Windows 10: What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

Discus and support What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a few questions about Secure Boot and Memtest86: What is Secure Boot? If I accidentally downloaded a virus instead of Memtest86 and tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BaranSK, Aug 23, 2021.

1. What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

I have a few questions about Secure Boot and Memtest86:

1. What is Secure Boot? If I accidentally downloaded a virus instead of Memtest86 and tried to run it on a bootable USB does Secure Boot stop it or can it get control over my whole PC? If I understand MS documentation correctly, is it a feature that allows only programs signed by Microsoft to boot from USB? Is Memtest86 signed by Microsoft?
    2. Can antivirus like Windows Defender detect malicious .img files?
    3. Is Memtest86 from this site safe to use? Why do I never see people like Linus or JayzTwoCents use it?
    4. Can Memtest86 damage my RAM by stressing it too much?

Thank you for your answers

submitted by /u/BaranSK
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BaranSK, Aug 23, 2021

2. Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

So Linux is switching to secure boot also? Or they have to because of UEFI?

Damn_Smooth, Aug 23, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows 8 Secure Boot Feature: Not So Secure?

• Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Linux
    • Oh and OSX
    Here is a statement from a Kernal Developer at Red Hat:

I'm not sure this exploits the legacy BIOS but rather it exploits the legacy boot method on MBR drives, injecting a signed key before the OS boots, which you are correct in that it has nothing to do with Windows 8. And the simplest fix would just be to require boot drives use GPT when Secure Boot is enabled in UEFI.

newtekie1, Aug 23, 2021
  4. ksio89 Win User

What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

Memtest86 Free instead of Memtest86+

Just a suggestion for users here who need to perform RAM tests to rule out hardware issues: Memtest86+ 5.01 has a bug with CPU multicore support (Parallel), as it hangs after some time testing and the only safe way to perform the tests is in single core mode, which is extremely low. This usually happens with test #7:

Memtest86+ is freezing while running test #7

The original proprietary version, Memtest86 6.2.0 Free, does not have this bug, which it means it performs the passes much, much faster than Memtest86+. Apparently, older builds of Memtest86+ do not hang with multicore support enabled as well.

Another advantage of Memtest86 over 86+ is that it supports EFI+GPT, so you don't need to disable Secure Boot on UEFI menu to boot the USB drive with Memtest86 installed like you do with 86+, as it's installed only in MBR. The tests are the same, it perform 4 passes and it can even save a report in HTML format after ending the test. You can download the free version here:

MemTest86 - Download now!

Here is the report in PDF so you can have an idea:

https://www.tenforums.com/attachmen...rruption-memtest86-report-20151231-152538.pdf

ksio89, Aug 23, 2021
Thema:

What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

1. What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86 - Similar Threads - Secure Boot Questions

2. Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update: I only just learned that the next wave of mitigations for CVE-2023-24932 are coming out tomorrow/April 9th, and that this update will be applied automatically by Windows Updatewill this be its own update, or will it be included in the Cumulative Update for...
  3. Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions About the Upcoming April 9th Secure Boot Update: I only just learned that the next wave of mitigations for CVE-2023-24932 are coming out tomorrow/April 9th, and that this update will be applied automatically by Windows Updatewill this be its own update, or will it be included in the Cumulative Update for...
  4. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Security: I was having major computer troubles a few weeks ago, and a local tech company's technician reverted my Windows 10 back to version 1903 because my computer was taking a long, long time to start up. He also installed the newest version of Bitdefender free trial on this older...
  5. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Windows Security: I was having major computer troubles a few weeks ago, and a local tech company's technician reverted my Windows 10 back to version 1903 because my computer was taking a long, long time to start up. He also installed the newest version of Bitdefender free trial on this older...
  6. Question about Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  8. A question about security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A question about security: So, first of all sorry for asking this question again but. Recently I upgraded to the Fall update for Windows 10, and ditched Avast as I feel it used to be a great software but not anymore sadly. So the main question is, if you guys could suggest a software that is good...
  9. Question About Browser Security

in Browsers and Email
    Question About Browser Security: My bank's website recently stopped supporting browsers other than IE. I found a way around the fact that the login button doesn't work in my favorite browser, but after testing the sites other features, a question occurred to me. Are there likely to be any security issues...
  10. MemTest86+ version 5.01 Booting Failures/"Use of" Questions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MemTest86+ version 5.01 Booting Failures/"Use of" Questions: TenForums is the best source I've seen for MemTest86+ guidance, so here are two questions regarding MemTest86+ version 5.01. 1. I downloaded a Memtest86+ V5.01 "Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" and extracted and burned the small ISO file to a DVD-RW. At the time my PC...