Windows 10: What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

Discus and support What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe?

The storage world can be a confusing place, particularly for those trying to learn the basics. It’s a difference that might not seem like a big deal, but it can really affect how your system runs. Today we are talking about SATA-based SSD and NVMe-based SSD. What are the differences between them, and how can you find out which one you have in Windows 10?

What is SATA or NVMe SSD?

The basic thing to understand is that SATA (Serial Advanced Technology attachment) and NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) are standards or interface protocols. In simple words, they differ in the way storage connects to the motherboard. We already know that SSDs have advantages over the traditional mechanical hard drive, but using an NVMe SSD over SATA SSD can take it to the next level. Before we go ahead, let’s first check how they look.

SATA SSD

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? SSD-Sata.jpg

The rectangular-looking port is not new. We have seen the interface since the CD-ROM came into the picture, though it has improved with time. The latest SATA interface offers a transfer speed of 6 Gbit/s. This is twice as fast as the previous standard. This, combined with SSD, is excellent to improve Windows performance on old computers, especially if they were using a mechanical hard drive.

NVMe SSD

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? NVMe-SSD.jpg

If you can connect a storage device like the RAM or the memory module, data transfer speed can skyrocket. That’s what happened with the NVMe interface. It stands for Non-Volatile Memory Express and connects to the PCI Express or PCIe to transfer data to and from SSD. So it’s the same SSD but with a faster interface, and it offers up to 5x faster performance than traditional SATA SSDs. Because of the PCIe, the latency is reduced.

NVMe SSDs are the fastest SSDs you can buy today, offering up to 5x to 7x faster performance than traditional SATA SSDs. They are also much more expensive, which is why most people should stick with SATA SSDs. NVMe SSDs can be used in the same way as SATA SSDs, but if you want to use NVMe, you’ll have to make sure your CPU and motherboard support that form of storage.

How to tell if you have SATA or NVMe-based SSD?

The easiest way to know is to look into the cabinet and check according to the image shared, but if you don’t have those fancy see-through cabinets, here is how to find out. You can use the Device Manager or the BIOS/UEFI to check the listing.

1] Device Manager

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? Device-Manager-Disk-Drives-Type.jpg

• Use WIN + X, followed by M to open the device manager.
    • Expand the Disk drives section, and you should all the drives connected to the computer.
    • Note down the name, and search the internet for that, and you will know.

As you can see in the above image, I have two NVME and one SATA SSD. While the listing doesn’t reveal anything, you can use the names to figure out the exact model on OEM’s website.

2] Check in the BIOS

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? Advanced-Sata-COnfiguration-SSD.jpg

Most of the modern BIOS or UEFI offers settings for SATA and NVME separately. I have an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero that comes with UEFI BIOS utility, and it clearly marks the Sata, NVME, and HDD drivers. It is available under the Advanced section.

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? NVME-Bios-Windows.jpg

The configuration allows you to change settings such as SATA Mode, Raid mode, SMARt Self test, Hot Plug, and more.

3] OEM Software

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? interface-SSD-drive.jpg

Most of the OEMs offer software to manage SSDs. The software can give information such as health, temperature, over-provisioning, and more. Once you install the software, it will automatically detect the SSDs, and then look at the interface section. If it’s PCIe, then it’s the NVME drive; otherwise, it’s an SSD.

Figuring out between SATA SSD and NVME is easy. You can use any of these methods to figure out and then learn more about it. I hope the post was useful, and you have a clear understanding of the topic.

What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? NVMe-SSD.jpg
    This article What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Mar 11, 2021
  2. shminkie Win User

M2 NVME SSD

So you think it truly is worth it to have windows installed on an M2 NVME SSD instead of installing it on a sata-600 ssd and installing your most important software on the M2 NVME SSD ?

shminkie, Mar 11, 2021
  3. shminkie Win User
    M2 NVME SSD

How much exactly does Windows 10 benefit from being installed on an M2 NVME SSD compared to a SATA-600 SSD ?

Other than a faster boot time, how exactly does windows benefit from the direct connection to the cpu that an NVME SSD offers?

shminkie, Mar 11, 2021
  4. ACichocki Win User

Missing Boot record (Error code: 0xc000000e) after cloning OS from an NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD

After purchasing a new 1TB SATA SSD for increased storage capacity, I wanted to clone my C: drive and OS to this SSD from my original NVMe 1TB Storage SSD, format the NVMe by wiping it clean and then transfer the OS from the SATA SSD back to the NVMe.

With a completely wiped NVMe SSD, I rebooted my PC hoping it would boot from the SATA SSD however came across the Blue Screen Error code 0xc000000e. At this point I think I have erased my boot record, originally thinking it was copied over with the clone

So far I have managed to reinstall windows onto a temporary 120GB SATA SSD, transfer this onto the NVMe SSD but now want to somehow restore/recover the OS clone drive made on the 1TB SATA SSD with the missing boot record so I do not lose my licence key and
    a lot of other data.

Thankfully I use Onedrive and cloud based storage extensively so I'm not worried for documents and files but more for the PC settings which were optimised as a workstation from home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACichocki, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

1. What is SATA or NVMe SSD? How to tell if SSD is SATA or NVMe? - Similar Threads - SATA NVMe SSD

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties: Hey All, (this thread has been raised on HP forums under: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...m/td-p/7340240 I also raised separate thread here: Windows 10 restarts to black screen after SSD clone) I decided to move off SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to NVMe SSA (SAMSUNG...
  6. Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning old system drive on sata SSD to a nvme SSD on a new rig.: Long story short, I need to clone the content of my old machine's sata SSD into my new machine's nvme SSD so I can continue using my current installation without losing my software, settings, personal files etc. I have a clone of my drive on another SSD at the moment for...
  7. Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can a NVMe SSD simply replace a SATA 3?: 4 months out of warranty, the SSD in my Lenovo Yoga 920 died. I was going to replace it with another 80mm SATA 3 SSD but just discovered NVMe SSDs. I'm wondering whether I can use one of these or whether in fact some devices do or don't have NVMe support. 138101
  8. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  9. Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help needed to understand NVME/SATA ssd types.: Right my system is an Acer pre-built, it comes with a 1Tb SATA HDD and a 16Gb Intel Optane cache. The system works perfectly, I have no issues really but I was considering swapping the Optane module out for a normal NVME SSD. To me it makes sense because instead of relying on...
  10. NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NVMe vs Sata 3 SSD Performance Comparison: Today I got the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb NVMe drive. Previously I was using the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive. The two screenshots below show the difference between Sata 3 based SSD and an NVMe one. [img] [img] So for those of you who are thinking about getting one...