Windows 10: What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?

Discus and support What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need to reduce the volume of my C:\ drive by about half; it is a 222GB partition of an SSD drive at the moment. My plan is just to move as many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sbpetrack, Mar 11, 2019.

1. sbpetrack Win User

What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?

I need to reduce the volume of my C:\ drive by about half; it is a 222GB partition of an SSD drive at the moment. My plan is just to move as many folders that are today in C:\ to the internal non-SSD drive of my laptop, and replace the folders with "shortcuts" to the real folders. It seems that I have enough space to keep the folders Program Files, Program Files (x86), Prorgran Data, Users, and Windows intact on the soon-to-be-shrunk partition.

WHen I began to carry this out, of course I discovered that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" when I tried to drag-and-drop "create a shortcut here" to the C:\ drive. I am not asking for a work-around. But I'd like to learn if there is some rational reason that MS makes me do a whole little series of annoying and useless mouse-clicks to accomplish what I wanted to do.

It's as if the dialog box that pops up really should say "windows can't make a shortcut here ,,,, unless we first annoy the sh*t out of you. Enjoy the REST of your day (i.e. the part AFTER the next 10 mouse ciicks -- they're on us)."

I can't help but hope that the energy that was spent making it difficult to put a shortcut where i'd like it to go was done for a higher purpose.

THanks for any insight/explanation.

:)

sbpetrack, Mar 11, 2019
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ? :)

terrace, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

I didn't see on your list using Win-X to bring up the basic setup of system tools like the original control panel, easy access to device manager, etc. not technically a list of commands, but at least a shortcut *Smile What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ? :)

Ahhzz, Mar 11, 2019
  4. What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ?

1. What is the **reason** that "Windows can't make a shortcut here" ? - Similar Threads - **reason** can't shortcut

2. What’s the issue here?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What’s the issue here?: I installed GTA IV on Windows 7 which I had before I upgraded to windows 10. I used the Games For Windows Live disc and everything went fine. But now when I run the game as admin in windows 10 I get this error...
  3. What’s the issue here?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What’s the issue here?: I installed GTA IV on Windows 7 which I had before I upgraded to windows 10. I used the Games For Windows Live disc and everything went fine. But now when I run the game as admin in windows 10 I get this error...
  4. What happened here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happened here?: When I pressed Alt+F4 on the Desktop, it opened the Shutdown options prompt, as usual. I clicked "Hibernate" from the drop-down menu, then this came up-I don't know if something is wrong with my system, or it's just a typo. Please let me know....
  5. What is going on here?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is going on here?: I get regular System Interrupts that eat my CPU whenever I do anything. All I have hooked up is a wired mouse and a cool pad obviously with no data wires when nothing is connected to it and I don't, nor have I ever had anything connected to it. This configuration has not...
  6. Activate Windows for what reason?!?!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows for what reason?!?!: Hello, I recently purchased Windows 10 Pro... At least back in April or somewhat. Then now in June, it just randomly told me to "Activate Windows" like.. are you kidding me? I payed almost 300 dollars to get a watermark on the bottom of my screen saying "Activate Windows"....
  7. Making shortcuts with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making shortcuts with Windows 10: Is it possible to make desktop shortcuts for websites with Microsoft Edge? I can make them with Internet Explorer but they don't seem to work with Edge. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-shortcuts-with-windows-10/0ce60b30-e290-466b-8740-9691396ff1d3
  8. I can't make shortcuts for some things

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't make shortcuts for some things: I have been trying to make short cuts for a few things it goes to my desktop but when i go to use it the short cut isn't there, what can I do to fix this? Thank you 114567
  9. I can't make shortcuts for somethings

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't make shortcuts for somethings: I have been trying to make short cuts for a few things it goes to my desktop but when i go to use it the short cut isn't there, what can I do to fix this? Thank you 114567
  10. Make a Windows Update shortcut?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Make a Windows Update shortcut?: I'd like to have an icon or shortcut to Windows Update, preferably in the Start Window. Currently I have to type "Update" in search to get there. 3 steps, very clunky. In Windows 7 we had a link in the Start > Programs Menu. Something like that. 40207