open.

Heres some refference for you to help me get rid of this nasty virus:
    - TechSpot : Tech Enthusiasts, Power Users, Gamers
    - Search

and here is result when scanned with SDfix:

Trojan Files Found:

Could Not Remove C:\csrss.exe
    Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\lsasss.exe
    Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\remote.exe
    Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowz.exe
    Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\winsys.exe
    Could Not Remove C:\WINDOWS\system32\winxp.exe

HiddenStupid, Jan 28, 2020
  3. CSRSS @ c/i386

alt tab delete... process list comes up.... found says CSRSS.EXE press end process.... popup says:

"this is a critial system process. task manager cannot end this process"

HiddenStupid, Jan 28, 2020
  4. What is CSRSS.exe?

CSRSS @ c/i386

CSRSS.EXE - Confusion

Csrss.exe is the Microsoft client server runtime which generates worker threads for client requests. The confusion over csrss.exe comes from Trojans or viruses that use the same executable name (.exe) as that of csrss.

Many spyware/malware programs use filenames of usual, non-malware programs.

The legitimate csrss.exe is part of the Microsoft client server software and is a very important part of the system which should not be removed.

One way to determine if csrss.exe is a legitimate file besides looking at the date modified is to right click on csrss.exe inside Task Manager and attempt to end process. Because csrss is a critical file, Microsoft should inform you with a message that csrss.exe is a critical system process and end it is not possible.

If you do not receive this message when attempting to end the csrss.exe process, then it may indeed be a virus.

smartali89, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

What is CSRSS.exe?

1. What is CSRSS.exe? - Similar Threads - CSRSS exe

2. Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss are using 40-80% of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss are using 40-80% of...: I have had this issue since i got my computer almost a year ago and I have tried various solutions, such as updating my drivers, changing my power plan and even reinstalling windows only a safe reset though and nothing seems to work and it consists on these two proceses using...
  3. Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss are using 40-80% of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss are using 40-80% of...: I have had this issue since i got my computer almost a year ago and I have tried various solutions, such as updating my drivers, changing my power plan and even reinstalling windows only a safe reset though and nothing seems to work and it consists on these two proceses using...
  4. Desktop Windows Manager dwm.exe and Client Server Runtime Process csrss are using 40-80% of...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. what is csrss doing inside $Sysreset > Scratch?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is csrss doing inside $Sysreset > Scratch?: yup, csrss just here..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-csrss-doing-inside-sysreset-scratch/d2768e6f-59df-48d1-87db-0e6685beb3b2
  6. what is csrss doing inside $Sysreset > Scratch?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is csrss doing inside $Sysreset > Scratch?: yup, csrss just here..... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-csrss-doing-inside-sysreset-scratch/d2768e6f-59df-48d1-87db-0e6685beb3b2
  7. csrss, csrsrv.dll, csrr.rs files on 3/19/2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    csrss, csrsrv.dll, csrr.rs files on 3/19/2020: On 3/19/2020, my computer updated some files and the above mentioned files in the subject was also uploaded on my computer. Those files are preventing me from being able to print from my computer when I was able to print prior. I have tired everything and still I am unable...
  8. Is anyone familiar with passing messages via csrss/DTC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is anyone familiar with passing messages via csrss/DTC?: Yep, not even sure if thats the proper terminology. First time exposed to it. I have 3 pc's ive begun setting up with an application which affords this as one of its features. Ive allowed Distributed Tracking Coordinator through the firewall on my private network for all 3...
  9. Dwm and csrss using my gpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dwm and csrss using my gpu: Hey so the dwm and csrss using my gpu while im moving window folder(dwm) and while im moving cursor (csrss) and each of them can use 10% or higher And when im in csgo there is 10% of use of it (dwm) and 20% for.csgo im wondering if its okey or not...
  10. csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    csrss and dwm processes High GPU Usage causing stutterings: Today a problem started randomly. My desktop is stuttering, Youtube, anything. But when i disable AMD Radeon display on Device Manager, it stopps the stuttering, i already tried to reinstall graphic drivers, but any version i install, keeps the stutterings. So the only option...