Windows 10: What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

Discus and support What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by junglee, Feb 8, 2019.

1. junglee Win User

What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same.

:)

junglee, Feb 8, 2019

2. /boot Partition?

[Solved] /boot Partition?

Ok, I like playing around with multiple operating systems so I tend to have a few installed at a time. My issue is related to the bootloader. Every new Linux OS I install installs its own version of Grub. That's fine until you delete that partition.... *Bang Head :banghead:

I was thinking about creating a small (ie ~50MB) partition that /boot will reside on. This way I can have one copy of Grub that would boot my several OS(s) depending on what they are. I think this is a good idea so I can delete one OS's partition and still be able to boot the other OS(s).

Unfortunately, I am not an expert with bootloaders and I'm not really sure how /boot has to do with booting. Can someone tell me how feasible my idea is? I'm looking for a way to have multiple OS(s) but only one bootloader so when I delete one OS, the bootloader will still be intact.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice is appreciated! *Smile What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition :)

angelkiller, Feb 8, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 8, 2019
  4. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

/boot Partition?

If you have a newer CPU, I would suggest using some Virtualization software.

Virtual machine software that's free like Virtual Box or a "to buy" one like Vmware...

You can install, mess with and even straight up destroy OS's in a nice, safe little sandbox, and it doesn't hamper a thing *Wink What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition ;)

Dippyskoodlez, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

1. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition - Similar Threads - difference between system

2. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  3. Difference between different partitions ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between different partitions ?: Need some answers. Please help.What is the difference between Physical and Logical partition in Windows ?Is it possible to create a Physical partition in laptops where the Windows is OEM installed , like HP laptops ?Why does the warranty void if a Physical partition created...
  4. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  5. What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between deleting and formatting a partition?: I just cleaned installed and wanted to know the difference. If I delete all partitions, do I still get rid of the malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-deleting-and/a54bc31f-0b33-4746-88e7-a994ad3eabc9
  6. Merge two partitions with a partition in between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Merge two partitions with a partition in between: I deleted a recovery partition 17G and want to merge it into my C partition but I have a System Reserved Partition in between the two. Is there a way to do this? I understand you have to keep the System Reserved in windows 10. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version21H1, build...
  7. Merge two partitions with a partition in between

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Merge two partitions with a partition in between: I deleted a recovery partition 17G and want to merge it into my C partition but I have a System Reserved Partition in between the two. Is there a way to do this? I understand you have to keep the System Reserved in windows 10. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version21H1, build...
  8. Efi partition between two partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Efi partition between two partitions: Hi, I have an asus tuf fx55dt laptop with a 256gb ssd that has windows installed on it and a 1 tb hard drive as well. I am going to list the series of events that took place : 1) I installed ubuntu by creating a 300gb partition on my hdd. 2) ubuntu was not booting up...
  9. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  10. Switch systems between partitions...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switch systems between partitions...: My PC is dual boot Windows XP/Windows 10. The system disk for XP is disk0 which is an SSD. The system disk for W10 is a partition on disk1 which is a hard disk. I'm at a point to consider W10 my "main" system, but still need to keep the dual boot configuration. So what I'd...