Windows 10: What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

Discus and support What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having various issues/and Event errors that I'm trying to clean up. They include BITS and Perflib errors and Malwarebytes is not automatically or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ExpertNovice, Nov 3, 2017.

1. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

I am having various issues/and Event errors that I'm trying to clean up. They include BITS and Perflib errors and Malwarebytes is not automatically or manually updating, requiring me to reinstall about every other day. The biggest issue is that, when I log out, the system warns me another user is logged in... I'm thinking this is the new account (WDAGUtilityAccount) that Microsoft installed as most of my issues began at that point.

I'm thinking of standing up a new HDD and, once working, switching over to it. However, I can't shut down this system until it is ready. Thus, I need to install Windows 10 on it while leaving the Windows 10 working on the current drive. Of course, only one drive would be installed at a time.

Is my only recourse to buy another license?

:)

ExpertNovice, Nov 3, 2017

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Nov 3, 2017
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Nov 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

Its not clear what you want if you just want to fit a new hd then you can do that remove the old drive first so you can role back then do a clean install it will activate as its now stored on MS servers

Samuria, Nov 3, 2017
  5. ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2017
  6. Thanks for the response!

Sorry, standing up is an old? IT term. It means making a system available for use.

I am concerned about licensing issues. Are we allowed to put the OS on two HDD's and swap back and forth using the same license?

ExpertNovice, Nov 3, 2017
  7. Hi,
    Okay yes you can as long as neither is used at the same time that would be against terms of use *Smile
    You can dual boot like you say if it's on the same machine.
    Many use virtual machines the same way you and i just do it on read hardware instead of sharing resource like memory and cpu cores.

ThrashZone, Nov 3, 2017
  8. spunk Win User

This is a clear indication that your computer is infected.
    Start by downloading ADWCleaner from Malwarebytes and scan and clean. If you can get Malwarebytes to install and update, then run a scan with that. Also, run a scan with your Anti-Virus software.
    Of course, "Standing Up" a new HDD and doing a clean install of Window is preferable. You then can attach your old HDD as a secondary drive to copy over any personal files (ie) Pictures, Music, Documents etc.

spunk, Nov 3, 2017
  9. Spunk,

Thanks. I have run many scans, of varying types with the paid-for apps of Webroot, Emsisoft, and Malwarebytes. One individual at Malwarebytes had me run FRST and their MB check and didn't find any worrisome issues. However, I worry! *Biggrin

I didn't worry much from 1981 through 2007 when I finally got infected. From that point I began running with protection. Since then I have only logged false positives.

AdwCleaner is currently running and I'm gonna let it run while I get some sleep. thank you for your help and your time. I do have backups and have the equipment to attach my current drive externally.

ExpertNovice, Nov 4, 2017
  10. Thrashzone,

Thank you for your confirmation. I am likely to install a new HDD just to get a squeaky clean setup... not that it will stay clean.

11. Spunk,

The AdwCleaner log is at the bottom. The time is actually 2:10 AM, the 8:10 is GMT. It did find something!
    However, the online instructions say to uninstall the malicious programs. I don't know which apps to uninstall. Every entry in Programs and Features are either known or the Publisher is known.

Then run MalwareBytes; which finds nothing.
    Then run HitmanPro. As this is only a registry entry and HitmanPro only has a 30 day trial I'm going to wait on this.
    Zemana AntiMalware was run and found nothing.

I'm acutally surprised anything was found and thank you for your prompting me to run AdwCeaner!

Edited to followup... That registry entry was not found and a search of the registry found nothing for cloudfront. I'm wondering if it was added when AdwCleaner was downloaded or executed.

# AdwCleaner 7.0.4.0 - Logfile created on Sun Nov 05 08:10:16 2017
    # Updated on 2017/27/10 by Malwarebytes
    # Database: 11-03-2017.2
    # Running on Windows 10 Pro (X64)
    # Mode: scan
    # Support: Customer Support & Help Center
    ***** [ Services ] *****
    No malicious services found.
    ***** [ Folders ] *****
    No malicious folders found.
    ***** [ Files ] *****
    No malicious files found.
    ***** [ DLL ] *****
    No malicious DLLs found.
    ***** [ WMI ] *****
    No malicious WMI found.
    ***** [ Shortcuts ] *****
    No malicious shortcuts found.
    ***** [ Tasks ] *****
    No malicious tasks found.
    ***** [ Registry ] *****
    PUP.Optional.Legacy, [Key] - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\DOMStorage\d1o5u7ifbz3swt.cloudfront.net

***** [ Firefox (and derivatives) ] *****
    No malicious Firefox entries.
    ***** [ Chromium (and derivatives) ] *****
    No malicious Chromium entries.

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt ##########

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The most important thing is to only have one HDD connected when you do the clean install to it. That way you make sure that the boot files for the clean install of Windows actually get created on the new HDD and not just added to the old HDD. After you get the new HDD running Windows on it, by itself, then you can add/swap the old HDD back in and out at will. Just be careful not to contaminate the new HDD and installation of Windows with whatever is infecting the old one until you get to the point where you no longer use the old HDD at all, then you can reformat it to get rid of almost all viruses/malware. A few really nasty ones will get into the deep system sectors of the HDD, but that is very rare. A good secure erase procedure will get rid of the vast majority of infections.

NavyLCDR, Nov 4, 2017
  13. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD

Thanks NavyLCDR,

The only time a system of mine got infected it was a bad one. Nothing was lost. In this case I really think the only infection I have is Windows 10. Ok, that is a joke but I think Windows 10 has some issues that might be specific to my computer, for whatever reason. A new install may be the best way to fix that and there are many other benefits. The primary drawback is time and effort; especially with drivers on a brand name laptop...

ExpertNovice, Nov 5, 2017
  14. tonez Win User
    Its a windows ten forum, first time I have seen the joke but I am sure its been seen before the guys here are very smart *Biggrin

tonez, Nov 5, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    I am old and my father is older, there was never a term "Stand UP" for hard drives. The old Corvus 12" platter drives, you had to home the head by titling them. You cannot place the OS on two different hard drives, also why would you put the same OS on two different drives to begin with. Even if you used two different hard drive brands and types, Windows could care less.

bro67, Nov 5, 2017
Thema:

1. What is the "best" way to stand up a new HDD - Similar Threads - best stand HDD

2. Whats the best and easiest way to back up my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whats the best and easiest way to back up my data?: I'm lost! theres plenty of options:Whats the difference between creating a system image, system repair disc, copy and paste my file manually to a flash drive, and click on BACK UP from file history?...
  3. What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to migrate to a new HD?: I just got a NVMe drive and reinstalled Windows 10. I want to copy all my settings from my old drive which I was only using for a few months. Can I copy my entire user profile or something? Thanks for any ideas! submitted by /u/zWeApOnz [link] [comments]...
  4. best way to repair windows 10 hdd?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    best way to repair windows 10 hdd?: Hello, I have a windows 10 install that went bad. I am unable to boot from it says it needs repair I would like to recover data from it and use it again. What is the best way to go about repairing this drive? More specifically: can I avoid attempting to boot from it and...
  5. What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the best way to get the system spec for a new laptop?: I've just bought a Lenovo Legion Y520 & have used speccy to get system info. There is another source of info that I've used** - it's digs very deep eg it lists WUs installed/missing and is really is many pages long Does anyone know the name of it please? **PS I have the...
  6. I have a new, better laptop. What's the best way to set it up please.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have a new, better laptop. What's the best way to set it up please.: I bought a Lenovo Y520-151KBN some months ago - at that time I'd been having lots of problems with OneDrive and WU and also some major home improvements, so I decided not to set it up. OneDrive & WU have been resolved so at last I now have the time to set it up. I'm fairly...
  7. Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Best way Imaging HDD to a Virtual Drive: Hi, I have a Win 8.1 and I do not want to upgrade to Win 10, first concernes are about the lak of all Drivers (Sound, LAN,WLAN,BT). Before the Free Upgrade ends I thought to do a Image of my Win 8.1 Partition, upgrade it and see how it goes. Now, my HDD is 1TB, there are...
  8. Add a new child account - what's the best way?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Add a new child account - what's the best way?: We already have a family setup. Myself as head of household for the PC (admin), my wife as adult standard account and our son as a child account. We can all login without drama to the Windows 10 machine. However, now we want to give our second child an email address and a...
  9. Added SSD to Laptop. What's the Best Way to Reclaim Space on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Added SSD to Laptop. What's the Best Way to Reclaim Space on HDD: Happy New Year all! So I just added an SSD to my ASUS laptop. I removed the HDD when installing a fresh Win10 on the SSD. I installed the SSD in the original slot the HDD was in as recommended on the ASUS forums. Once Win10 completed installation, I added the original HDD...
  10. Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to migrate Win10 to new HDD: Title really says it all. I am getting my mother an upgraded MB/Processor/RAM for Xmas as she's on a MB from 2009 currently <LOL> The computer has a 1st or 2nd generation SATA 300GB HDD and the bundle package I ordered came with a brand new 1TB SATA HDD. Aside from...