Windows 10: What is local disk Z?

Discus and support What is local disk Z? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I see drive C and drive D, but don't know what local disk Z is . It's 256 mb in size, and about half full. I can't open it to see what's on there since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mr Ed, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Mr Ed Win User

What is local disk Z?

I see drive C and drive D, but don't know what local disk Z is . It's 256 mb in size, and about half full. I can't open it to see what's on there since I get a message, "permission denied." It's been there for a long time, but I'm just now getting curious.

:)

Mr Ed, Jan 2, 2017

2. what is a local disk drive ands its difference between a local c drive?

Without context, the question is difficult to answer properly.

From where are you getting the terms?

A "Local Disk" is just that - local to the machine in question (connected, not via network.)

"Local C" would be the "Local Disk" with the "C:\" letter associated with it.

Shenan Stanley, Jan 2, 2017
  3. what is a local disk drive ands its difference between a local c drive?

a sincere question-

sincerecarter, Jan 2, 2017
  4. What is local disk Z?

I've seen this also, I think you'll find it's a partition of the main "C drive" that shouldn't show. A restart usually gets rid of it for me.
    Hope this helps.

thegeriatric, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Mr Ed Win User
    I believe you're right, except in my case restarting doesn't change anything. A little more investigating seems to confirm it what you said. Thanks.

Mr Ed, Jan 2, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    {by me, from a related thread} Do not delete it, it's necessary for the computer to start. I have hidden system partitions appear as a Z drive too, usually after doing a virtual drive mount. Here's how to remove the letter from the drive to keep it from appearing under This PC (see screenshot of command prompts) window) -

Win+X/Command Prompt (Admin) {hit enter after each following command, observing spaces and letting each command finish}
    diskpart
    list volume
    select volume #
    {whichever # is assigned to Z, example is 4, as if that appeared next to Z; eg- 0 to remove E)
    remove letter=Z
    list volume
    {not shown, but run to verify letter was removed}

What is local disk Z? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jan 2, 2017
  7. Mr Ed Win User
    Thanks. Looks easy enough.

Mr Ed, Jan 5, 2017
  8. drai Win User

What is local disk Z?

I have just seen this local Z disc in my comp. for last few days.
    I've scanned it by Malwarebytes.
    It found 4 threats in Heuristic scan.
    Log file below:

File: 4PUP.Optional.NewTabTV, C:\USERS\\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\LOCAL STORAGE\http_tr.newtabtv.com_0.localstorage, Quarantined, [2593], [359416],1.0.2064PUP.Optional.NewTabTV, C:\USERS\\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\LOCAL STORAGE\http_tr.newtabtv.com_0.localstorage-journal, Quarantined, [2593], [359416],1.0.2064PUP.Optional.NewTabTV, C:\USERS\\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\LOCAL STORAGE\http_search.newtabtvsearch.com_0.localstorage, Quarantined, [2593], [359410],1.0.2064PUP.Optional.NewTabTV, C:\USERS\\APPDATA\LOCAL\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\LOCAL STORAGE\http_search.newtabtvsearch.com_0.localstorage-journal, Quarantined, [2593], [359410],1.0.2064Physical Sector: 0(No malicious items detected)(end)

Restart.

And then local Z disc disappears.

*Smile)

9. jumanji Win User
    jumanji, May 31, 2017
  10. badrobot Win User
    At that size, it's clearly a system file. Tampering with it could make your Windows unbootable.

Edit:

Ooops, sorry. Old thread. Someone replied a few minutes before I did. I thought it's new. Haha...

badrobot, May 31, 2017
  11. drai Win User
    What is local disk Z? [​IMG]

12. Drive Z comes and goes on Gayle's HP laptop. Shows up some time after one of the major updates, hangs around a while and then goes away. All on it's own.

Wiley Coyote, Jun 1, 2017
  13. mrgeek Win User

What is local disk Z?

"Drive Z comes and goes on Gayle's HP laptop."

I have an HP too but have not seen it in quite a while, even after Creators Update. I suspect it has to do with a virtual image mounting but rather than diagnose where it came from, although I did uninstall HP Support Asst, just remove the drive letter using my method in Post 4 and be done with it.

mrgeek, Jun 1, 2017
  14. The laptop sees limited use, so for the time being I'm going to just leave it and see what happens. If it doesn't go away on it's own, then you post will take care of it for me.

Wiley Coyote, Jun 1, 2017
  15. mrgeek Win User
    Consider the fix as a tornado shelter. You may never need it but it's good to know where to look. *chuckle

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

What is local disk Z?

1. What is local disk Z? - Similar Threads - local disk

2. i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...: i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C disk is also NTFS format. the extend volume button isnt working for me even as an administrator....
  3. i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...: i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C disk is also NTFS format. the extend volume button isnt working for me even as an administrator....
  4. Toshiba Storage Drive changed To "Local Disk S:" and won't let me access my storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba Storage Drive changed To "Local Disk S:" and won't let me access my storage: 2 days ago my storage drive stopped working, my storage drive is a Toshiba storage drive, I have tried to access the files but it freezes the file explorer. I have tried nearly all methods I could find such as installing it, trying to update it which I couldn't find a drive...
  5. Toshiba Storage Drive changed To "Local Disk S:" and won't let me access my storage

Toshiba Storage Drive changed To "Local Disk S:" and won't let me access my storage: 2 days ago my storage drive stopped working, my storage drive is a Toshiba storage drive, I have tried to access the files but it freezes the file explorer. I have tried nearly all methods I could find such as installing it, trying to update it which I couldn't find a drive...
  6. Toshiba Storage Drive changed To "Local Disk S:" and won't let me access my storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  8. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  9. My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening: I am trying to download a big game but I cant because my local disk is full so I went to the storage setting in the settings app and when I check what category is taking up so much storage I see its Apps & Features, I take into account how much is taken up by it and when I go...
  10. My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening

My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening: I am trying to download a big game but I cant because my local disk is full so I went to the storage setting in the settings app and when I check what category is taking up so much storage I see its Apps & Features, I take into account how much is taken up by it and when I go...