Windows 10: What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

Discus and support What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gron-Icus, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Gron-Icus Win User

What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown."
    Is there any difference?

:)

Gron-Icus, Aug 15, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 15, 2019
  3. My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Aug 15, 2019
  4. oldeboye Win User

Restart and shutdown do not function from START button

If I select restart or shutdown from the log in screen, they work. Both also work from safe mode with networking.

Nothing obvious in the event log.

Any suggestions for the next step?

oldeboye, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

1. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart? - Similar Threads - difference between Shutdown

2. What is the different between these kind of systems?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the different between these kind of systems?: What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7? I don't understand! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-different-between-these-kind-of/43967793-48e3-4f9d-81fc-1f9d43e5a30a
  3. what is the difference between these 2 examples

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between these 2 examples: whea_uncorrectable_error bsod is an indication of a hardware problem take for example these 2 people who got that bsod:- 1) person aaa - aaa is getting that bsod multiple times in the same day and it can happen randomly when the pc is being used, when it's being shut down,...
  4. What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?: So, there are two folders in C:\Windows called System32 and SysWOW64, and when i opened the folders they looked exactly the same. They even had the same copy of files like Command Prompt and Task Manager. Is there a difference in the files of these folders? Is one like a...
  5. Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difference between shutdown /s and Stop-Computer: What are the main differences in the way shutdown /s and Stop-Computer work? Was there any change in the recent updates that caused 'shutdown /s' to work differently. I couldn't find anything here:...
  6. What’s the difference between these windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the difference between these windows?: Right now I have windows 10 home. But I hear a lot about windows creator update? How do I know if I have this I’m not really sure if this is a whole is version or just an update.? If I don’t have it how do I go about getting it. I’m building a new pc and I’m installing a...
  7. is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is there a difference between restart and shutdown + manual reboot if fast boot is disabled ?: just wondering, i know that if fast boot is enabled, restart is a clean boot while shutdown is a semi hibernation mode. If its turned off, do both options clean boot, or is it switched around ? submitted by /u/Vulpera_is_coming [link] [comments]...
  8. What is the difference between features and capabilities?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between features and capabilities?: Is there a clear definition of package, feature and capabilities? My understanding is; Packages are file or group of files which is used to install a software App, driver?, feature, services, patches, update, on demand feature, anymore? into the OS. Features are...
  9. What is the difference between a factory reset and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between a factory reset and...: What is the difference between a factory reset and (I understand what a factory reset is) and creating a new user administrator and then deleting an old user administrator leaving only the new user. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks 132232
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is there any difference with your password betweem restart and shutdown

2. difference between restart and shutdown fo rupdates

3. difference between shutdown and restart