Windows 10: What is Service Host: Server?

Discus and support What is Service Host: Server? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, My new company requires us all to use Citrix Workspace for office related work. Ever since I've installed this software, I've noticed that my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Shreyas Yakhob, Sep 3, 2020.

1. What is Service Host: Server?

Hi all,

My new company requires us all to use Citrix Workspace for office related work. Ever since I've installed this software, I've noticed that my machine is super laggy. Even when I log off of Citrix Workspace and exit the application, I notice it is super slow.

I opened up my task manager and noticed that there is high CPU and Memory usage. Occasionally, even Disk Usage is at a 100%. When I sort by CPU usage or Memory %, usually the culprit is Service Host: Server.

I tried googling this several times to no avail. Every time I mention "high CPU usage" or "high memory usage", all the results point to Service Host: Local Network or Service Host: Superfetch. Not one of the results even contain Service Host: Server in any of them. It's like Server is a ghost that doesn't exist.

I haven't noticed if such a process existed in my system before installing Citrix for the first time, but I am sure that it exists now and is eating up my system resources.

A little background about my device:

This device is at least 6 years old, and I remember having installed some less than legitimate software in it a long time ago. About a year ago, I tried to purge this device of all the **** in it, and one of these apps refuses to get removed. When I try to delete it, I get a message saying that "An administrator has blocked me from running this app." I'm trying to remove it, not run it! I am the admin and the only user of this device. Which admin is blocking me? It's so mysterious. So, I'm guessing it's a virus that has made my device its home and is refusing to leave. However, this was a year ago, and I let it go. I've not had any performance issues and furthermore, I want to save up for a new device that is currently out of my budget, so I need this one to survive until then.

However, the performance lag is unbearable. So, my paranoid self started thinking that ever since I installed this Citrix, this probable virus has reacted to its existence and is turning malicious wasting away my system's resources. Keep in mind that this problem app was installed 5-6 years ago, and I have never had performance issues until a month ago when I had to install Citrix Workspace.

I went on a long story about this, but to summarise:

1. What is Service Host: Server? Is it supposed to exist?
    2. How to delete an app which prevents me from deleting it with a message that reads "An administrator has blocked you from running this app"?

Thanks

Shreyas

:)

Shreyas Yakhob, Sep 3, 2020

2. Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Sep 3, 2020
  3. scoob101 Win User
    Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

Hi,

I run a home server for Hosting file shares, a Plex server, an LMS Squeezebox server, and Ubiquiti management server. The hardware is about 8 years old and I`m looking to upgrade.

One thing I would like to do is some VR gaming (Elite Dangerous specifically) and I`m thinking about leveraging the new hardware to host the server in a Hyper-V VM on the Windows 10 Pro machine, and then install Elite Dangerous on the host operating system for some VR gaming action.

As the 2012 R2 server hosts a number of essential services for the home, it needs to be running reliably 24/7, even when Im gaming on the host (which will be infrequently). The services running on the 2012 server take very little resources.

My question is - assuming I spec a good multi-core system, with plenty of RAM and a fast SSD for the OS - are there any issues with the approach I`m suggesting?

Would VR gaming work reliably in this configuration?

scoob101, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Castiel Win User

What is Service Host: Server?

Dedicated Server Host

I would contact Digital Ocean before implementing a game server on a droplet. Because it is still shared hosting, this is basically built for websites and applications. FYI, they are a new company and I would read the reviews for them because I have seen several times people have lost their data due to their "SSD" solutions.

I would suggest to price match your best out of dedicated game server hosting, don't try to use a web hosting company. Because you will max out the shared resources when the server is full.

Castiel, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

What is Service Host: Server?

1. What is Service Host: Server? - Similar Threads - Service Host Server

2. Service Host Local Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host Local Service: I opened my task manager one day and now I have like a million "Service Host Local Service". Can you shed any insight on this? I attached a snap shot of my task manager and they processes shown are only a little bit. They go on and on and on. This seems extremely suspect....
  3. Service Host Local Service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Service Host Local Service: I opened my task manager one day and now I have like a million "Service Host Local Service". Can you shed any insight on this? I attached a snap shot of my task manager and they processes shown are only a little bit. They go on and on and on. This seems extremely suspect....
  4. Service Host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Service Host: hi, I want to know that why service host Network services or other network services Consumes much Data ? What if i End task of them using Task Manager ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/service-host/fb6970a1-fec3-490f-97de-2c7ab3f61d92
  5. Service Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher causing problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Service Host: DCOM Server Process Launcher causing problems: Hello, I seen some old posts about the Service Host problem causing CPU spikes, and pc problems. I recently updated my PC, and started having problems with this process. Has there been any fix actions for this problem??...
  6. What is Host Process for Windows Services?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is Host Process for Windows Services?: Why is it eating all my internet data? Is it responsible for updating Windows? or what? submitted by /u/AayushBoliya [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k21mi9/what_is_host_process_for_windows_services/
  7. Service host : Server using lots of CPU and RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Service host : Server using lots of CPU and RAM: Hi, Today I found out that the RAM and CPU of my laptop are being overutilized. Service host is using a lot of resources. Steps followed till now: 1 Ran DISM restore health. 2 Disabled some startup programs and updated drivers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  8. What is "Service Host: Network Service" and how do I kill it?

What is "Service Host: Network Service" and how do I kill it?: I can't close it in task manager without an ominous "doing this will make the computer unstable" but I have no idea what it is or what it's doing, apart from hogging 100% of my internet bandwidth. I hate it. How do I stop this?? Please help. submitted by /u/Dirthara...
  9. Service Host: "Server" - using 50% of CPU all the time

Service Host: "Server" - using 50% of CPU all the time: [ATTACH] Hi All Wondering if anyone else has had this problem where Service Host: Server using around 50% of CPU all the time. Really starting to bug me now as making mouse cursor jitter now and then when running other programs/games and CPU load stays at 100%. I looked...
  10. service host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    service host: I have an issue with 'service host' taking up most of my disk space ,and my pc has been encountering issues ever since 'service host' has been showing up in my task manager in large numbers. What can i do about it ;to free up my disk space. My pc has also been crashing...