Windows 10: What is the difference in laptop screen technology

Discus and support What is the difference in laptop screen technology in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm aware that this is intended to be a software forum, but I've gotten some of my best help here and I have a hardware question. I do a lot of photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lbeck, Apr 5, 2018.

1. lbeck Win User

What is the difference in laptop screen technology

I'm aware that this is intended to be a software forum, but I've gotten some of my best help here and I have a hardware question. I do a lot of photo editing and I'm in the market for a new laptop. My 6 year old HP Pavilion dv6 has served me well except for the screen and I don't know what kind it has. If I tilt the screen up or down, or look at it sideways, the brightness and contrast changes. Also colors change to a lesser extent. I found this out the hard way by editing several hundred photos during the long trip from Hawaii to my home in NC. I spent most of 16 hours editing and had to redo it all once I looked at the photos on my desktop monitor, which I also don't know what technology it is.

There is a pretty good gaming computer available from Costco and I was about to buy it, but went to the Dell site and many users who gave it one star complained about the laptop screen - said it was like an old TN screen whatever that is. I have seen some computers claiming a TFT screen?

I googled something about laptop screens and found a site where there was a debate on laptop screens and again much of the technology discussed is unfamiliar to me.

Can someone enlighten me here or direct me to a good site where I can get some "screen education" before I purchase another laptop?

Thanks in advance.

:)

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
  2. GarySutt Win User

What is the difference in the purpose between these two network drive images?

and why can I not see the space available on Volume 2?

What is the difference in laptop screen technology [​IMG]

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

GarySutt, Apr 5, 2018
  3. What is the difference in the purpose between these two network drive images?

The moderator moved your post from ? to a Windows 10 Networking forum.

From the information you post it is not possible to say why the two boxes are different. Maybe Volume_2 does not return any size indication. Pointing at it with your mouse would generate a text bubble with these details (see below).

What is the difference in laptop screen technology [​IMG]

Frederik Long, Apr 5, 2018
  4. ap1978 Win User

ap1978, Apr 5, 2018
  5. lbeck Win User
    Thanks. It looks like an IPS screen is what I should look for.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
  6. fireberd Win User
    Looking at the published specs, this looks like a good video system
    I have a 2017 Dell Inspiron 15 5577 model which is sold as a "gaming" system. It is on a par with my desktop, that has an HD display. I don't use it for gaming, I use it in my recording studio but a gaming PC makes a good recording studio system.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
  7. You need at at least an IPS display with 178 degree viewing angles for any good color reproduction for photo editing. If you want a good display then OLED is the way to go, but those consume a bit more power and with age they tend to burn in ghost patterns.

The absolute best screens are factory calibrated HDR screens. They last long, has good color reproduction and viewing angle.

Go to Lenovo web pages and look at the latest X-series laptops for instance. If you need a Quadro card also then look at the P-series.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  8. What is the difference in laptop screen technology

If your 6 years old HP has served you well so far and only thing that had been bad was the screen, I'd go for the latest Lenovo Carbon X1 or Lenovo X1 Yoga. Both would serve you well for the next 6 years.

I will purchase the Yoga model with HDR screen, once it's available in my country.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  9. fireberd Win User
    I had (note had) a high end Lenovo Laptop. It did not serve me well. Would not consider another Lenovo.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
  10. Helmut Win User
    There is basically 2 screen technologies used in Laptops which are TN and IPS.

TN, is where the a different viewing angles change the colour, contrast etc.
    IPS, the colours are much more consistent with viewing angle.

IPS is a bit more expensive. The best one for photos.

A point to watch is Laptop manufacturers can supply different screens on nominally the same model in different stores/markets/countries, be very careful.
    TN Vs. IPS Vs. VA

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
  11. bobkn Win User
    TFT is Thin Film Transistor. Active Matrix is the same thing. They are LCD displays.

A while ago (1980s?), most laptop displays were passive. (Addressed from the edges of the display, by row and column.) That gave really poor images, with lots of artifacts. That technology is long gone.

OLED (organic LED) is potentially superior, which is why it's preferred for some high-end TVs. OLEDs are self-luminous: no backlight. They have wide viewing angles, and can have perfect blacks. Laptops with OLED display exist, but they are relatively uncommon and expensive.

IPS is the traditional preferred screen for photo editing. I don't know whether OLED will supplant it.

bobkn, Apr 6, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the difference in laptop screen technology - Similar Threads - difference laptop screen

2. what is the difference?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the difference?: What is the difference between the two versions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/f5b377c8-d7ed-4304-ad22-9ec47724ef96
  3. what is the difference?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is the difference?: What is the difference between the two versions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/f5b377c8-d7ed-4304-ad22-9ec47724ef96
  4. What is the difference between sleep mode and your screen turning off. For laptops.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the difference between sleep mode and your screen turning off. For laptops.: I have an HP laptop and I have the Steam store installed. I have set up Steam Link, so I can play some of my Steam games on my phone if I am out of town. I know I have to have my computer on for it to work while I am away. I see in my setting showing Screen off after so long...
  5. What is the difference between sleep mode and your screen turning off. For laptops.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the difference between sleep mode and your screen turning off. For laptops.: I have an HP laptop and I have the Steam store installed. I have set up Steam Link, so I can play some of my Steam games on my phone if I am out of town. I know I have to have my computer on for it to work while I am away. I see in my setting showing Screen off after so long...
  6. What is the difference between sleep mode and your screen turning off. For laptops.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. what's the difference between a lock screen and a screensaver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what's the difference between a lock screen and a screensaver: what's the difference between the lock screen and screensaver settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/whats-the-difference-between-a-lock-screen-and-a/93843e69-55bf-42f0-b17c-d3b1d73daae5
  8. What's the difference

in Windows 10 Customization
    What's the difference: I currently live in Japan and need to buy a new laptop. All of the laptops that suit my need say they are running windows 10 64bit Japanese version and I'm not sure what the difference would be to the one I am used to in New Zealand if there is any. Also would I be able to...
  9. What is the difference

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference: What is the difference, which one is best to download? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference/044fb396-f3fd-4b50-ad82-7539bafd07e8
  10. What's the difference in laptop monitor types?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What's the difference in laptop monitor types?: I bought a HP Pavilion dv6 a couple of years ago and am marginally satisfied. I ordered it with upgraded RAM, CPU, and blu-ray burner. What I didn't pay attention to is the monitor. Now that I am into photo editing there is frustration with the picture looking different based...