Windows 10: What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it

Discus and support What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft introduced Connected Standby power mode in Windows 10/8. It allows devices to go instant on or off and run background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jan 4, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it

WinClub, Jan 4, 2020
  2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

t0yz, Jan 4, 2020
  3. Which Laptops support Modern Standby ?

I called the Microsoft Store, Dell Support and Lenovo sales support.

I asked which systems they had that supported Modern Standby (Consumer or Business Systems).

No one had heard of Modern Standby. The Microsoft Store person didn't even recommend the Surface Pro, which I found out through a PCmag Review, has Modern Standby but Microsoft Sales support did not confirm.

Thanks,

Steve

Paul.Review.2020, Jan 4, 2020
  4. What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it

Best Buy says all Windows 10 PC support Modern Standby now, Is this true ?

Good day!

Microsoft does not sustain a list of laptops or devices that support Modern Standby.

You will also find that Modern Standby is usually not listed on a specs sheet or features sheet.

The only way to tell is to type "powercfg /a" into a command prompt. If "S0 Low Power Idle" Is listed, then you get modern standby.

To be honest, I would say to not trust best buy. If you want to ask about the surface and other Microsoft products, you should live chat/call Microsoft and ask them as they know best. Best Buy is there to sell you products and they will usually try to tell
    you what you want to hear.

You could, however, go into best buy and run the command yourself to test it.

For what it is worth, laptop mag says "Many laptops — including many brand-new, premium systems — don't support Modern Standby"

https://www.****/articles/how-to-use-m...

Hope this helps

Zackary Vanosdol, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it

1. What is Modern Standby? Find out if your Windows PC supports it - Similar Threads - Modern Standby Find

2. How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?: My laptop has been exiting Modern Standby for unclear reasons. Network connectivity during standby is disabled and ability to wake from sleep is disabled for all devices in Device Manager.Just had a situation where laptop was supposedly on sleep for 4 days, but it turns out...
  3. How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find what program is using SetThreadExecutionState to cause exit from Modern Standby?: My laptop has been exiting Modern Standby for unclear reasons. Network connectivity during standby is disabled and ability to wake from sleep is disabled for all devices in Device Manager.Just had a situation where laptop was supposedly on sleep for 4 days, but it turns out...
  4. How to find out if your Windows PC supports DirectStorage

in Windows 10 News
    How to find out if your Windows PC supports DirectStorage: DirectStorage is a relatively new technology to improve game loading times on supported devices. Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system supports DirectStorage, and support has also been added to Windows 10. Microsoft has pushed out several versions of the DirectStorage API...
  5. Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?: Hi all AFAIK there are no solution of this terrible problem which force everybody with new notebooks to spend many hours of their lifes harvesting with the question "what's wrong with my NB???" and to find only the answer "be happy, it is for you convenience!". So, first of...
  6. Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?

Modern Standby - MS, what are you smoking there?: Hi all AFAIK there are no solution of this terrible problem which force everybody with new notebooks to spend many hours of their lifes harvesting with the question "what's wrong with my NB???" and to find only the answer "be happy, it is for you convenience!". So, first of...
  7. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  8. windows 11 modern standby

windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  9. Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0

in Windows 10 News
    Find out if your PC supports TPM 2.0: One of the pre-requisites for Windows 11 is TPM 2.0, the Trusted Platform Module according to Microsoft. While Windows 11 will install on devices with TPM 1.2, some functionality may not be available in this case. In 2016, we published a guide on finding out of a Windows...
  10. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC: Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to...