Windows 10: What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain?

Discus and support What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been doing research about how to use EFS to encrypt a local folder on 1000 workstations in an AD domain. I thought I had done this before, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Benjamin Clements, May 13, 2020.

1. What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain?

I've been doing research about how to use EFS to encrypt a local folder on 1000 workstations in an AD domain. I thought I had done this before, but apparently had relied on a custom program to encrypt a particular folder.

It seems like I am overlooking something, because every GPO setting I look at either talks about only disabling or enabling the ability to do EFS, but not to encrypt a particular folder. In fact the folders preferences setting inside of GPO's allows you to set archive, hidden, or read-only attributes, but not encryption. The closest thing I found is the Encrypting File System Properties which you can check a box to "encrypt the contents of the user's documents folder", which is not the directory we need to encrypt.

Therefore, at this point, the only way that I can see to do this on an enterprise scale is to run a logon script through GPO that runs:

cipher /e /s:"c:\Encrypted"

Yes, it would be better to run bitlocker -- but many of these workstations don't have TPM keys, due to age and also due to previously not having any custom data on them.

Surely someone has run into this before?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Benjamin Clements, May 13, 2020
  2. Meisha Win User

Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, May 13, 2020
  3. Confused about EFS encryption

Brink,

I also like your tutorial on finding EFS encrypted files here:

Find All Encrypted Files in Windows 10

The only downside is that it doesn't list folders that are encrypted. As a result, I like to turn on the option in File Explorer to show encrypted files and / or folders in color so that I can visually see if a folder has encryption set.

hsehestedt, May 13, 2020
  4. What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain?

Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, May 13, 2020
Thema:

What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain?

1. What is the best way to use EFS to encrypt a folder inside an AD domain? - Similar Threads - best EFS encrypt

2. Unable to open files encrypted using Windows EFS due to change in Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open files encrypted using Windows EFS due to change in Domain: Hi,I have encrypted some of folders and files using EFS technique i.e., Encrypt option under Properties. The system my login user name during the encryption. Due to the recent merger of my organization, the domain name was changed and my system was migrated to the new domain....
  3. Unable to open files encrypted using Windows EFS due to change in Domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open files encrypted using Windows EFS due to change in Domain: Hi,I have encrypted some of folders and files using EFS technique i.e., Encrypt option under Properties. The system my login user name during the encryption. Due to the recent merger of my organization, the domain name was changed and my system was migrated to the new domain....
  4. Unable to open files encrypted using Windows EFS due to change in Domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  6. EFS encryption

EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  7. EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. How to encrypt folders using EFS in Windows Server 2019?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to encrypt folders using EFS in Windows Server 2019?: Hi all, I am trying to setup EFS encryption on Postgres database folder. I started with creating certificate files pfx & cer. Then I added in group policy -> public key policies -> Encrypting file system. I also added this in Trusted Root certificates store. Then I tried to...
  9. How to encrypt folders using EFS in Windows Server 2019?

How to encrypt folders using EFS in Windows Server 2019?: Hi all, I am trying to setup EFS encryption on Postgres database folder. I started with creating certificate files pfx & cer. Then I added in group policy -> public key policies -> Encrypting file system. I also added this in Trusted Root certificates store. Then I tried to...
  10. EFS encryption for OneDrive folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS encryption for OneDrive folders: Hi, in our organization we have EFS encryption policy to encrypt all files and folders in Desktop and Documents. We are going to activate OneDrive For Business backup know folders synchronization but EFS stopped to encrypt local files on the Desktop everything ok for...