Windows 10: What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity?

Discus and support What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you are using a firewall on your Windows 10 PCs and have configured the protective layer to inform you about new processes that try to establish... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 23, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity?

If you are using a firewall on your Windows 10 PCs and have configured the protective layer to inform you about new processes that try to establish outbound connections, you may have noticed that a program called devicecensus.exe attempting to establish a connection regularly.

I noticed the process on a Windows 10 version 1809 machine. The process would try to establish an Internet connection shortly after startup.

A few questions may come to mind:

• Is devicecensus.exe a legitimate process?
    • Why does it require Internet connectivity?
    • Is it related to Telemetry?
    • What kind of information is it transmitting?
    What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10?

What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? devicecensus-exe-process-windows-10.png

The program devicecensus.exe is a legitimate Windows file provided that it is signed by Microsoft and found in the folder C:\Windows\System32 (the Windows installation location may vary depending on how this was set up during installation).

Users or system administrators cannot delete or rename the file in the location.

The process is started by a scheduled task that is run once per day. The task was set to run at 3:00 AM every day and by custom triggers as well on a test machine running Windows 10 version 1809.

What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? devicecensus-task.png

You may check the task in the following way:

1. Open the Start Menu.
    2. Type Task Scheduler and load the result once search results are displayed.
    3. Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Device Information
    4. There you should find a single task called Device.

If you check under the Actions tab, you will find devicecensus.exe listed there as the action.

Tip: system administrators may right-click on the task and select disable to turn it off.

The process appears to have been a part of Windows 10 for some releases including Windows 10 version 1803 and 1809. It caused several issues in the past that Windows users reported including:

• Trying to access the webcam of the system.
    • Reliability History reporting it as stopped working regularly.

A Microsoft support agent provided the following information in June 2017 about devicecensus,exe on the company's Microsoft Answers support forum:

In order to target builds to your machine, we need to know a few important things:

• - OS type (home, pro, enterprise, etc.)
    • - region
    • - language
    • - x86 or x64
    • - selected Insider ring
    • - (etc)

This is the background process that runs to check your machine and tell us which build we should send to you. What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? :)

The process submits information about the operating system to Microsoft and Microsoft stated that the information is used to target builds.

Is devicecensus.exe needed to use Windows Update?

Microsoft stated that it uses the information to target builds to systems. Does it mean that systems won't receive updates when you disable the task from running or block it from connecting to the Internet?

To find out, I uninstalled the latest cumulative update that was installed on the system. I fired up Windows Update after the required restart and the update was offered to the system when I did so.

I did not test if devicecensus.exe is required for feature updates or Windows Insider builds. It is possible that Microsoft uses it for these but it is easy enough to enable the task again for that or use third-party means to install the latest feature updates on Windows 10 PCs without using Windows Update at all.

Recommendation: Disable the task or block the outbound connection of the devicecensus.exe task.

Now You: What is your take on the task?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 23, 2019

2. Upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 7 and losing internet connection

A couple of days ago I upgraded my desktop to windows 10 after getting one of those MS prompts. However now I cannot access the internet and suspect the drivers from the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-ud4 motherboard does not support the internet drivers required. Searching the manufacturers website has not given me any joy either. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

iwanttobeabookie, Sep 23, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Internet Connectivity Issues with various programs

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Try the following steps:

I would suggest you to run Internet Connectivity troubleshooter:

Try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Click “View All”

• Select "Internet Explorer connection"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Sep 23, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity?

Upgrading to Windows 10 from windows 7 and losing internet connection

Did you run the Windows 10 connection troubleshooter?

Troubleshoot Internet connection problems

Also, check in the "Device Manager" to see if the network adapter is ok.
    You may need to un-install it and then "Scan for new devices".

This is published by HP; however, it gives some good info on troubleshooting with the device manager.
    HP PCs - Device Manager Information (Windows 10, 8)

95Viper, Sep 23, 2019
Thema:

1. What is devicecensus.exe on Windows 10 and why does it need Internet connectivity? - Similar Threads - devicecensus exe why

2. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update: I just installed the latest cumulative update and restarted my Windows 10 22h2 PC, to see that AggregatorHost now runs in Task Manager at all times, even through multiple restarts; it doesn't consume many resources and behaves similarly to the AggregatorHost on my Windows 11...
  3. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update: I just installed the latest cumulative update and restarted my Windows 10 22h2 PC, to see that AggregatorHost now runs in Task Manager at all times, even through multiple restarts; it doesn't consume many resources and behaves similarly to the AggregatorHost on my Windows 11...
  4. What is 'AgentService EXE" and Why Does "AggregatorHost" Run After Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Why does "Cryptographic Services" need internet access ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why does "Cryptographic Services" need internet access ?: I have recently set up a third party firewall on my Windows 10 device and it is set to "ask to connect". So I am constantly getting request from "Cryptographics Services" to access the internet.I don't know if I should allow it to access the internet.I am not asking if I...
  6. What does RtkAudioService64.exe do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does RtkAudioService64.exe do?: When I check RtkAudioService64.exe to be run whenever user login, I would like to know on what RtkAudioService64.exe is doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I need it or not? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  7. Windows 10 does not recognize internet connection

Windows 10 does not recognize internet connection: Hello, I am having an issue with my laptop's internet connection. I am able to access the internet via my browser and many other applications, however Windows itself and some other applications that I need to use are unable to connect to the internet. This includes the...
  8. If I just got an update and it worked, Why is deviceCensus,exe asking what you already know?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I just got an update and it worked, Why is deviceCensus,exe asking what you already know?: How do we know what you are collecting with this app? Where can I see the white paper for this app? Where can I see the data you would collect? How can I opt out?...
  9. Why does wireless icon say no Internet connection?

Why does wireless icon say no Internet connection?: I just switched to Windows 10 from the Apple/Mac OS world, and am still learning my way around. Why does my home network connection say No Internet, Secured, or just Secured sometimes? I have one of those networks where one of them is 5G at the end. I have tried both of the...
  10. If I reset my Windows 10, does it need an internet connection?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I reset my Windows 10, does it need an internet connection?: Hello, 3-4 days from now I'm gonna reset my computer because of some issues like = I dont have a wifi option neither an airplane mode in windows 10 lmao = Instability issue =Windows Update and Defender so I'm just wondering if resetting my computer needs an internet...