Windows 10: What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...

Discus and support What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi How do I configure my firewall rules settings to make my computer secure. Because there are too many rules from incoming and outgoing and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mrdbeta, Sep 12, 2019.

1. mrdbeta Win User

What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...

Hi

How do I configure my firewall rules settings to make my computer secure.

Because there are too many rules from incoming and outgoing and sometimes as a user we do not which to block the rules.

:)

mrdbeta, Sep 12, 2019
  2. mike1127 Win User

firewall rule to block addresses NOT on an IP list?

I am just starting to learn the Windows Firewall (working on both Windows 7 and 10) and I'm not impressed with the inflexibility of its rules. I would like to know if

1. Is there is a way to do what I want with Windows Firewall?
    2. Is there is a third-party firewall that would do it?

What I want to do is create a rule that blocks outgoing connections, for program X, that are to a destination **NOT** in an IP list.

Windows Firewall is not very flexible in how you specify IP list rules. When you give an IP list, your rule will match that list... you can't say "trigger the rule for non-matching IP addresses." Therefore to allow outgoing connections to a list, you have to

1. Change the entire firewall policy to block outgoing connections by default so that you can create an "allow rule" matching your list. This will mess up the rest of your programs.

2. Somehow combine a block rule and allow rule. Create a block rule for most traffic, with the "allow" rule overriding it when appropriate. However, this doesn't appear to be possible in general. It **may** be possible for connections that use IPSec, I'm not sure. And I'm not sure if I can use IPSec in my application.

And is there a third-party firewall that can do it? Most 3rd-party firewalls are LESS sophisticated than Windows Firewall, because the use case they are addressing is providing an interface that doesn't require much comprehension. I need one that's actually MORE sophisticated than Windows Firewall.

mike1127, Sep 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Firewall won't keep my inbound/outbound rules

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the Windows Firewall. I will certainly assist you.

I suggest you to restart the Windows firewall service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps for the same.

• Press Windows key + R simultaneously for Run.
    • Type services.msc and then Enter.
    • Right click on the Windows firewall services and then restart the services and check if it helps.
    If the issue still persists then I suggest you to remove and then read the Windows fire wall rule.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 12, 2019
  4. What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...

Firewall rule doesn't work

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern on Microsoft Answer Community.

I understand the inconvenience that can be caused when certain features do not work the way it is supposed to. However, we would like you to check with our Technet forum team to make custom rule on firewall settings, I would
    suggest you to post your query in TechNet forums,
    where we have the engineers with the expertise to provide solutions for issues related to custom firewall rule settings.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer...

1. What is the best possible ways to configure Firewall rules settings to make your computer... - Similar Threads - best possible ways

2. Firewall rules to make smb safer and still usable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall rules to make smb safer and still usable?: Hi everyone, my scenario is a Windows11-machine with two ethernet ports no wifi: one 2.5GbE port connected to the router/internet and a second 10GbE port connected directly to a Mac that is connected in turn to a couple of thunderbolt2 HFS+ RAIDs Mac "can" access to internet...
  3. Firewall rules to make smb safer and still usable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Firewall rules to make smb safer and still usable?: Hi everyone, my scenario is a Windows11-machine with two ethernet ports no wifi: one 2.5GbE port connected to the router/internet and a second 10GbE port connected directly to a Mac that is connected in turn to a couple of thunderbolt2 HFS+ RAIDs Mac "can" access to internet...
  4. What is the best way to backup my computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best way to backup my computer?: best way to make backup of whole system all programs, windows and etc and plz explain the following 1. File history2. Recovery driveif something happens like my boot drive fails then what to do*original title: backup...
  5. Firewall rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rules: [ATTACH] Does this symbol mean I have blocked outbound traffic for an application? If so why did the app just check for an update and confirm its current version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules/870791a0-328a-4d5c-ad0a-be99f93dfdb0
  6. What's the best way to make a backup of C drive Windows 10 installation and settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to make a backup of C drive Windows 10 installation and settings?: I want to install some third party Windows 10 themes but I've heard that when there's a Windows update, it can make the Windows unusable. So, is there a foolproof way to backup C drive Windows 10 installation and settings so that in case of a problem, I can quickly just...
  7. firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    firewall rules to stop circumventing router's DNS configuration: I hope that someone here can help me. My router is configured to point to specific DNS servers and I want to prevent someone from circumventing the router by changing the PC's network adapter properties with other DNS servers. Using Windows Defender on a Windows 10 PC, what...
  8. Firewall Rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall Rules: Can you setup exceptions for firewall rules? For example, if I have a port blocked inbound for ALL via GPO, can I create an exception to that rule to allow just certain IP addresses to get through the port being blocked? Win 10 ENT in a domain environment....
  9. Firewall rules

Firewall rules: I accidentally deleted outbound windows firewall rules. Will these reappear? Can this be dangerous? Please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/firewall-rules/1f7cbdda-d9e2-435a-96cb-6caef7699b88"
  10. Firewall rules resetting

Firewall rules resetting: For some reason I'm not able to keep my firewall settings saved. Specifically, apps that I allow through the firewall whether through prompt or control panel reset back to "not allowed.' I think this is happening after each update. It's extremely frustrating as I primarily...