Windows 10: What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates?

Discus and support What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm getting tired of updates breaking things on my workstation laptop which puts me out of commission and unable to work/needing to reformat. So I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chaosbringer255, Mar 15, 2021.

1. What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates?

I'm getting tired of updates breaking things on my workstation laptop which puts me out of commission and unable to work/needing to reformat. So I would like to disable updates entirely and perhaps only manually install defender updates as needed.

I've seen several methods to disable such as disabling the Windows Update service or setting the gpedit.msc policy to "Notify for download and install", but I've also seen people more recently say these methods do not work anymore.

So I've come here to see if anyone has had success with any modern methods of disabling updates that don't involve taking the computer offline entirely (I would if I could).

submitted by /u/chaosbringer255
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chaosbringer255, Mar 15, 2021

2. Is there any way to turn off Win10 updates PERMANENTLY?

I have taken several steps to attempt to permanently disable Win10 Updates.... but every attempt seems to fail.

To date I have

• told Windows I want to manually approve any updates.
    • turned off windows updates.
    • DELETED Win10 Update assistant (only to have it show back up again)
    • DISABLED Win10 Upddates in Task scheduler. (Only to have it re-enable itself.)
    • DELETED Win10 Updates in Task Scheduler. (Only to have it show back up again)
    The only thing I haven't done is revert back to Win8 which seemed to be a far more stable OS.

Win10 keeps telling me that I need an 8g "security update" and that I need to free up space on my C: drive ..... something I am not willing to do. I have put up with this for the last 3 months.... is there really any way to PERMANENTLY disable / delete
    / say "NO!!!!!!!!!" to Win10 Updates?

Thanks in advance for your helpful responses. Trolls.... yeah well, I know you're out there.... you're just as easily ignored.

BethelAbba, Mar 15, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Permanently Disable Windows Defender?

Since this is a TP. The option to turn off/disable Windows Defender is grayed out. However, you can turn off by:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

1. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: gpedit.msc
    2. Manoeuver to: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Defender
    3. Double click on "Turn Off Windows Defender" and select "Enabled" then click "Apply"

WARNING: After turn off "Windows Defender", you might not be able to turn it back on. I suggest before trying this, make a backup image so you can restore to the way it was.

What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 15, 2021
  4. EpsylonDH Win User

What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates?

How do I PERMANENTLY disable Window Ink for Windows 10 Pro 1803

I tried it, and after restarting the changes I made to these services persisted, but the "Use Windows Ink" box checked itself again... I tried unchecking it and restarting again for a double check, no effect :/

Still, thanks for the suggestion.

EpsylonDH, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates?

1. What is the best way to permanently disable Windows updates? - Similar Threads - best permanently disable

2. Defender Antivirus - What's the best way to disable it permanently

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Defender Antivirus - What's the best way to disable it permanently: What's the best way to permanently disable Windows Defender Antivirus on 21h1? Is this regfix still the best and at the same time 100% permanent solution? https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-how-turn-off-microsoft-defender-antivirus-windows-10-a.html Code:...
  3. Is there a way to disable updates on LTSC permanently?

Is there a way to disable updates on LTSC permanently?: My organization uses LTSC for running specific tasks, so there is never a need for any form of the security updates, I tried to disable them in the services, but unfortunately it turns itself back on after a reboot. So is there a way to disable the update permanently?...
  4. Is there a way to permanently disable Windows 10 updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there a way to permanently disable Windows 10 updates?: Hello, I have been having issues with windows updates as I have a 2GB/day data limit I usually pause the updates but after pausing I can`t seem to pause it permanently with methods on internet and updates resume eating my data limit. Is there a way to permanently disable the...
  5. Best Way to Permanently Block Windows 10 Updates

Best Way to Permanently Block Windows 10 Updates: The updates are worse than any security threats. What is the best way to block them entirely. Programs like shutdownblocker seem to not work long term. submitted by /u/uspsman [link] [comments]...
  6. Any way to permanently disable Windows Defender?

Any way to permanently disable Windows Defender?: I've tried disabling it in settings, but it always turns itself back on after a few hours or after rebooting the computer. I've seen people online proposing .BAT files that supposedly permanently disable it, but this didn't work for me and it wound up turning itself back on...
  7. Best way to update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to update: What is the most trouble free way to update Windows? Regular ol' Windows Update, Update Assistant or ISO? 139744
  8. Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?: I am fine with the small updates such as the KB***** ones. But I don't want the large ones such as the one coming in October 2018, Redstone 5. Is there a way to disable only these large updates? Windows shamelessly restarts computers for updates if it's kept idle. 117884
  9. Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to disable only major Windows updates permanently?: I am fine with the small updates such as the KB***** ones. But I don't want the large ones such as the one coming in October 2018, Redstone 5. Is there a way to disable only these large updates? Windows shamelessly restarts computers for updates if it's kept idle. 117884
  10. Best way for Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Best way for Updates: Hello all, did a Google search and just can't find a lot of answers on this so here I am Right now using WHdownload to keep up with updates,not sure this is the best way to go. Have 3 computer in house so moving updates from one to other to save data downloading. When...