Windows 10: What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot

Discus and support What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by explummer, Sep 23, 2015.

1. explummer Win User

What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot

My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important files. I installed the Win10 environnment just to play around with 10 during the technical preview. Now, I would like to disable the 10 environment and upgrade the 7 to 10. Am I able to do this, or have I already "used up" my one upgrade on this computer's Windows license?

I notice that in Windows 7 I have not received the icon in the notification area that invites me to upgrade to 10. This makes me think I might have used up my chance to upgrade.

My end goal is to have a single Windows 10 environment. Note that the reason I want to upgrade my 7 environment to 10 is because I don't want to have to re-install all of my programs and files into the current 10 environment.

Thanks.

:)

explummer, Sep 23, 2015

2. Dual boot windows vista and windows 10

Hi,

Before I assist you further please provide us below details,

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

2. Did you install windows 10 and windows vista by dual booting?

I would like to inform you that you can upgrade to windows 10 if you are using windows 7 service pack 1 and from windows 8.1.

Refer to the below link to know suggested by Andre Da Costa on July 13, 2015 to know more about upgrade path

Upgrade Path to Windows 10

So as you said that you would like to use some programs in windows Vista you can use this operating system in dual boot state.

And if you use windows vista in dual boot it will not interfere with using windows 10.

Refer the below link suggested by Andre Da Costa regarding dual boot and check if it helps,

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Hope this information helps. Please get back to us if you have further more queries on windows we are glad to help you.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Sep 23, 2015
  3. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Back in the day I updated to Win10 by adding another SSD into my machine and created a dual boot when I "upgraded" from Win7. The other day my Win10 installation when belly up and I had to do a reinstall which has wiped out my dual boot. How do I tell Win10
    that my D:\ is my Win7 installation and crate a dual boot?

BryanDeVries, Sep 23, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You can use the Media Creation Tool to start the upgrade from the Windows 7 OS. You can either just run the "Upgrade this PC now" option, or save the ISO file, use a program in Windows 7 to mount the Windows 10 ISO (or extract it), and then run setup.exe from it inside Windows 7.

If it was my PC, what I would do is use Macrium Reflect Free to image my current Windows 7 install to a file on the existing Windows 10 partition - and if you don't want that Windows 10 installation any longer, just reformat that partition before saving the image file to it. Then I would upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. You already have the extra partition, might as well use it to back up your Windows 7 in case something goes wrong.

After you run the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, it will probably leave the dual boot setup in the BCD store and you will have to manually delete the undesired Windows 10 entry using one of several different programs/commands available.

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  5. explummer Win User
    Thanks Navy for the guidance. Based on your answer I should not have any license issues, I'm assuming.

Good suggestion about the image backup. I already do image backups to an external drive (using Acronis 2014), so I have a way to recover if something goes wrong.

Thank you again.

explummer, Sep 23, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the Windows 7 is activated now, and you upgrade to the matching Windows 10 version, you should not have a license/activation issue. Do you have the Windows 7 product key written down/available? If not you will want to get it using showkey from this forum.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot - Similar Threads - upgrade path dual

2. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  3. Changing dual boot Windows computer to single

Changing dual boot Windows computer to single: W7/W10 dual boot computer My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single drive: 1) A primary partition with W7, program files, etc. 2) "My Stuff" (my documents and project files) 3) "Video" for my...
  4. What should be my original boot path?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What should be my original boot path?: After last windows update nothing worked right. Uninstalled it but now all is sluggish and some app won't even open. On start up it takes at least 3-4 minutes now to just get to Windows screen....
  5. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  6. Convert dual boot to single boot

Convert dual boot to single boot: I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production Win 10 Pro. I had the Insider versions to test my recording studio software and hardware but that is no longer necessary...
  7. Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine

Upgrade to Win10 on a dual-boot machine: For some work that I am still doing after retirement I need a dual boot machine consequently my Windows 7 Ultimate lives alongside Ubuntu 12.04 with a shared data partition. Does anyone know if it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10 without wiping Linux? I am still using...
  8. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...
  9. Upgrade 10 with dual boot

Upgrade 10 with dual boot: Hello. I have a Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2 dual boot laptop configuartion. If i upgrade my widnows 7 to Win10 does i will loose dual boot configs? Thanks 24273
  10. upgrading and dual booting

upgrading and dual booting: Hi everyone. My name is . I have Windows 7 X64 and I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. The question is (I get a free upgrade to Windows 10) can I dual boot windows 10 and Windows 7? Where is the consumer preview? Usually you can sample the operating system before...