Windows 10: What is my best course of action?

Discus and support What is my best course of action? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been following the various threads concerning DISM and SFC with interest as both commands are generating the source problem. I have to say that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by parsonm, Jun 23, 2017.

1. parsonm Win User

What is my best course of action?

I have been following the various threads concerning DISM and SFC with interest as both commands are generating the source problem. I have to say that the PC doesn't have the the problem with the Windows Central Reset apps as they are not there at all. However, the sfclogs.txt are showing the following:-
    2017-06-23 21:35:28, Info CSI 00002850 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
    2017-06-23 21:35:30, Info CSI 00002852 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30]'ODBC Data Sources (64-bit).lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-(MDAC)-ODBC-Administrator, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
    2017-06-23 21:35:35, Info CSI 000028a0 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:30]'ODBC Data Sources (64-bit).lnk' of Microsoft-Windows-Microsoft-Data-Access-Components-(MDAC)-ODBC-Administrator, version 10.0.14393.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
    2017-06-23 21:35:35, Info CSI 000028a1 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:169]'Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-enduser~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14393.0.Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-enduser-Deployment'
    2017-06-23 21:35:35, Info CSI 000028a4 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file \??\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\ODBC Data Sources (64-bit).lnk; source file in store is also corrupted
    2017-06-23 21:35:37, Info CSI 000028e8 [SR] Verify complete

I have suspected that the ODBC Data Source was suspect for some time now but given the source file is also corrupt what is my best course of action?

:)

parsonm, Jun 23, 2017
  2. Jose Est Win User

Possibly just installed a virus... best course of action??

Hi,

Your device running on Windows 10 is equipped with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall to help protect it from viruses and other malicious software.

We strongly suggest using both Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

In the event that you feel Windows Defender and Windows Firewall missed something, refer to this
    link for more information on how to remove
    malware or viruses using the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Jose Est, Jun 23, 2017
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    Possibly just installed a virus... best course of action??

"... in the event you attempt to install infected software."

Where did you download this infected software from? Was it thru peer to peer network, a Torrent download perhaps? I ask because that's a Data Recovery program, which is obvious, but there's no reason it'd be infected unless you tried to get it as a freebie
    somewhere. BAD idea.

Basically, I am wondering if that prompt would override anti-virus & firewall protocol.

The prompt itself wouldn't cause that problem. It's possible the infection caused the issue, when you said Yes to the prompt. You were agreeing to install an infected program. The reason for AV apps is to protect you from such things. Also, malwares often
    mess with security programs. As for the Firewall needing manually turned on, I'm 'guessing' the infection or the removal process is responsible.

You could report that on Avast support forums and see what they have to say about it. You can locate their forums by doing a search. I would get their opinion on it, too.

It'd also be good idea to check this informative post out, lots of good advice by "quietman".

Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection

CarolLJ, Jun 23, 2017
Thema:

What is my best course of action?

1. What is my best course of action? - Similar Threads - best course action

2. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's Best !: Hi again, just been looking at my "Default apps" and wondered if I have the best! Looks like my music is set to "Windows Music player", my videos set to open with "Films and tv" and photo viewer with "Photo" ! All recommended by Microsoft ! I have tried VLC over the years but...
  3. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's Best !: Hi again, just been looking at my "Default apps" and wondered if I have the best! Looks like my music is set to "Windows Music player", my videos set to open with "Films and tv" and photo viewer with "Photo" ! All recommended by Microsoft ! I have tried VLC over the years but...
  4. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. my course work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my course work: Hello. I have worked really hard for my course work and when i was in lesson i couldn't load up the work that i have done so far and i don't know where the saved work is. i have looked everywhere for my work but i couldn't find anything at all. could you please help me....
  6. my course work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my course work: Hello. I have worked really hard for my course work and when i was in lesson i couldn't load up the work that i have done so far and i don't know where the saved work is. i have looked everywhere for my work but i couldn't find anything at all. could you please help me....
  7. what is the best choice for threat action

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    what is the best choice for threat action: Hello : what is the best action i should take when threat found, it is: 1- remove 2- quarantine 3 allow on device thank you. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/what-is-the-best-choice-for-threat-action/088f16ea-41ca-4427-93d0-ab705db6e1ae
  8. Best Classroom Courses To Learn Software Embedded Engineering

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best Classroom Courses To Learn Software Embedded Engineering: Hello, What are the best courses to learn Embedded Engineering? I'm a good programmer in just about any computer language you can mention. But for example, I don't know how to use the multitude of protocols to talk to the hardware. Some easy examples of these protocols...
  9. Corrupt user profile Creators Update, best course of action?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Corrupt user profile Creators Update, best course of action?: I have strong reasons to believe my user profile is corrupted following a manual upgrade to the Creators Update version 1703, with missing icons and other weird program behavior. I'm unsure what might be the best thing to do, I could try to move my existing data to a new...
  10. Corrupted data - Suggest a course of action

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted data - Suggest a course of action: Thanks for your replies. I will do some tests on the drive when I can. If the drive is failing intermittently, it could be a nightmare to diagonose. I think the customer isn't against changing the drive for another one (I could even try convincing her to get an SSD). I will...