Windows 10: What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates?

Discus and support What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Okay this is ridiculous. I know Microsoft does everything in their power to prevent users from being able to disable automatic restarts after updates,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ScandicMinecraft, Aug 8, 2020.

1. What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates?

Okay this is ridiculous. I know Microsoft does everything in their power to prevent users from being able to disable automatic restarts after updates, but I'm about to RETURN my copy of Windows 10 and legit go back to 8.1 if I can't disable this stupid feature.

Last night I got my first restart warning. I was like nope nope nope and looked up how to disable it. After several failed attempts, I found one set of instructions that worked. I downloaded PsTools from Microsoft and ran the command that lets me run Task Scheduler with all the permissions, and I disabled the update orchestrator tasks (both for AC and battery even though I'm on desktop). I removed all triggers and replaced the action with an empty batch file. I followed the instructions 100%, yet this morning I wake up to some lame welcome message about "oh look shiny new Microsoft Edge". I AM A LOYAL USER OF THE BRAVE BROWSER thank you very much.

The worst part is I had EIGHT Minecraft servers running full steam, pre-generating segments of a world, which takes DAYS to complete even using all 8 of my CPU cores. Now it's gonna take longer because I missed out an entire night's worth of processing to Microsoft's whim. I can't believe this, I followed the instructions 100%. It should've worked.

If it just can't be disabled then please just tell me straight out so I can go ahead and uninstall this crap and return it to the store. I'll gladly run Windows 8.1 for the rest of time. This is RIDICULOUS. Thanks in advance.

Also, how do I uninstall Edge? I want to take retribution for my lost work by uninstalling that BS.

submitted by /u/ScandicMinecraft
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ScandicMinecraft, Aug 8, 2020
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Disable automatics updates

Hi MelissaRobinson3.

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor.

I would like to help you.

You can try to disable automatic updates starting from the point that automatic updates behave like any service. Follow these steps:

* Press the Windows + R key, type services.msc in the execution bar and press the Enter key.

* In the list of processes locate the Windows Update and open it by clicking on it.

* To disable it, in the General tab, look for the field "Type of start" and change it to "Disabled".

* Restart the PC and the automatic updates will have gone down in history.

If at any time you want to activate them again, simply follow these steps again and change the startup type to "Automatic".

DouglasMillar69, Aug 8, 2020
  4. What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates?

Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

So the best "official" solution appears to be this:

1. Use (or upgrade to) Windows 10 Pro.
    2. Set the group policy settings, per the second comment in this thread.

The rest of us who are stuck with Windows 10 Home must try the various workaround solutions provided in this thread.

Setting your operating hours is a worthless solution, and the person who suggested that should hang their head in shame and never again post in this group. That might work for a corporate PC, but I use my PC at all times of the day with no regular pattern.
    Plus, you're only allowed to block off a maximum of 18 hours, which is unrealistic.

As far as I can tell, the only official solution is to enable the "Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating" in the advanced settings. But for some reason this option was disabled for me. I know for certain that I never disabled
    it, so Windows must have done that.

Alternatively, if you know you're going to be doing something that cannot be interrupted, you can pause updates for up to 35 days. This is not, however, a viable permanent solution.

And finally, I remember reading somewhere that Windows would not automatically restart if you were busy using the computer. This appears to no longer be the case. I was playing an online game the other day, when Windows decided to do an automatic restart.
    I had no warning. One moment I'm playing my game, the next I see a screen with "Restarting" in the middle.

I find it somewhat mind boggling that Microsoft decided to implement automatic restarts the way it has. Someone, somewhere, thinks this is a good idea. Whoever you are, know that you've made life more difficult for a lot of people.

Chad Cloman, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates?

1. What is the CORRECT way to disable automatic restarts after updates? - Similar Threads - CORRECT disable automatic

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  4. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Proper way to disable windows automatic updates?: I want to completely disable windows attempting to do updates unless i specifically click on the ''check for updates'' button myself.The only ways that i found to disable windows update end up breaking it completely and by extension makes me unable to download anything in the...
  6. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  7. How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?: First of all: Sorry to bring this up again, I'm sure this question probably gets asked a lot. But somehow I haven't found a working solution (or done something wrong). What I want is to completely prevent my PC from automatically restarting, only restart when I explicitly say...
  8. Automatic Restart After Automatic Update

Automatic Restart After Automatic Update: Dear Microsoft, I purchased Windows 10 Pro licenses for all of my computers so I could stop automatic updates and automatic restarts. Why do you insist on doing automatic updates and automatic restarts in spite of my choice to not do this? I did a Google search for...
  9. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Is there any REAL way to disable this cancer feature? This is not the first time i have lost unsaved work due to this annoying function, that almost every Windows user hates. I'm trying to behave, but it is really hard to keep calm after loosing unsaved work multiple...
  10. Does automatic restart after updates close open programs correctly?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does automatic restart after updates close open programs correctly?: Say I have Firefox open, and updates come in that require a reboot, and my downtime is after 5PM, and I'm not at the computer, and Windows decides to reboot by itself. Does Windows close Firefox correctly like a person would if they were done with it, and click the X button...