Windows 10: What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?

Discus and support What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to put a larger hard drive on my laptop. What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DennisCollins Jr., Nov 24, 2018.

1. What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?

I would like to put a larger hard drive on my laptop. What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?

:)

DennisCollins Jr., Nov 24, 2018
  2. LonGun Win User

Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Jessen P Win User
    USB Drive 64gb can't transfer a 10gb file.

Hi,

Please answer the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try transferring the same file to another USB drive and check if the error persists?
    • Did you try to transfer another file of the same size to the USB drive?
    FAT32 file system does not support that large size of file transfer. As you rightly mentioned you have to convert the file system to NTFS for such huge file transfers to take place.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jan 29, 2020
  4. What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?

USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another?

1. What is the proper way to transfer the system from one drive to another? - Similar Threads - proper transfer system

2. How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to transfer windows installation from one drive to another.: I recently purchased an NVMe drive and I'm trying to transfer the windows installation to that drive. I've already transferred all the data and recovery partitions using MiniTool partition wizard, and I've changed the boot priority to the new drive in BIOS but it's still...
  3. Transferring the Users from one drive to another.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring the Users from one drive to another.: I got a new HDD and i would like to move my existing User to that new drive. how do i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transferring-the-users-from-one-drive-to-another/f0bb506e-2d91-4bc5-9461-0efe31c2d568
  4. Transfer from one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer from one hard drive to another?: I had a 120GB SSD and decided, since I'm running low on space, to upgrade to a 480GB SSD. However, I wanted to use the 120GB for something else now (Linux) and then use the 480GB as the main hard drive. That being said, since my Windows 10 OS (and saved files) is on my 120GB...
  5. Programs not running properly after transferring from one account to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not running properly after transferring from one account to another: A while ago, when I updated my computer, Windows decided that it couldn't log into my Microsoft account, and it instead logged me into a temporary account. I didn't find a fix for this problem, but as a workarround, I created a 2nd local account and moved everything in my old...
  6. Transfer My Documents folder from an one drive to another

Transfer My Documents folder from an one drive to another: I installed a new SSD and a new operating system on it and it has created a My Documents folder. However I have my original My Documents folder on the HDD and I'd like to transfer it over and replace the other folder with that name. Could someone explain how to do it?...
  7. Transferring Data from one internal drive to another

Transferring Data from one internal drive to another: Hello, I want to get a new hard drive that is faster and has more storage, and I have one picked out. What I need help with is figuring out how I can transfer all of my current information to the new drive when I get it. I am looking for something like a 3rd party solution or...
  8. cant transfer photo from one drive to another

cant transfer photo from one drive to another: cant transfer photo from one drive to another folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-transfer-photo-from-one-drive-to-another/1f454e8d-a2bd-469a-9987-e4d206b66fb5"
  9. transfer one hard drive to another?

transfer one hard drive to another?: How to I transfer One Hard drive to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-one-hard-drive-to-another/0999f86b-9ea6-439b-84b4-e510b8a0e59a"
  10. Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfering Hard Drive from one computer to another: I have an old computer that has win 10 on a SSD. I'd like to transfer the old SSD to a completely new rig and get rid of the old hardware. How do I do it?...