Windows 10: What is the best command to create a file containing paths

Discus and support What is the best command to create a file containing paths in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I may be doing something wrong but 'dir', 'tree' and their variable switches so far have not given me what is needed. I am trying to match a list of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by questorfla, Feb 7, 2019.

1. What is the best command to create a file containing paths

I may be doing something wrong but 'dir', 'tree' and their variable switches so far have not given me what is needed.

I am trying to match a list of paths taken from a database with the actual files contained in its master-folder I know for sure that many of the files are stored in incorrect locations. In other cases the file-type has been changed from doc to .docx or .pdf. I'm sure there are several that really are not there at all.

In an effort to not lose half the of the data stored there, I need a listing from the Master folder showing the Path to all the files it contains stored in a text file. Or better yet, in an Excel file since the current list from the database program is in an Excel format.

This involves a huge number of files. The master-folder contains over 350,000 files. The database says there are close to 150,000 files that are not where they should be. Those are effectively lost unless i can find them put them where the DB program thinks they should be either by path or modified file-type. There is no capability for such a "search and fix" routine built into this old software

Bottom line, I need a way to create a list of all the paths leading to files in the master-folder structure so i can compare it against the list i was able to extract from the DB program to make the necessary corrections so the data will show up.

:)

questorfla, Feb 7, 2019

2. Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Feb 7, 2019
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Feb 7, 2019
  4. What is the best command to create a file containing paths

Replacing corrupt files

Hello,

Error: 0x800f081f can occur when an alternative installation source is specified and one of the following conditions is true:

• The location that is specified by the path does not contain the files that are required to install the feature.
    • The user who tries to install the feature does not have at least READ access to the location and to the files.
    • The set of installation files is corrupted, incomplete, or invalid for the version of Windows that you are running.

To fix this problem, make sure that the full path of the source is correct (x:\sources\sxs) and that you have at least Read access to the location. To do this, try to access the source directly from the affected computer. Verify that the installation source
    contains a valid and complete set of files. If the problem persists, try to use a different installation source.

To resolve the issue, kindly follow the steps below.

• Download the Windows Media Creation tool, and create an ISO image locally, or create an image for the version of Windows that you have installed.
    • Configure the Group Policy as in Method 2, but also follow these steps:
      • Mount the ISO image that's created in step 1.
      • Point the Alternate source file path to the ISO sources\sxs folder from the ISO.
      • Run the gpupdate /force command.
      • Add the .Net framework feature.

Check if that resolves the issue.

Your response to the solution will be highly appreciated.

Vanessa Oca, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

What is the best command to create a file containing paths

1. What is the best command to create a file containing paths - Similar Threads - best command create

2. Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...: I recently set up my new laptop with Windows 11 and Office 365. I am trying to use my command prompt with various programs and it continues to show the user as the truncation of the first 5 characters of the user name in Windows 11, even after editing the name to properly...
  3. Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Truncated User Name creates problem with command prompt and file path even after editing...: I recently set up my new laptop with Windows 11 and Office 365. I am trying to use my command prompt with various programs and it continues to show the user as the truncation of the first 5 characters of the user name in Windows 11, even after editing the name to properly...
  4. Best way to use the path command for every session?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best way to use the path command for every session?: The net of this is, shades of 1980s DOS, I'd like to have a PATH established for every Windows session, using the DOS PATH command. 35 years ago, I'd place the command in my c:\autoexec.bat file - but how do I achieve that today? Here's the exact scenario: I am using the...
  5. List files with path using Windows command line

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List files with path using Windows command line: I would an output txt file to list the entire path using a windows command line to a txt file. I want the output to be like this: C:\Folder 1\folder 2\file.doc...
  6. What is contain in memory HDMP FILE ,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is contain in memory HDMP FILE ,: What is contain in memory HDMP FILE , which is created in wer folder ? ANY PERSONAL FILE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-contain-in-memory-hdmp-file/0882deac-dd5c-4ef8-a065-379bad2f1891
  7. Microsoft Print to PDF silently fails creates 0kb if filename or path contains comma

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Print to PDF silently fails creates 0kb if filename or path contains comma: Doesn't matter the original program you are printing from, if your filename or path contains a comma the Microsoft Print to PDF silently fails creating a 0kb corrupt file.Microsoft rep Lance Cai MSFT acknowledged this 6/29/16 on this post yet still doesn't appear to be fixed....
  8. Create a File List at a Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Create a File List at a Command Prompt: From the directions on the support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/196158/how-to-create-a-text-file-list-of-the-contents-of-a-folder dir > filename.txt doesn't work for me in Windows 10. I get the error "There is not enough space on this disk." Even though...
  9. What is the best upgrade path for 8.1 to 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best upgrade path for 8.1 to 10 pro: I just purchased a new windows 8.1 laptop. I need to upgrade to a Pro version. my previous laptop was 7 pro. As I would rather not have to learn two new operating systems (have not worked with either 8 or 10 yet) - I thought I would get to 10 pro as soon as possible....
  10. Creating playlist files that contain the songs?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating playlist files that contain the songs?: Hi! I've recently discovered a new artist and I want to make a "Best Of" sorta thing. I have all of the songs and I made an .m3u file that points to the songs location on my computer. However I was wondering if there's a file format / some way for a playlist so that I only...