Windows 10: What is the new RecoveryImage directory?

Discus and support What is the new RecoveryImage directory? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded from (retail) 8.1 Pro to 10 and this new directory appeared in root of C:/ containing Install.wim and a file saying Code: Upgrade will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by adamf, Oct 4, 2014.

1. adamf Win User

What is the new RecoveryImage directory?

I upgraded from (retail) 8.1 Pro to 10 and this new directory appeared in root of C:/ containing Install.wim and a file saying

Code: Upgrade will not replace the on-disk recovery image if this file is present. Do not delete or modify this file. Build ID: 9841.0.amd64fre.fbl_release.140912-1613[/quote] Any ideas what is it for? To restore back to 8.1? I'd like to delete it if possible to save space but the phrase "do not delete" is putting me off.

:)

adamf, Oct 4, 2014
  2. aikibrown Win User

New E70 - What is the processor speed?

Does anybody have details of the E70's processor speed?

Based on the currently available specs this phone seems to be exactly what Im looking for to replace my 9300. My only concern is whether or not it performs better than the 9300 at opening and viewing reasonably sized documents such as pdf, word and spreadsheets.
    I find that my 9300 is woefully slow at this and at times it is practically unuseable as a business phone.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

aikibrown, Oct 4, 2014
  3. New E70 - What is the processor speed?

if you find the 9300 slow, then it will be unlikely that the e70 will be any better.

i also use a 9300 for work and find that it is very adequate for sending and receiving emails with attachments etc.

whilst i am unable to open complex spreadsheets all the time, i am able to open large word documents and very large pdf's with no problems at all.

seraphim---01, Oct 4, 2014
  4. LittleJay Win User

I upgraded from a copy of W7 and have that same RecoveryImage folder. I am tempted to try deleting it to see what happens. I have a couple system images of W10 created so if anything goes wrong I can do a restore.

LittleJay, Oct 4, 2014
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I think it does exactly what is says. Prevents a Windows 10 upgraded from replacing the on-disk recovery image. This may be in response to how Widows 8.1 upgrade trashed refresh and recovery.

If I'm right, you should still be able to use the built in recovery to restore your computer to it's factory new state, if it has not already been ruined by the Windows 8/8.1 upgrade. It would apply to new computers that shipped with Windows 8.1 I think.

Just a guess. Not finding anything useful searching the internet on this.

Ztruker, Oct 4, 2014
  6. adamf Win User
    Not sure either - I upgraded a clean retail install (on a MacBook so no OEM partitions) of 8.1 so quite what it thinks it is saving I'm not sure. Odd to have this and Windows.old as well.

adamf, Oct 4, 2014
  7. caperjack Win User
    a bit off topic maybe ,but ,I installed win10 on it own drive ,and I disconnect my main drive and hook up the separate drive for win10, ran it for 3 days ,got automatic updates today ,so just to paly around a bit I tried to do a refresh, it would not do one ,told me files were missing [just like you would get in a win8.1 upgrade] so I did a system restore back to the first day I installed win10, still gives the same message when I try refresh ,

caperjack, Oct 4, 2014
  8. essenbe Win User

I did a refresh and so far it's working. It gave 3 options, wipe the drive clean to do a fresh install, leave your files and refresh, or remove all files and programs and refresh. I did the last one and it was just like a clean install. There was no option that I could see to revert back to your old OS.

essenbe, Oct 5, 2014
  9. That is exactly why.

EvilJenius, Oct 9, 2014
  10. Saltgrass Win User
    The suppositions are probably correct, but just wanted to give the specifics of the install.

This says the Windows Tools are in Partition 6 on Hard Disk 1. On my system, Partition 6 is the original Factory Image partition.

It shows the OS image to be in partition 4, which is the OS partition and the RecoveryImage folder which is being asked about in this thread. I am wondering, since it shows Index 1, if the information below means both index 1 and index 2 are the same or comparable images......

The install.wim image information is shown below.

As currently configured, the system will not be able to reset back to Windows 8..

Saltgrass, Oct 11, 2014
  11. Tews Win User
    The only way I install Alpha versions of Windows, is if I have previously made a full system image with Macrium Professional. That way if 10 screws the pooch, I can easily restore Windows 8.1. It really amazes me that most users dont bother to use imaging as a part of their recovery process.... well, live and learn I guess.. *Tongue

12. essenbe Win User
    I have the technical Preview installed on 2 computers. One was through Windows Update and the other was through a clean install. I have done restores on both of them. neither time was one of the options I had to select to go back to Windows 7. They were always to go back to a clean install of technical preview, go to a clean install keeping my personal files (but not programs) or to wipe the disk clean.

essenbe, Oct 11, 2014
  13. Tews Win User

And that's the way it should be done Steve *Thumbs

14. essenbe Win User
    Thanks, and BTW, I have system images of my Windows 7 with 3 different imaging programs. So, whatever happens, I'll be OK.

essenbe, Oct 13, 2014
  15. rseiler Win User
    But like adamf said, and I can confirm, this directory appears on upgrades of non-OEM installs of 8.1 that have no recovery directory in the first place, so there is nothing to save.

I'm going to go ahead and move this directory off to another partition, and if nothing breaks with the next build upgrade, eventually delete it.

rseiler, Oct 13, 2014
Thema:

1. What is the new RecoveryImage directory? - Similar Threads - RecoveryImage directory

2. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  3. Cannot use recent locations list to change directories

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot use recent locations list to change directories: Several times per day, Windows Explorer will have a problem where I can show the list of recent locations by pressing Ctrl+L or clicking the address bar, but when I try to click one of the locations or type one manually, it does nothing. There is no consistency in what I'm...
  4. Help! I got a duplicate folder which has the same name and is located in the same directory.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help! I got a duplicate folder which has the same name and is located in the same directory.: I cannot delete it, rename it or move it. When I try to delete it, it will say that the file is not located there anymore. I have tried to use command prompt yet nothing worked. I delete the original folder but the duplicate still exist but doesn't contain anything even if it...
  5. Help! I got a duplicate folder which has the same name and is located in the same directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! I got a duplicate folder which has the same name and is located in the same directory.: I cannot delete it, rename it or move it. When I try to delete it, it will say that the file is not located there anymore. I have tried to use command prompt yet nothing worked. I delete the original folder but the duplicate still exist but doesn't contain anything even if it...
  6. Help! I got a duplicate folder which has the same name and is located in the same directory.

7. Setup Was Unable To Create the Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup Was Unable To Create the Directory: Hi, dear Customer Support,I've been facing a problem for the last 2 days while trying to install my software " Gemvision Matrix". As I'm running the installation program it says, " Setup was unable to create the directory," and the address is,"C:\Users\Corei9\OneDrive\??".It...
  8. Setup Was Unable To Create the Directory

Setup Was Unable To Create the Directory: Hi, dear Customer Support,I've been facing a problem for the last 2 days while trying to install my software " Gemvision Matrix". As I'm running the installation program it says, " Setup was unable to create the directory," and the address is,"C:\Users\Corei9\OneDrive\??".It...
  9. No Install.esd or C:\RecoveryImage

in Windows 10 Support
    No Install.esd or C:\RecoveryImage: I have started with 10130 and have 10166. I am not finding install.esd or C:\RecoveryImage in my installation. Somewhere in forum I read install.esd is available in $windows.~BtT folder. When I did search I am not finding it in C:\. Am I missing something? 8045
  10. Different install.esd in C:\RecoveryImage and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Different install.esd in C:\RecoveryImage and C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources: So, i have installed Windows 10 technical preview a while back using the media that I created from the 10041 build. Yesterday, via Fast Ring updates, I got the 10130 release installed. I was going to take the install.esd and make an installable ISO from it. I was surprised...