Windows 10: What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows?

Discus and support What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. all. I have not enough knowledge about PC and Windows. I'm always suggested to "Reset Windows" by people whenever I encounter PC troubles. So, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnDoe_h251qh, Feb 26, 2021.

1. What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows?

Hi. all. I have not enough knowledge about PC and Windows.

I'm always suggested to "Reset Windows" by people whenever I encounter PC troubles.

So, I want to know what is installed by "Reset" windows in Recovery menu without USB WinRE key.

Many web sites describe just "Recovery is done by WinRE in Recovery Partition", somtimes "Recovery partition has factory preset Windows image and 'Reset' restores factory preset Windows". But a few days ago, I reset Windows to troubleshoot. Then I got the latest Windows10 all WindowsUpdates are already included. When I reset Windows, I logged on Microsoft Account and connected PC to the Internet.

Therefore, I wonder whether recovered Windows is the same as the recovery image in Recovery Partition ? or the latest Windows image downloaded from the Internet ? Moreover, does WindowsUpdate modify the recovery image in Recovery Partition?

Additionally, I would like to know about UEFI System partition. I googled the information about that partition and I knew that UEFI boot loader loads 2nd boot loader, 2nd boot loader loads windows kernel, and windows kernel starts SCM and loads drivers on that partition. I would like to know whether WindowsUpdate modifies UEFI partition, because if WindowsUpdate modifies, Windows seems not to be restored to factory preset by "Reset" Windows.

I'm a noob about PC, so my question may be vague.

If someone tells me clues, I appreciate.

Thank you for reading.

:)

JohnDoe_h251qh, Feb 26, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Microsoft Details Reset and Refresh Features Built Into Windows 8

In the latest Building Windows 8 blog post (published yesterday) Microsoft is talking about the options available to 'rekindle' the flame of a Windows 8 install. These options include the definitive Reset, which will basically re-install Windows and remove all personal data, apps, and settings from the system, and the less 'damaging' Refresh, which will reinstall Windows or restore a previously-created image of the OS, while keeping data, settings, Metro style apps and such, untouched.

What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows? windows_8_reset_refresh_01_thm.jpg

What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows? windows_8_reset_refresh_02_thm.jpg

What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows? windows_8_reset_refresh_03_thm.jpg

To do a Reset, users will need to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) that will handle the actual data erasing tasks and proceed with re-installing the operating system. The drive format can either be 'Quick' to save time, or 'Thorough', to ensure that the data erased will be very hard to restore. At the end of the Reset process, you'll get a new Windows install, just waiting to be customized.

For people who don't want to start from scratch the Refresh option (which is also accessible via Windows RE) will be the way to go since the result will be a new OS that feels a lot like the one you're used to, hopefully minus any issues brought on by certain apps or settings. Now, the Refresh function will 'transition' data, settings, and apps from the old to the new Windows install, but not everything will be as it was. By default, a Refresh will restore only Metro style apps, so any desktops apps you have, say Photoshop, Chrome, Steam, have to be re-installed. Also, not all settings will be preserved. According to Microsoft, the File type associations, Display settings and Windows Firewall settings are among the things a Refresh won't restore.

Another Refresh option involves creating an image of Windows 8 using the recimg.exe command line tool, and restoring it when things go south.

"After you've created the custom image, whenever you refresh your PC, not only will you be able to keep your personal data, settings, and Metro style apps, but you can restore all the desktop apps in your custom image as well," says Desmond Lee on the Building Windows 8 blog. "And if you buy a PC that already comes with a recovery image on a hidden partition, you'll be able to use the tool to switch from using the hidden partition to instead use the custom image you've created."

Using a copy of the Windows 8 Developer Preview, Microsoft tested out both Refresh and Reset to prove they are time-saving options. The results show that a Reset (on a system without BitLocker encryption enabled) took 23 minutes and 52 seconds, while a Reset (Quick) took just 6 minutes and 12 seconds. A Refresh required 8 minutes and 22 seconds to complete. That's quite fast but still, let's hope we won't have to do Resets or Refreshes too often.

Source: Building Windows 8

Cristian_25H, Feb 26, 2021
  4. qubit Win User

What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows?

Microsoft Details Reset and Refresh Features Built Into Windows 8

InfoWorld isn't so impressed with this feature and their article makes for interesting reading. Me? I'm not so negative about it as I think it sounds useful.

So, what do you think of it?

qubit, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows?

1. What is installed when we "Reset"or"Refresh" Windows? - Similar Threads - installed ResetorRefresh

2. Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Copilot app getting installed on Windows devices: Last week, Microsoft revealed that it started to push its AI Microsoft Copilot to more Windows 10 and 11 devices. The feature, still in preview at the time of writing, shows up as an icon on the Windows taskbar. The tool is enabled on Windows 11 version 23H2 devices by...
  3. Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10: Whenever we install a program on a Windows 11/10 PC, they do not get uninstalled automatically or disappear. We need to uninstall the programs manually. Some users are complaining that installed programs disappear after restarting the PC. In this guide, we show how to fix...
  4. When installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983.: Like the title says when I try installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-installing-windows-update-i-keep-getting-the/74aa4b87-08b1-4890-afb2-6108158cb5f2
  5. When installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983.: Like the title says when I try installing windows update I keep getting the install error 0x800f0983. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-installing-windows-update-i-keep-getting-the/74aa4b87-08b1-4890-afb2-6108158cb5f2
  6. can not install kb5034441.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can not install kb5034441.: Can not install KB5034441. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-install-kb5034441/145f1243-416a-4880-b958-6617ae3876b2
  7. can not install kb5034441.

can not install kb5034441.: Can not install KB5034441. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-install-kb5034441/145f1243-416a-4880-b958-6617ae3876b2
  8. can not install kb5034441.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Low Memory Usage After Installing Custom Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low Memory Usage After Installing Custom Windows 10: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/8an2klfgwcpc1.png?width=615&format=png&auto=webp&s=5f8925be626965edf38406f5a7924ef29e277ff8 submitted by /u/SkrSkrWhizzingRound [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure

Windows 10 to Windows 11 Upgrade failure - Cannot fully Install McAfee after failure: A bit of conflict between a windows 10 upgrading to windows 11 update failure discovered while attempting to install McAfee Scanning Tool. Windows error: This PC doesn't currently meet Windows 11 system requirements. The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11....