Windows 10: What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade

Discus and support What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] When it comes to Windows OS, Update and Upgrade terms may be confusing to some. Every time Microsoft rolls out a set of new features, many of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Dec 12, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade

WinClub, Dec 12, 2018
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Dec 12, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the difference between Windows Update and Upgrade - Similar Threads - difference between Update

2. What is the different between these kind of systems?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the different between these kind of systems?: What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7? I don't understand! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-different-between-these-kind-of/43967793-48e3-4f9d-81fc-1f9d43e5a30a
  3. what is the difference between these 2 examples

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between these 2 examples: whea_uncorrectable_error bsod is an indication of a hardware problem take for example these 2 people who got that bsod:- 1) person aaa - aaa is getting that bsod multiple times in the same day and it can happen randomly when the pc is being used, when it's being shut down,...
  4. What is the difference between a genuine Windows update and a cracked Windows update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between a genuine Windows update and a cracked Windows update?: Even when a person installs a cracked Windows OS, he/she still receives the same update as the person who's using a genuine Windows OS. So my question is what's so special about the Windows updates in a genuine Windows OS?...
  5. What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?: So, there are two folders in C:\Windows called System32 and SysWOW64, and when i opened the folders they looked exactly the same. They even had the same copy of files like Command Prompt and Task Manager. Is there a difference in the files of these folders? Is one like a...
  6. What’s the difference between these windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the difference between these windows?: Right now I have windows 10 home. But I hear a lot about windows creator update? How do I know if I have this I’m not really sure if this is a whole is version or just an update.? If I don’t have it how do I go about getting it. I’m building a new pc and I’m installing a...
  7. What is the difference between features and capabilities?

What is the difference between features and capabilities?: Is there a clear definition of package, feature and capabilities? My understanding is; Packages are file or group of files which is used to install a software App, driver?, feature, services, patches, update, on demand feature, anymore? into the OS. Features are...
  8. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  9. What is the difference between a factory reset and...

What is the difference between a factory reset and...: What is the difference between a factory reset and (I understand what a factory reset is) and creating a new user administrator and then deleting an old user administrator leaving only the new user. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks 132232
  10. What's the difference between these two Dell laptops (after upgrade)?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the difference between these two Dell laptops (after upgrade)?: Laptop 1: Inspiron 15 non-touch $549.99 Intel® Pentium® Processor N3700 128GB Solid State Drive 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1) yadda yadda Laptop 2: Inpiron 15 non-touch $449.99 ($399+$50 for CPU) Intel® Pentium® Processor N3700 (upgraded from Celeron) 128GB...