Windows 10: What is "fast startup"?

Discus and support What is "fast startup"? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; There are lots of posts here on how to enable and disable "fast startup", but I don't see anything explaining what it is. Please don't reply telling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jaygourley, Dec 1, 2020.

1. What is "fast startup"?

There are lots of posts here on how to enable and disable "fast startup", but I don't see anything explaining what it is. Please don't reply telling me that it is a feature that causes Windows to startup faster. I figured that much out for myself. I would, however, like to know more about how it accomplishes this expedited startup.

:)

jaygourley, Dec 1, 2020
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Turn off Fast Startup

Hi Michel,

Please take note that you must be signed in as an Administrator to be able to turn fast startup on or off. Fast startup requires that
    hibernate be enabled. If you disable hibernate, then it will also disable fast startup.

Steps on how to manually turn off the Fast Startup

• Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the
      Power Options
      icon.
    • Click/tap on the Choose what the power buttons do link on the left side
    • Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link at the top
    • If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes
    If the option for turning off the Fast Startup is not available, then changing the registry key maybe required.

Note: Please note that configuring Registry key requires extra care as it might cause another issue with your system.

• Type RegEdit in the search field on your Task bar
      and open the Registry tool.On the left pane of the Registry window, locate
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power.
    • On the right pane of the said location, check if the HiberbootEnabled
      is available. If not, we need to create it by clicking the right key of the mouse, select New
      and click on DWORD (32 bit) Value.
    • Replace it with the word HiberbootEnabled under Name
      column.Data value must be zero (0) that will represent as the Fast Startup is turned off.
    • Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Steps on how to disable UAC in Windows 10

• Type UAC in the search field on your Task bar. (If the search field isn't visible, right-click the
      Start button and choose Search.)
    • Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify and click
      OK.
    • You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
    • Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

We look forward to your response.

Kerwin Lee, Dec 1, 2020
  4. What is "fast startup"?

Fast Startup not working but hibernate is working.

Hello Anubhav,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the fast startup is not working after the check disk in your PC. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What issue were you facing to perform the check disk?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What is the make and model of your PC?
    • Which Edition of Windows 10 are you using?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Using Group Policy Editor:

Note: This option for using group policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro editions.

• Press Windows Key + R combination and put gpedit.msc in
      Run dialog box.
    • In the left pane navigate to:

• Now look in the right pane, you’ll got the policy named Require use of fast startup as shown above.
    • Double click on this policy to get the window shown below.
    • Now you can use following settings:
    • Force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Enable
    • Do NOT force “Hybrid boot” to be always turned on = Disabled/Not configured
      (Default Setting)
    • After making changes click Apply followed by OK.
    Restart the machine and check if it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

What is "fast startup"?

1. What is "fast startup"? - Similar Threads - fast startup

2. How do I disable fast startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable fast startup?: The option is there but when I try to click it nothing happens . It has indicated that fast startup is enabled but can't be unchecked or checked.. Azn it's grey with a check.....
  3. How do I disable fast startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable fast startup?: The option is there but when I try to click it nothing happens . It has indicated that fast startup is enabled but can't be unchecked or checked.. Azn it's grey with a check.....
  4. Fast startup causing my laptop to turn on after being shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast startup causing my laptop to turn on after being shutdown: my laptop was working fine until suddenly, when fast startup is on, whenever i click shut down, my laptop, after shutting down, automatically boots right back up? how to fix this issue?...
  5. Fast startup causing my laptop to turn on after being shutdown

Fast startup causing my laptop to turn on after being shutdown: my laptop was working fine until suddenly, when fast startup is on, whenever i click shut down, my laptop, after shutting down, automatically boots right back up? how to fix this issue?...
  6. Disabling Fast Startup on Windows 10 causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen....

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disabling Fast Startup on Windows 10 causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen....: Good day. From the question itself, every time I Disable Fast Startup on Windows 10 it causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen. Opposite to what other people have been experiencing. Now if I enable "Fast startup, windows has to boot twice before starting. Can...
  7. Disabling Fast Startup on Windows 10 causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Fast Startup on Windows 10 causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen....: Good day. From the question itself, every time I Disable Fast Startup on Windows 10 it causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen. Opposite to what other people have been experiencing. Now if I enable "Fast startup, windows has to boot twice before starting. Can...
  8. Disabling Fast Startup on Windows 10 causes not to shutdown. Reverts back to Lockscreen....

9. Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. -: Hi, I've been experiencing issues with my PC. It turns off randomly while playing games, not while doing other tasks. In some games the system will completely go black without shutting down; for example: Mouse, Keyboard and Screen will turn off and fans will reduce their...
  10. Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. -

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4. -: Hi, I've been experiencing issues with my PC. It turns off randomly while playing games, not while doing other tasks. In some games the system will completely go black without shutting down; for example: Mouse, Keyboard and Screen will turn off and fans will reduce their...