Windows 10: What is happening with File History? Windows 10

Discus and support What is happening with File History? Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I first had problems in October 2019 and created a thread - I didn't receive a definitive answer. Here's a snip I posted - taken from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Taffy087, May 14, 2020.

1. Taffy087 Win User

What is happening with File History? Windows 10

I first had problems in October 2019 and created a thread - I didn't receive a definitive answer.

Here's a snip I posted - taken from my Notifications.

What is happening with File History? Windows 10 687d2237-595d-405e-a768-734e1d720dd1?upload=true.png

I searched for my thread just now but couldn't find it - there are at least 1000 threads shown.

The message has reappeared today.

I recall that one expert said that File History was 'deprecated' i.e. functions or elements of it are in the process of being replaced by newer ones.

Has any progress been made please?

Or should I simply ignore the message?

PS If I've posted in the wrong forum, would a Moderator please move it. TIA

:)

Taffy087, May 14, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 14, 2020
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, May 14, 2020
  4. What is happening with File History? Windows 10

Windows 10 File History Not Working

This issue can also happen if Indexing service (Windows Search service) is disabled. To check this setting, kindly follow these steps:

• Open Run and type Service.msc.
    • Double-click on Windows Search and check if it's disabled. Set it to
      Automatic.
    • Click on Apply, then choose OK.

This setting scans and inspects the file system from time to time. It looks for changes to backup your files when you start using the File History.

Additionally, we suggest checking 'Mike P's reply to a similar concern found on this thread posted last October 4, 2015:

File History - Could not enable File History
    . Renaming the folder did the trick relating the same issue.

Let us know of the status or progress regarding your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, May 14, 2020
Thema:

What is happening with File History? Windows 10

1. What is happening with File History? Windows 10 - Similar Threads - happening File History

2. What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What happens when I select a drive to use with File History Back Up?: I'd like to use the File History Back Up feature. I bought a Solid State Drive and now have it running as my system drive. My old drive is connected as a second drive and has all my saved data. I want to know what will happen if I select my second drive as the Back Up Drive....
  3. File History Catalog and Restoring Backup Image ... What Will Happen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History Catalog and Restoring Backup Image ... What Will Happen?: The Windows 10 File History feature stores the configuration files and catalog files both on the local C: and the File History target drive (correct me if I'm wrong please) and keeps them in sync. Is there any documentation or accounts of what happens when someone restores a...
  4. What are the drive requirements for File History?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What are the drive requirements for File History?: I have been trying to set up File History for my father's Windows 10 Home PC. I've attached several HDs via a USB3 port but keep getting "no drives found" when trying to set up file history. Some drives were in a docking station and one (which I most want to use) is a 2TB...
  5. File History Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Windows 10: I have tried to enable File History on my Windows 10 PC. It does not backup anything! Does Microsoft still support this product? I can't find any information on Microsoft's support site....
  6. What's happening to Windows 10?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What's happening to Windows 10?: For the last few months, everybody who uses windows on a daily bases is experiencing a lot of bugs, errors, and problems with the windows store, apps, and games. I've got this error code 0x803F8001 when trying to start Prey from xbox game pass for windows. By trying to fix it...
  7. Windows 10 File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File History: Can I back up more than one internal drive to Windows 10 file history, or only the C-drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-history/4cdcb03a-8a54-42a8-9051-9bfb349fbeef"
  8. Windows 10 File History

Windows 10 File History: what is Wondershare file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-history/4c03fdd0-8943-469e-9748-1080ce65fe16"
  9. What is happening to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is happening to Windows 10: Hello! I was quite happy using Win10 with a Homegroup, for my Desktop and two laptops. I have an All-in-one printer hanging off the desktop. Everything worked just fine. Then you took away Homegroup and it took me about a week to get my laptops to see the desktop and be...
  10. What is happening to Windows 10

What is happening to Windows 10: Hello! I was quite happy using Win10 with a Homegroup, for my Desktop and two laptops. I have an All-in-one printer hanging off the desktop. Everything worked just fine. Then you took away Homegroup and it took me about a week to get my laptops to see the desktop and be...