Windows 10: What is the best free AV software, Bitdefender or Avast?

Discus and support What is the best free AV software, Bitdefender or Avast? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a tight budget right now but need a dependable AV for my computer with Win 10. I've heard good things about Avast but dislike the popups and I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mandroid, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Mandroid Win User

What is the best free AV software, Bitdefender or Avast?

I have a tight budget right now but need a dependable AV for my computer with Win 10. I've heard good things about Avast but dislike the popups and I also like Bitdefender but need advice on this issue. Thanks in advance!

:)

Mandroid, Feb 27, 2018
  2. [RMH] Win User

Removing Bitdefender Free

I had been using Bitdefender Free and decided to go with Windows Defender. I uninstalled Bitdefender through apps and programs, but Win Defender still saw Bitdefender as the default AV and would not load. I went through the Windows 10 registry and deleted
    all instances of bitdefender and the gziface.exe executable, but Win Defender still reports that another AV program is in operation and will not load.

BitDefender is the only AV program ever installed on this computer so I know that is what Win Defender is objecting to.

How can I get all traces of BD off and activate Win Defender?

[RMH], Feb 27, 2018
  3. petrib Win User
    What is the best free antivirus software for Nokia E72 ?

When you link, go to a questionable web site with a mobile phone, the web site does not have access to local data, and cannot install some malicious application to your phone without your knowledge, either.

That is, unless there some exploitable browser vulnerability that allows something like that, but I haven't heard of any on any Nokia phone models.

petrib, Feb 27, 2018
  4. john3650 Win User

If you choose Avast, right click the taskbar icon, then tick 'silent mode', and you will get no pop ups.

john3650, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Mandroid Win User
    In your opinion, is Avast a dependable AV software?

Mandroid, Feb 27, 2018
  6. xrobwx Win User
    In my opinion and the opinion of many, many others across the professional technical community is that Microsoft's own Windows Defender since version 1709, is a new and improved and very robust Antivirus. I would even say it might exceed the 3rd party and paid for AV's in the fact it's fully integrated into Windows 10. What's new in Windows 10, version 1709 | Microsoft Docs scroll down to Security after clicking the link and get all the info on the new Win Defender you need.

xrobwx, Feb 28, 2018
  7. I've used Avast 16 years, started in 2006, but recently switched over the systems to Windows Defender for following reasons it's improved since version 1709 of WIndows 10 released, fully integrated is really nice, no more uninstalling/reinstalling to fix issues like i did with Avast over the years. or updating program version monthly and restarting interrupting anything working on, much more enjoyable using This Desktop and Laptop, and such

AMDMan2016, Feb 28, 2018
  8. Mandroid Win User

I've heard so much that Windows Defender is just not enough to protect my Windows 10 OS. That's what I originally have installed in my desktop but I've been led to believe that WD does not protect well against malware and such. Is this wrong?!*Eek

Mandroid, Feb 28, 2018
  9. Well most folks think it's fine, i just recently started fully using it myself, so far so good in my own personal opinion here, scan with Malwarebytes free as secondary scanner weekly, so far found nothing missed, i'm sure others will have opinions, and varying degrees of opinions on this topic.

Also depends on users surfing habits, how they handle there email, and things like that, i lately feels it's enough as i grew tired of Avast popups, constant uninstall/reinstalls as recommened by there forum to fix issues at times, as well as installing new program version monthly

AMDMan2016, Feb 28, 2018
  10. Mandroid Win User
    I never really had any problems myself with it either. I did install the free version of Avast and set it to silent mode because I also grew tired of the popups.
    Thank you so much for your help and advice!

Mandroid, Feb 28, 2018
  11. Tonyb Win User
    hmm windows defender is it enough in this day in age one wonders .

Tonyb, Feb 28, 2018
  12. RickC Win User
    Instead of relying on opinions, have a look at the tests at av-comparatives.org and draw your own conclusions. For example, the latest 'real world protection' test (November 2017) shows Avast Free (99.5%) and Windows Defender (99.6%) as almost identical, both beaten (narrowly) by BitDefender (99.9%). Top-rated was Panda (100%).

Hope this helps...

RickC, Feb 28, 2018
  13. Steve C Win User

I used to have Kaspersky antivirus but no longer get a free licence from my bank after the recent bad press. I now just use Defender augmented by periodic scans with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes as advised this forum and other antivirus reviews.

Steve C, Mar 1, 2018
  14. cereberus Win User
    People really do not get it when they look at tests. The tests may show Defender having a 0.4% higher risk, but if you looked at results, you would almost certainly find result was in a very obscure and rare virus. Not only that, new viruses come along all the time, and there is no guarantee a tool with marginally higher score will protect you. Indeed, many people only update 3rd party AVs periodically. Defender updates daily.

In the end, it is bad user practice that is by far the biggest risk.

People who use a tool because "it has the best score" get lulled into false complacency.

It is a bit like driving a car with ABS brakes. We know ABS brakes work better in icy conditions BUT nothing works on pure sheet ice, and I am anazed how many people have become over reliant on ABS brakes and drive too fast and/or too close to cars ahead in poor conditions.

cereberus, Mar 1, 2018
  15. Barman58 Win User
    I use Bitdefender Total security - unlimited devices , which I am willing to pay for, several reasons for this ... It has been consistently at or near the top of the various charts produced for as long as I can recall.

It also provides a set of complementary tools over all my devices PCs, Laptops, Phones, and Tablets, so protects all possible entry points from infection.

It is controlled from a central location, that way I can check and update protection simply - If I purchase a new phone I can log onto my central control (the minute I have internet access) and it's protected before I leave the store

It's currently updated hourly to catch issues quickly and includes good heuristics detection for zero day issues.

To expand on your ABS analogy which I fully agree with, If you are planning or possibly going to end up driving on sheet ice, it's a good idea to carry snow/Ice chains or even fit studded tyres. You need a layered approach that meets your needs, and that is thought of and planned, before it happens, ( It might even prevent our current UK total stoppage due to winter weather that a lot of areas of the world would laugh at *Wink )

Recommendation

For someone working on a budget I would suggest that you run Windows defender and a weekly scan with Adaware and Malwarebytes to cover everything - also get to know and try to use the protected folders feature of Windows 10 (It's a PITA but it adds a lot to any security plan)

Total cost of this package is $0

If you have a little cash on hand I would also suggest that you look at regular backups to an external drive that is kept disconnected when not in use I use Aomei Pro but the Standard version will suit home usage better. another option is the forum favorite Macrium Reflect the software is free but you may need to purchase suitable drive or convert an old unused drive

Barman58, Mar 1, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the best free AV software, Bitdefender or Avast? - Similar Threads - best free software

2. best free photogrammetry scanning software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    best free photogrammetry scanning software: best free photogrammetry scanning software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-free-photogrammetry-scanning-software/2281bd97-558f-42df-85ca-8cea9578ddce
  3. Best free video rotating software?

Best free video rotating software?: I am looking for something that will rotate videos that are about 10 minutes in length without having to register or pay for anything.
  4. What is the best free hard drive recovery software

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the best free hard drive recovery software: What is the best free hard drive recovery software that can recover permanently deleted files. And will the recovery process hurt the hard drive in any way?...
  5. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  6. Cannot delete Free Avast AV

Cannot delete Free Avast AV: Hi I was installing a program, missed unticking the Free Avast Antivirus software, now its partly installed itself, i cannot delete it. Its not in my programs and features file, it's in my start menu. If I go to file try to delete it is says I don't have Admin rights, I'm...
  7. Best Free AV for Old PC?

Best Free AV for Old PC?: I have an older Windows 7 desktop that I need a free Antivirus for, one that's light on system resources preferably. I tried MBAM and it uses up quite a bit of CPU, my old PC would run loud when I had MBAM on it. I need something lightweight and completely 100% free.
  8. Best free video rotating software?

Best free video rotating software?: I am looking for something that will rotate videos that are about 10 minutes in length without having to register or pay for anything.
  9. Bitdefender Free AV

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitdefender Free AV: I like to try out things I have not used before so today I have installed Bitdefender AV and I like what I see up to now, I may be tempted to buy it *Smile [img] [img] 77320
  10. Best FREE MP4 to DVD Software?

Best FREE MP4 to DVD Software?: I saw that there were several packages that I have always used, like CDBurnerXP and ImgBurn. However, these will not work with MP4 files. So, is there any good FREE software out there I should get? I ask as I only use this once or twice a year at the most. Thank you all. OH,...