Windows 10: What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?

Discus and support What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? How does this feature work? I can't understand what is the feature and How I can test it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PI_Daniel, Aug 14, 2019.

1. PI_Daniel Win User

What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?

Hello,

What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? How does this feature work?

I can't understand what is the feature and How I can test it?

Thanks

:)

PI_Daniel, Aug 14, 2019
  2. Linus Win User

Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

In Windows 10 there is this option called "Hide pointer while typing" under
    Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options

What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? [​IMG]

The idea behind this option makes really sense.
    However, it does not seem to have any effect on the following apps I tried. They all behave in the following ways regardless of whether this option is checked or not:

• Notepad and WordPad: Pointer is always hidden while typing.
    • Notepad++: Pointer is never hidden while typing.
    • MS Word 2016: Pointer is hidden while typing; however hitting the shift key makes it reappear, which of course happens all the time while typing resulting in a flickering pointer...

The behaviour of Word 2016 is the worst of all. While I would prefer the pointer really being hidden while typing, a pointer that is never hidden is still better than that flickering pointer!

Can anybody confirm this behaviour or knows how to resolve it?

Linus, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Linus Win User
    Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

Thanks for your additional suggestions.

Today though I checked two other PCs at the office both running Windows 10 with Word 2013 and Word 2016 respectively.

In Word 2013, everything is fine. I.e. the mouse pointer stays hidden while typing, even when you press the shift key.
    In Word 2016, it was like I described: the mouse pointer always reappears when you press the shift key.

So I conclude that it must be a bug (feature??) of Word 2016.
    That's what you get for being an early adopter. *Smile

I might open a bug report with Microsoft.

That the setting in mouse properties of Windows 10 does not have any effect on any program is still another issue. But this is not as bad as that annoying pointer flickering in Word 2016.

Linus, Aug 14, 2019
  4. What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?

Pointers

Points are simply a value (address) that "points" to a value. It has no extra information about what it is pointing to (hence the danger). When using arrays/indexers, the operating system knows this is a collection that is this long and is of this type. Any operation that steps outside of those constraints is caught and handled. On the other hand, if a pointer so much as points to the wrong address, all the values will subsequently be wrong.

Pointers are faster but more risky.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature?

1. What is the "Hide pointer while typing" feature? - Similar Threads - Hide pointer while

2. "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications: I would like to highlight this feature, since my pointer is ALWAYS where I am about to type textboxes, programming, forms filing etc.Toggle location: Mouse Properties > Pointer Options > "Hide pointer while typing" settingSeems like Microsoft abandoned development of this...
  3. "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Hide pointer while typing" does only work in few applications: I would like to highlight this feature, since my pointer is ALWAYS where I am about to type textboxes, programming, forms filing etc.Toggle location: Mouse Properties > Pointer Options > "Hide pointer while typing" settingSeems like Microsoft abandoned development of this...
  4. Large mouse pointer hides tooltips

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Large mouse pointer hides tooltips: I have a 27 inch 1920*1080 monitor and I'm using a mouse pointer size 3 as I find this makes the mouse pointer easier to find.However in many online apps the mouse pointer the HAND overlays a tooltip so I cant see what the tooltip says.It also overlays parts of drop down...
  5. The pointer doesnt hide when ı am typing

in Windows 10 Customization
    The pointer doesnt hide when ı am typing: fare ayarlarında "hide pointer while typing" aktif olmasına rağmen yazı yazarken fare yok olmuyor bir çözümü var mıdır ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-pointer-doesnt-hide-when-%C4%B1-am-typing/4df43cf1-12b0-4eb6-8b41-3a4884ebb5bd
  6. mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing: My laptop mouse pointer and cursor interfere while typing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer-and-cursor-interfere-while-typing/9130ad0e-5aba-4104-ac5e-0a273b7efce6
  7. Auto Snap to function of the pointer while typing.

Auto Snap to function of the pointer while typing.: I am trying to find out how to stop the autosnap function of the mouse pointer while I am typing. It seems to occur everywhere but here. Where do you adjust this function?...
  8. hide pointer while typing doesn't work?

hide pointer while typing doesn't work?: I cannot get my cursor to disappear while typing. It is really messing with a few programs I use. - Yes, I double checked the mouse settings; hide pointer while typing is checked. - Drivers are all up to date with none of them recently being updated to change anything. I...
  9. Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse settings: Hide pointer while typing has no effect: In Windows 10 there is this option called "Hide pointer while typing" under Control Panel -> Mouse -> Pointer Options [img] The idea behind this option makes really sense. However, it does not seem to have any effect on the following apps I tried. They all behave in...
  10. Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows How to Turn On or Off Hide Pointer While Typing in Windows By default in Windows, the pointer is automatically hidden while typing to ensure that the pointer doesn't block your view of the text you're typing....