Windows 10: What is going on with my search box?

Discus and support What is going on with my search box? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just bought a brand new Surface Laptop 3, foolishly thinking that a move to a true Microsoft product may just result in a more satisfying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ElardusMare, Jan 9, 2020.

1. What is going on with my search box?

I have just bought a brand new Surface Laptop 3, foolishly thinking that a move to a true Microsoft product may just result in a more satisfying Windows experience.

Alas, so far my experience is marred by the search function not working properly not that it has even been perfect.

The problem is that I can do only one search at a time and as soon as I have found some files, the search block turns grey, preventing further searching or editing of the search string as I was used to doing. I've first go to close the file browser and reopen explorer to try another search. Even then re-opening is no guarantee that I can use it immediately as often the search block is completely inactive, even if no more greyed out.

The only remedy to get it active again is to reboot.... Very, very annoying for someone used to searching files instead of browsing.

Please help!!!

What is going on with my search box? f6819482-af1e-46db-8751-976a3068e74d?upload=true.png

:)

ElardusMare, Jan 9, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jan 9, 2020
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Jan 9, 2020
  4. What is going on with my search box?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

What is going on with my search box?

1. What is going on with my search box? - Similar Threads - going search box

2. Windows 10 Search box disappeared. What are my options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search box disappeared. What are my options?: My windows search box disappeared a few days ago and it has been replaced with a magnifying glass icon. I've tried following every guide I've found regarding this issue and none have helped. When I try to right click on the taskbar and hover over the "search, the "show search...
  3. Windows 10 Search box disappeared. What are my options?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Search box disappeared. What are my options?: My windows search box disappeared a few days ago and it has been replaced with a magnifying glass icon. I've tried following every guide I've found regarding this issue and none have helped. When I try to right click on the taskbar and hover over the "search, the "show search...
  4. Windows 10 Search box disappeared. What are my options?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. my start button and search box are not working - what is the solution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my start button and search box are not working - what is the solution?: my start button and search box are not working on Windows 10 - what is the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-button-and-search-box-are-not-working/69a77ce9-3130-4858-aba8-15e6a354dd1d
  6. my start button and search box are not working - what is the solution?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my start button and search box are not working - what is the solution?: my start button and search box are not working on Windows 10 - what is the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-start-button-and-search-box-are-not-working/69a77ce9-3130-4858-aba8-15e6a354dd1d
  7. my start button and search box are not working - what is the solution?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. What's going on with windows search bar

in Cortana
    What's going on with windows search bar: The top image shows a glitched out search bar, it occurs when I open some application and sometimes happens randomly on its own. It gets fixed if I hover over it, and afterwards it looks like the bar in the second image. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is it just a...
  9. What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the syntax of search strings in File Explorer's search box?: File Explorer has a search box in the upper right. If I type the string ~* then it doesn't just search for filenames starting with tilde. Somehow I found that I can type file:~"*~*" and it finds all filenames containing a tilde. But tomorrow I might want to search for...
  10. My search box is not working.

in Cortana
    My search box is not working.: [ATTACH] My search box is not working. As you can see in the picture is not showing any results of calculator. At first it used to show but now its not showing anything.... Please help... its so irritating to go inside the list of apps and access anything....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cortanas search box not working