Windows 10: What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not...

Discus and support What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Red dots with a x have appeared on my file folders after transferring pictures from a back up drive to a new dell system, What do they mean? How do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArthurAlgeo, Jul 20, 2019.

1. What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not...

Red dots with a x have appeared on my file folders after transferring pictures from a back up drive to a new dell system, What do they mean? How do I correct ? files look ok but some of the pictures are not opening on their own.

:)

ArthurAlgeo, Jul 20, 2019
  2. lbeck Win User

what does red x mean in file explorer?

I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the symbols remain. Also, trying to access some files that I thought were saved are missing. Maybe I didn't actually save them or maybe there's another problem like trying to save to an "X"d folder.

What do these troubling symbols mean and how can I return to a clean File Explorer?

ADDED LATER:

Still looking for a solution I found here that the problem may be related to MSFT One Drive, which I was working with when the problem surfaced. As far as I can tell from the help, the "sync" operation is working. One Drive works okay on my desktop machine and no red x has ever shown previously or now.

Then, I see that the avast antivirus program may use a red x? see the screen capture. but Avast says no threats. Also, McAfee came preloaded on this new laptop and I'm unfamiliar with it's notifications and maybe the red x means that Avast is not working because McAfee is??

just some more clues.....

What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not... [​IMG]

lbeck, Jul 20, 2019
  3. SlavaB. Win User
    File Explorer shows red "x" mark at a folder name

File Explorer shows red "x" mark next to a folder symbol, however this folder is accessible and seems all right. What does red "x" mark mean? Thank you

SlavaB., Jul 20, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not...

Red X symbol in front of Documents folder

Hi Rhonda_M

That red X, if it is in the bottom left corner of the Documents Icon, means OneDrive has not been successful in syncing that folder, there may be just one file in that folder which OneDrive cannot sync . .

The documents folder contains a lot of application data that is specific to each user. your best option is to have a folder inside the documents folder for all your files

Then in OneDrive Settings remove the documents folder form the list of synced items and add that folder winch contains only your files . . .

DaveM121, Jul 20, 2019
Thema:

What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not...

1. What is the meaning of the red dot (X) on file folders ? How does one clear them? I see not... - Similar Threads - meaning red dot

2. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this red X mean?: I'm getting message that Onedrive is 102% full. And then I went to desktop and there are red X's next to folders. What does the red X mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-red-x-mean/f7a2e311-38f9-4fde-adc9-9a0db4a46c2e
  3. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this red X mean?: I'm getting message that Onedrive is 102% full. And then I went to desktop and there are red X's next to folders. What does the red X mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-red-x-mean/f7a2e311-38f9-4fde-adc9-9a0db4a46c2e
  4. small red x by Administrator account, what does it mean & how to clear it?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    small red x by Administrator account, what does it mean & how to clear it?: Have a small red x by Administrator account, what does it mean & how to clear it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-red-x-by-administrator-account-what-does-it/05480f0c-7dea-4deb-932e-634597c06468
  5. What does this red X mean?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does this red X mean?: I just did a Clean Install and restored some files and folders from my data drive. This is first time I've ever seen these red Xs and don't know what they indicate. I also see them in File Explorer. Thank you. 165396
  6. What does a red circle with an x mean

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does a red circle with an x mean: I am showing a red circle with an x inside on some files and do not know what that means. I tried adding a screen shot but it could not be added to this post Herman...
  7. Files and folders with red x ?

Files and folders with red x ?: Help please, today i see small red x on all my files and folders. Why is this and what can i do to resolve the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-and-folders-with-red-x/6f31a649-110d-4da5-9607-71bc655c7b26
  8. what does the red X on the outlook icon mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what does the red X on the outlook icon mean?: the Outlook icon on my taskbar has a red X on it. It didn't have it yesterday and the outlook app appears to be working ok. Can anyone explain what the red X means? TIA...
  9. Folders Available But Red X Beside Them

Folders Available But Red X Beside Them: This isn't new to Windows 10, but I'll bet someone will have a good solution for me. Sometimes network folders will go offline at some point, causing the user's Windows Explorer to mark the mapped folder as offline with a red X beside it. Then it'll come back but nothing...
  10. what does red x mean in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    what does red x mean in file explorer?: I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folder red dot windows

2. What does the symbol of a red circle with a white X mean in windows 10

3. what does a red dot on the file explorer icon mean

4. why does my onedrive icon have a red x,
  5. red dot appearing on a folder ,
  6. onedrive red x icon on folder,
  7. microsoft file explorer red dots by documents with x through dot