Windows 10: What is “Fast” Startup doing?

Discus and support What is “Fast” Startup doing? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ive recently (3 Oct 20) completed the Win7 > Win10 migration (whilst the jurys still out on whether I consider it an upgrade Ill confess its going much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ritjesman, Oct 7, 2020.

1. ritjesman Win User

What is “Fast” Startup doing?

Ive recently (3 Oct 20) completed the Win7 > Win10 migration (whilst the jurys still out on whether I consider it an upgrade Ill confess its going much better than feared) and am familiarizing myself with the changed environment. One thing thats puzzling me is Fast Startup. Given the lack of consensus found on the net regarding the value of Fast Startup I ran some tests to satisfy my curiosity. My methodology was to (a) turn off AV, (b) shutdown from cmd window (shutdown /s /f /t 0) and (c) run vbs script with different scenarios:

What is “Fast” Startup doing? [​IMG]

The second Fast Startup UNchecked is because I was so startled at the first run having the same reboot time as Fast Startup checked. Apparently the most charitable thing that can be said based on these observations about the impact of Fast Startup on boot/reboot times is that its negligible at best.

What is Fast Startup doing since it doesnt actually seem to have anything to do with starting up? Is it integral to some other function (?sleep, maybe?) or is it marketing trivia I can safely ignore?

:)

ritjesman, Oct 7, 2020
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Oct 7, 2020
  3. Turn off Fast Startup

Hi Michel,

Please take note that you must be signed in as an Administrator to be able to turn fast startup on or off. Fast startup requires that
    hibernate be enabled. If you disable hibernate, then it will also disable fast startup.

Steps on how to manually turn off the Fast Startup

• Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the
      Power Options
      icon.
    • Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side
    • Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top
    • If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes
    If the option for turning off the Fast Startup is not available, then changing the registry key maybe required.

Note: Please note that configuring Registry key requires extra care as it might cause another issue with your system.

• Type RegEdit in the search field on your Task bar
      and open the Registry tool.On the left pane of the Registry window, locate
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power.
    • On the right pane of the said location, check if the HiberbootEnabled
      is available. If not, we need to create it by clicking the right key of the mouse, select New
      and click on DWORD (32 bit) Value.
    • Replace it with the word HiberbootEnabled under Name
      column.Data value must be zero (0) that will represent as the Fast Startup is turned off.
    • Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Steps on how to disable UAC in Windows 10

• Type UAC in the search field on your Task bar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the
      Start button and choose Search.)
    • Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click
      OK.
    • You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
    • Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

We look forward to your response.

Kerwin Lee, Oct 7, 2020
  4. What is “Fast” Startup doing?

Fast Startup not working but hibernate is working.

Hello Anubhav,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the fast startup is not working after the check disk in your PC. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What issue were you facing to perform the check disk?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?
    • Which Edition of Windows 10 are you using?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Using Group Policy Editor:

Note: This option for using group policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro editions.

• Press Windows Key + R combination and put gpedit.msc in
      Run dialog box.
    • In the left pane navigate to:

• Now look in the right pane, you’ll got the policy named Require use of fast startup as shown above.
    • Double click on this policy to get the window shown below.
    • Now you can use following settings:
    • Force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Enable
    • Do NOT force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Disabled/Not configured
      (Default Setting)
    • After making changes click Apply followed by OK.
    Restart the machine and check if it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

What is “Fast” Startup doing?

1. What is “Fast” Startup doing? - Similar Threads - “Fast” Startup doing

2. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  3. Fast startup and not restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fast startup and not restarting: my laptop is not shutting down when turned off fast startupand my laptop not restating and stuck at restarting screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup-and-not-restarting/990556db-e64f-4c38-91aa-d9e15ea7ccba
  4. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  5. What is "fast startup"?

What is "fast startup"?: There are lots of posts here on how to enable and disable "fast startup", but I don't see anything explaining what it is. Please don't reply telling me that it is a feature that causes Windows to startup faster. I figured that much out for myself. I would, however, like to...
  6. Fast Startup

Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  7. what is the advantage of fast startup windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the advantage of fast startup windows 10: after experiencing the following : hardware error windows 10 CRITICAL EVENT A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly. Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: ab I have been advised to uncheck the Turn on fast...
  8. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  9. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...
  10. No fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    No fast startup: Hi i have looked in power settings and all i have is sleep and lock no fast startup box to tick i have looked in hiberboot enabled and it is set on (1) i do have 14393-222 build and i do not have any other problems with windows 10 just slow start up. Hp workstation 2tb hard...