Windows 10: What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?

Discus and support What is the best WiFi repeater or extender? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What is the best WiFi repeater or extender? Can hardly pick up at times upstairs in back bedroom now and again. Especially when more devices join the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hollyoaks777, Feb 8, 2019.

1. What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?

What is the best WiFi repeater or extender? Can hardly pick up at times upstairs in back bedroom now and again. Especially when more devices join the network. With Sky fibre max broadband if that helps and it's the Sky Q hub if that helps too. Thanks in advance.

:)

hollyoaks777, Feb 8, 2019
  2. Leveller Win User

Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

First off, setting up a wifi repeater is one of the most ridiculously painful experiences I have ever had with tech hardware.

The needs:

... to be able to repeat the wifi output of my Netgear DG834N v1 ADSL/router to the upper floor of my house through the Edimax wireless 300M Range Extender (EW-7416APn v2). To enable my iPad2, 3DS, laptop and anything else that roams to maintain connection and not suffer dropouts.

The questions:

1. How do I know that the roaming devices are using the repeated signal from the Edimax extender and not just grasping on to the weak signal from the DG834N downstairs?

2. Some advice on the net suggest the router and the extender share the same SSID, which seems logical. However some suggest that the router and extender need to be on different SSIDs - but if this were the case surely the devices would only connect to the same SSID and ignore the other SSID?

3. If they use different SSIDs will the devices automatically pick the strongest signal and switch to whichever SSID that is?

4. Some advice suggests using the same channel number for both router and extender, which seems logical. Some advice suggests using different channel numbers for the router and extender - if using the same channel number, does this create too much data and make the connection worse?

5. If using different channel numbers, will the roaming devices automatically choose the right channel number based on connection strength?

6. While using the program WirelessMon I can see both the router and extender and their respective signal strengths, channel numbers and SSIDs - but there is no way of telling if the repeater is in fact repeating the routers signal - is there any software that will show that?

7. Is there any one trusted source for setting up a wifi repeater?

8. Will my hair grow back?

Leveller, Feb 8, 2019
  3. bencrutz Win User
    Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

1. you won't know. devices will choose the strongest signal automatically

2. if you are covering mobile devices (gadgets, laptops - moving location) it would be better of to use the same channel & SSID.

3. nope, AFAIK, that's not how it works.

4. i suggest u use the same channel & SSID. it won't make the connection any worse.

5. nope.

6. easy. your router connects to internet. if you get an internet connection from upstair, it means your repeater/extender is working properly

7. IDK, i believe i'm far far away from your location, so i can't tell

8. not likely.

bencrutz, Feb 8, 2019
  4. Wynona Win User

What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?

Setting Up a Second Router as a Repeater/Range Extender/Bridge

I am quite a distance from the modem/router (several acres property) and must use a Range Extender/Repeater.

Insider Build 16215 has knocked my WiFi into the next county, it seems and I find I must hard wire my computer to the router or Range Extender if I want Internet. Of course, the Range Extender (NetGear Nighthawk AC1900) is three rooms away from my computer equipment. Sigh . . .

I've had several suggestions over in the Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16215 PC + 15222 Mobile Forum, and thought it would be best to move this particular thread over here where it belongs rather than take up Insider Preview space.

One question I have is, "What is the difference between Range Extender, Repeater, Bridge, Electrical Extender, etc.

I've had suggestions for setting these up, but need to do more research and talking about it.

Wynona, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

What is the best WiFi repeater or extender?

1. What is the best WiFi repeater or extender? - Similar Threads - best WiFi repeater

2. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's Best !: Hi again, just been looking at my "Default apps" and wondered if I have the best! Looks like my music is set to "Windows Music player", my videos set to open with "Films and tv" and photo viewer with "Photo" ! All recommended by Microsoft ! I have tried VLC over the years but...
  3. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's Best !: Hi again, just been looking at my "Default apps" and wondered if I have the best! Looks like my music is set to "Windows Music player", my videos set to open with "Films and tv" and photo viewer with "Photo" ! All recommended by Microsoft ! I have tried VLC over the years but...
  4. What's Best !

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Wifi extender

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi extender: Netgear wifi extender. Windows 10 laptop. The extender is set up and running fine, phones are talking to it. Windows laptop can see it fine, but is still trying to connect to the real wifi router. Problem is that the internet keeps cutting in and out in the office, hence...
  6. wifi repeater

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    wifi repeater: Hallo i have a wireless-N wifi repeater and i plug it in but my computer does not read it ,what can i do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-repeater/9eb29236-06e9-48c9-ab03-289b5f8f2e9f
  7. wifi extender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wifi extender: My wifi extender connects to the wifi used by my router and works on my phone but not my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-extender/878e7736-e422-4ba8-a243-b223bd003ba3
  8. WIFI repeater?

WIFI repeater?: how do you know if you are well connected to your browser with your WIFI repeater? and do you have another name with your browser? like…._ext? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-repeater/7a1db641-c0d5-48a3-89db-b515730f1087
  9. re Wifi extender.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    re Wifi extender.: I installed a wifi TP extrender on my laptop and now even with it unplugged from the wall, it still shows on my network list. I want it out of my computer for good. Please help me remove all traces of it. thanks...
  10. Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters

Wi-Fi Extender/Repeaters: I was wanting to know somethings about those Wi-Fi extenders/repeaters.. Since I Wi-Fi off my sisters modem/router at distance and her cell phone is causing me not to send or receive data till she gets off her phone,, can I use one of them here in my home or does it have to...